How many more threads devolve into BS ?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dave Humm, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I think this needs to be said openly and transparently.

How many more threads are we expected to see locked off due to the nonsense posted by members who consistently demonstrate the traits of trolls ?

I recognise that MAP is a tolerant place but for the love of god this is getting to ridiculous levels where, in the very near future, people are likely to just not bother either creating threads or responding to discussions because, as with the last FOUR threads, each will be locked off after the same old bologny comes in from the same individuals.

It's all well and good "not feeding the trolls" but this never fully happens thus, threads devolve into rubbish and eventually, as with the Ki and Kuzushi discussions become closed and once again nothing appears to be done against the individual(s) concerned.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Problems everywhere.

Trolls are a nuisance.

Posting using an asterix in place of a profanity isa against TOS.

Just don't bother replying to the trolls, what is the problem?
    It is the internet and there is nothing we can do to stop the trolls joining MAP. I for one think the MOD team do a great job for little thanks keeping the place tidy. If for one report the odd post if there is a problem, I'm sure others do to; we are the community police reporting problems to the management.

I have beeen dragged into posting more than I should to the odd thread and you probably have too. In the end I realise and leave it alone.
    I can't see why anything other than that should bother anyone.

I have had people come to my class looking to join and with a pre-conceived idea about what MA is. Sometimes I can't show them how stupid their idea is face to face, so it is certainly won't do it here.

I guess you feel the same way Dave.

Respect.

Simon.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I say bring back hanging, but would probably be called extremist.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Van Zandt annoyed me one day and I said to his wife "he should be bloody well hung".

"He is dear" she said.

:happy::banana::happy:

5. Dave Humm

LOL actually that was the forum censorship working correctly, not me using *** as a substitute.

Never the less your point is well taken mate.

Dave

6. Dave Humm

LMAO

7. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

This is the first generation of aikido where aikido people themselves don't believe in ki, and call those who do, 'trolls'.
    It is my simple mission to bring ki back into aikido.
    All you need to do are the two person aikitaisos, osensei said so.
    Just try please.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You believed me when I said it was my hip getting replaced? Let's just say Ron Jeremy woke up feeling a little... cold.

9. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

'tis the nature of boards such as this to "devolve" as you put it OP. Whenever you gather this many people together from this many walks of life and add the anonymity that the interweb provides you're going to get people that simply like to set themselves apart by being needlessly abrasive, obstinate or just plain stupid.

I actually knew a man who, in real life, was the kindest, most respectful person you could want to know. On line he was the biggest ass I ever met. Why? Simply because he could be and no one could do anything about it. The more people typed hard at him and tried to "put him in his place" the harder he'd laugh at how easily he could manipulate people. It was crappy and cheap but it gave him a thrill. My point being, he only did it BECAUSE of the layer of anonymity the web afforded him. It dehumanized the folks on the other side of the screen and he was able to view it simply as a video game.

Granted that may be extreme but I think the point can be seen. As long as there is no tangible consequence or accountability (other than banning), you'll get people who simply dont care enough to police themselves.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Well the Ki thread was closed before I could post more questions about Ki. I respect the decision to close the thread and agree that it would have happened eventually.

Anyway, in one of my next three or four questions would have included the section on "Developing Ki Power" from the book Budo, starting on page 66. In this section of the book, several exercises with a partner are done to develop ki power. These exercises from O-Sensei. Very explicitly spelled out.

I would have asked about in the exercise the "put your strength into your finger tips" and how and to what extent people believe that is a perception of ki.

I no longer have the desire to post any of the questions I had planned to ask in that thread. Moving on.

11. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

Yes, I worked out with osensei, so I got those exercises straight from the horse's mouth.
    I don't have that book, so you can quote from it if you like,
    Basically, the two person aikitaisos should do it for you. You should feel ki in your pardner's wrist, sort of a 'river' like persistence on a t.v. set.

Give it a go, you'll get it.

12. Dave Humm

Respectfully, either you're cherry-picking at a reason or you're not taking the time to read what's being written, either way your perspective is entirely wrong.

The thread wasn't close because people who believe in ki were being called trolls.

13. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

I should have mentioned, that osensei, in that quote you have, is already speaking to people that have a little ki. Well, that was then, this is now.
    Osensei is beginning to discribe his method of 'feeding' a little of his ki into uke, then he takes it back out (multiplies it,) and uses it against you.
    This is too much too talk about now.
    Everyone now, as I see it, are 'supernoobies' about ki.
    Osensei expected his blackbelts to show the noobies that much, in the old days,
    But, I can see now, that we're going to have to start at square one.
    This will probably make some of osensei's quotes a little useless.
    Let two persons do 'double shomenuchi blocks' with each other, open your fingers way up, on the hand, between the 4th and 5th finger, is a little gland, the 'ki' gland.
    Send your ki over the friend's shoulder. As you approach him each time, thrust your groin up, as you push your ki out from the one point.
    groin up, like Bruce Lee, or, 'like humping', if you like.
    When you do kokyo dosa, etc. you should thrust your groing up as well.
    Try to shoot your ki out. Give me feedback.

14. Dave Humm

IRONY.

See the thread title for context.

15. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

One thing I should say about 'believe in ki'. There is believe, and then there is Believe,
    Its sort of like believing in jesus.
    To me, if you don't feel ki, you don't believe in it. That's what I mean.
    If you only believe philisophically, that it exists, that doesn't mean anything to me.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Like when George Dillman said chi manipulation and no touch KOs only work on those who believe? And all you have to do to be immune is lift your big toe?

17. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

So then the threads are closed because folks can't have an open and ongoing discussion, present their points of views and observations, share thoughts and ideas, ask questions, contemplate issues presented?

Also due to the above, many get emotionally fired up, bemused, bewildered, and bent out of shape, such to the point that the mods lock the thread.

Is that right so far?

And then, all these woes that many of you are experiencing are the result of a few of these ideas put forth by mostly myself, and to a lesser degree seongin, and to a slightly increasing degree by one of maps newer members roadtoad?

Is that right so far?

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Dillman is a great example of someone very knowledgable about pressure point striking getting caught up in what would be considered the fringe areas of the subject matter rather than focusing on fundamentals.

Much of this, I believe, comes from having too many "willing subjects".

19. Dave Humm

Ask the moderator who closed all four of the threads in question.

Ask the moderator who advised you he would ask you to stop posting in the aikido forum

Ask the moderator who temp banned you

Ask the moderator who openly told you, you wreck threads.

Need I go on?

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

No, I would not say that is right.

Threads are probably closed because people go off topic and the mods have a life and don't have all day to clean up all the off topic poop in some threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.