how many of you actually practicing sport pencak silat (olah raga)?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by kilat02, Feb 26, 2011.

1. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

Pencak Silat is a very comprehensive martial arts with practical self defense peformances jurus, dance, and sports. Our school practice only self-defense and sport form (olah raga) and sometimes another jurus (currently the 12 steps). I wondered how many of you (pesilat's) practice the sports form.
    I'am curious because i do not read much about it on this forum.
    and I actually do mean competing, not just sparring.

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I think you're not going to find too many takers on your question, at least outside of Holland.

Pencak Silat is one of the least known martial arts here in the states. There are a few systems that dominate as far as attracting students. The students are spread out across the country and most of the teachers loath each other. I can't speak for the UK or other places.

Holland has the good fortune of having several schools in your country and there is geographic proximity. That is one of the many things that contributes to the sheer awesomeness of your country.

Cheers.

3. kilat02

kilat02 Valued Member

thanks!:bow1:

I already thought so. the leading countries in olah raga are mostly Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Holland/Belgium , and of course Indonesia. Holland got lucky because Indonesia used to be a colony of Holland (but that's a rather touchy subject for some indonesians).

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

which would also be why you guys get Indonesian restaurants where as it's impossible to find one here. Another of the many things that contributes to the sheer awesomeness of your country.