How many styles are too many and what complements eachother)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CauliflowerEar, Jun 9, 2015.

1. CauliflowerEar

CauliflowerEar New Member

I'm looking Into starting martial arts, I've done boxing and Muay Thai in the past and TKD when I was a kid (didn't like TKD). I'm wanting to try another route other than boxing and Muay Thai.

How many arts is too many because I'm looking at starting up to 3 arts where training spreads over all 7 days of the week due to me working away for up to 3 weeks a month and regularly work away for a day to a few days a week on top of that so I would like a training class to be available whichever days I happen to be home if that makes sense. I'm looking into starting ;

Knockdown style karate (doesn't seem to be available in Newcastle)
    Kali
    Hrjj
    Bjj
    Judo
    Wrestling

I think my heart is set on Kali atm and for the other two what would compliment each other the best and not get in the way as to speak of training the other it would have to have some decent sparring involved aswell, so what do you guys think will be the best suited styles?

Thanks in advance

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You can learn 3/4 styles without too much trouble. One striking art, one wrestling art, one ground art, and one weapon art. Or Sambo and kali.

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

If you are an experienced martial artist practicing several arts at once need not be a problem. once past a certain level most arts are essentially variations on the same theme.In fact having a rounded experience in a number of arts is a good idea. because it gives new insight into your principle art/s.

However for beginners it can be hard because although arts meet in the middle they can start from radically different places creating apparent conflicts in, habit, practice, or theory that can be hard to reconcile with a beginners understanding.

That said - a standing striking art, and a ground fighting grappling art and you should be starting at two points distant enough to avoid confusion.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. CauliflowerEar

Cheers for reply, I would love to try sambo but there's no classes I know of on my area. Would it be worth doing wrestling if I done both bjj and judo?

5. CauliflowerEar

I'm not a complete novice my history is a year of boxing and about 6-8 months of Muay Thai can't remember exact I don't think that makes me experienced? No matter what I do it will be hard cause I'm about 3 stone heavier than when I was training lol but I will push through it won't be the first time. Which arts are you thinking about for ground and standing? Does kali count as a striking art for the hand to hands part of it?

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My advice is to figure out what is the area that fits your travel time, work schedule, and budget. Then go to those schools and speak to the instructor about what you are looking for and see if you can do some trial classes. After the trial classes, pick the school(s) that fit you best.

To start out, I would probably recommend starting with one style and then adding another. My personal opinion is that it's good to spend your time and focus on as few items as possible. You can study several arts at once but that cuts into the time to process and practice those skills. It may be better to train in one until you get a decent foundation, then add another to mix and so on.

I would probably pick one standup art and one grappling art to start with, and talk to the instructors to see how they feel about helping you integrate those skills.

What's in your area?

7. CauliflowerEar

I'm in Newcastle, England. I've been in contact with pretty much all of the above about trial classes apart from karate cause I can't find any. I'm just trying to work out which I prefer and what would be best

8. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I would also point out that a problem with grappling arts (and I do them myself) is that if you can't get to class for whatever reason, you can't really practice them that much.

You can still practice Karate etc... when you are by yourself. Before anyone starts linking youtube clips of Jason Scully shrimping, I am aware there are movement based exercises for BJJ/Grappling solo training. I've never found them to be much use to be honest.

I think with striking arts, it is much much easier to replicate the workout you do in class even if you can't make it to class. Be it kata/forms or working a punchbag etc... you can do a lot when you are away from class.

9. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

If your looking to keep it simple and inexpensive you can always train at a mma gym. If money, travel time and all the head space some martial arts take up isn't an issue then you can tackle a couple different styles. Most guys these days who like training multiple systems usually opt for a grappling system and a striking system and usually its some kind of kick boxing and jujitsu or judo, that's just what you tend to see a lot of there days. There are a lot of interesting and effective mixes out there with all the PMA and hybrid systems out there, its not hard to find something you like or something that will work best for you, it is hard sometimes to find something near you sometimes, if all your options are striking arts then I'd just enroll in the one you like best for what ever reason you like it, get good at that and when a weapons or grappling class or school makes itself available then sign up for it. Hope that helps.

10. CauliflowerEar

Getting to training when I'm home isn't a problem cause I'm not working the days I'm home and money isn't really an issue if I'm spending it on training. How is the striking in hrjj? I will return to boxing a in a few months time for my striking if I need to. Also will the hand to hand in kali enough to be used to train striking and get and stay sharp with striking

11. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

If your FMA instructor is worth his weight in reputation, there should be a tie in to where the weapons work will apply to empty hand as for the most part. the use of the empty hand comes from the training with the blade with the slight difference is that you aren't holding a cutting edge.. You will learn the limb destructions, locks and disarms from both the weapons aspects and they equally apply to the empty hand, if your instructor has legitimately trained in the fma..

If you are looking for any quality FMA training, get a hold of Pat Omalley from rapid arnis as he has a wide group of classes and instructors all through the UK and region.. If you are interested in silat, recommend you get a hold of Glenn Lobo which you can find both of these individuals on Facebook and on the web

12. CauliflowerEar

I'm gonna check out moi fa in Newcastle for Kali since I have been impressed with everything I have heard and read about them. Silat would be good but I am unaware of any in the Newcastle area, does anyone know if there is any Silat in North East closest possible to Newcastle? Google hasn't helped me or there isn't any lol

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Moi Fa is I believe run by Paul Tennet, who is under Danny Guba (Doce Pares).

I'd definitely be giving his classes a look if I was in the area.

14. CauliflowerEar

Yeah I am going on Sunday if I don't get sent away for work. Is Silat in the Newcastle area and would Silat/kali be a good mix or are they too similar?

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You have no excuses now. I've just sent Paul a message via Twitter. :D

16. CauliflowerEar

I've already been in email contact with a Paul from moi fa :) was gonna be going this week but had some painting and plastering needing doing.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Why do you want to train? What are your goals?

Mitch

18. CauliflowerEar

The only time I stick with training Is when I'm doing a martial art because I enjoy it and I hate the gym. And I have always wanted to be proficient in a couple of arts and lead my life that way but with injury and money problems in the past this hasn't been the case and I need the discipline in my life and maintain a healthy lifestyle that's the best I can explain it struggling to put it into words. I am also intrigued by too many arts I'm struggling what to pick lol

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If weapon training is not included, you will need

- 1 striking art,
    - 1 standing up wrestling art,
    - 1 ground game grappling art.

You then need to do the "integration".

20. CauliflowerEar

The integration?