How much are you paying for your martial arts lessons

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by oneninja, May 28, 2004.

1. oneninja

oneninja Valued Member

I would like to know or get some comparisons to work with. I have enrolled my grand daughter in USA karate here in Illinois.She will be learning Tang soo do.hapkido,judo and kobudo.They are charging us 7500.00 for a three year black belt program.I studied martial arts for many years and this seems to be alot of money,I would appreciate any comparisons or comments.One of my friends sons studied at this school and had nothing but good things to say about it.Any info would be greatly appreciated.This school is a referral only school,my grand daughter has been in classes for about two months and the instructor says she is showing great potential and says he wants to enroll her in the black belt leadership program ie 7500.00 dollars.Again I would greatly appreciate any help with this situation.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

7500 dollars? That really is a LOT of money... In my style of jujutsu, the costs are £2 a session for members of the club, and a year's membership costs £10. That equates to a cost (assuming 3 sessions a week, which is about all I can make) of 10 + 52x6 = £322 per year for jujutsu 3 times a week (2 hours each session). Now I know that my classes are fairly cheap for over here, but even doubling the cost doesn't come close to your figure of 2500 dollars a year.

I guess it all depends on if you think it's worth it, but from here I'd say that signing up for a 3 year contract with these people would be a really bad plan. Even without knowing what they do.

3. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

I pay £10 for 3 hours of lesson and an hour of teaching tuition. Then weekend courses of 4-6 hours are usually £15 which again is still cheaper than that course.

How many hours per week does it pay for?

4. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

We pay 3.50 per lesson, 1.50 for kids (under 16s). You can do 3 sessions a week.
    Club membership is £12 per year adults, £11.50 per year kids.

We don't have anyone making a living from it in our club though, so we only need to cover costs.

5. bigd

bigd New Member

this seems to be alot of money,

It is

6. HK Pedestrian

HK Pedestrian New Member

That is too much money and too much time. They are probably crooks. Those kinds of schools typically have you sign a huge contract like that and then make life at the school as miserable as possible for the student until they quit. If you've paid up front, they keep it. If you have a monthly arrangement and then stop paying, they send the collection agencies after you. Scams like this are very popular, they enable the "instructors" to collect a big fat fee from you every month for nothing.

DO NOT SIGN THE CONTRACT!!!

Also, those are too many martial arts to be learning at one time.

-HKP

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

That really is a lot of money, but then you said she'd be learning four arts at once? Discounting the confusion factor in that, it sounds a little more reasonable cost-wise. The "3 year black belt program" sounds a little worrying though...
    I pay £3 (about $5.50) per lesson and go twice a week, and my club membership is £20 a year

8. Jax

Jax New Member

I train 4 times a week costs £5 a lesson for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours, i worked this out it still only comes to £1040 a year, so that would be a whole lot cheaper then $7500, and i can stop when/if i want to. I agree with these lot do not sign anything, if you do you could find yourself paying out for a long time even if you stop training.

9. Stealth

Stealth New Member

Have you taken a look at the school yet? Is your friend's son any good? I think it would be best to take a look at the school before signing anything.

10. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

45 dollars per month.......... uniform and equipment included............for 5 days a week for around 1hr & 15mins is what've been noticing in time

hows that???

I have seen cheaper rates at 25 or 30 dollars a month, but they only trained like 2 or 3 days a week, so....I guess you can say it's about the same:confused:

11. sean

sean THOR!

I pay £25 a month for 2 lessons a week each 2 and a bit hours long, and also £27 for insurance and you get a free Dobok with it :)

Also, I would say that if she is very young (below 10 or 12) then enrolling in 5 lessons a week in 4 different styles is TOO much and she will become burnt out and de-motivated losing ALOT of money.

So as was said before on many occasions, do not sign anything, keep it relaxed on a pay as you play basis, and if she decides she doesnt want to keep it up, theres no loss.

I hope this helps

-Sean

12. Adam

Adam New Member

I pay about 3$ a class. Get her the HELL out of that MA school, you're being scammed!

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Well, he's going to say that - Isn't he!

It's clearly too much money. :(

Cheers. :)

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

My students pay £25 per month for 2 x 2hr classes per week plus all manner of impromptu sessions that spring up (Like all tomorrow afternoon!)

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I'm sure that there is a Mc somewhere in here. :D

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I hope they allow you 3 years to pay it.

What are the terms?

Cheers. :)

17. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

RUN WHILE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR SOULS! Or did you already sign a contract for them...

18. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

I don't pay for my classes, they come with the membership to the gym. But when i did pay it was 24 dollars a month. for three days a week. 2 hr classes but you could stay and practice all you wanted afterwords.

19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Do not, do not, do not, do not, do not, do not sign her up for this.

Remove her from the school and take her somewhere decent. What an absolute ridiculous ripoff. Get her out, definitely.

Things to avoid:

1. "black belt programmes"
    2. Paying 7500 dollars for anything to do with martial arts unless they can program you like the matrix.
    3. Karate USA, evidently.

I'm sure some people on here will give you some good advice on where to send her instead of this nice little money-spinner.

20. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Run, and don't look back! That's crazy! Here's what I pay:
    $90.00/3 month interval. 90 * 4 = $360.00/year.

I get two sessions of kung fu, and one session of kickboxing a week. These sessions last two hours. Training at home is free. ;)

My Sifu also is kind in a way that I go to his house in the summer and train, for free!

Man, I never knew I was getting such a deal!

As a child I can remember my parents paying $60.00USD/month (we're Canadian) for Karate instruction. Throw my sister in there too, and I really don't know how they managed to keep us in it. From my experience (I'm eighteen now) I feel kind of ****ed to see my parents ripped off like that. Take her somewhere's else. Shell avoid the McBelt, and have a great time learning from a person who isn't in martial arts for the money.

Last edited: May 28, 2004