How many kicks does your RYU have?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by hardball, Feb 23, 2014.

1. hardball

hardball Valued Member

How does your jujitsu system view kicking? How many kicks do you have?

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Four: front, back, side and roundhouse. This doesn't include variations on the main four or things like stamps to the shins.

We're really not that focused on kicks!

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

NOOOOOO!!!!!

4. StooXex

StooXex Valued Member

Err, some.

My interpretation of the kicks tends to be wave leg in direction of other bloke, try not to fall over. Fall over. Laugh. Repeat.

5. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Even Royce Gracie had one kick that he used. Front thrust kick which Royce used very successfully.

6. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Just a few, none higher than the knee. Let's see...front/back thrusting, side thrusting to knee, front snapping, stomp, roundhouse... I think that's it, actually.

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Infinity. It all depends on how you define each individual technique and how particular you are.

e.g. "we do the roundhouse" compared to "Oh, we have low, middle and high roundhouse kicks, plus the chopping roundhouse, the driving roundhouse, the flicking roundhouse, the double-dip roundhouse, the upper roundhouse and ... "

8. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I don't know if I could count myself at least as an 'official' member anymore of the dojo, but we/they have:

-Snap Kick
    -Thrust Kick
    -Crescent kick (both ways)
    -Spinning back-straight kick
    -Round-house Kick
    -Mule Kick/Back Kick
    -Side Kick
    -Hook Kick

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

"Kicking leaves you momentarily on one foot, and for that moment you are in a very weak position. If you were to be swept off your feet, you would be finished. This is why lifting your feet off the ground is crazy."

Morihei Ueshiba, Aikido founder and long time student of traditional Japanese martial arts :p

Guessing in Koryu arts kicking might not have been that popular. Although in modern Western Ju Jitsu I've seen it.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Kicks exist in koryu, just don't expect much in the way of jumping back spin kicks. :D

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I did western/bastardized gendai style JJ. We have kicks but none higher than the groin for striking or abdomen for thrusting precisely to mitigate the balance problem mentioned in the quote above. I think it's a safe/sound compromise.

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

A good kicker is ALWAYS on one foot. Even when running, brushing his teeth or sowing his oats. :D

13. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Cannot...resist....temptation

[​IMG]

14. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Mid Range to low range

At age 56, I'm down to 3 kicks. Front kick, side kick and roundhouse. I have front leg and rear leg variations. Also snap and thrust variations. I still do 300 kicks per week for practice.

15. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

4ish

Yoko Geri Keagi
    Yoko Geri Kekomi
    Mawashi Geri
    Mae Geri
    And a sort of hybrid Kin Geri that's mostly only of training value.

G

16. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

In Caninekwondo there is only one kick: the kick of doom.

17. Blanch

Blanch Banned Banned

All the kicks we use are from muay thai,we sometimes use the 'tippy tappy' as training aids and during sparring with people who are new or just not very proficient strikers.