How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ghost Frog, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb

1 to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

53 to flame the spell checkers

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"

.. another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy"

109 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb forum about changing light bulbs be stopped

111 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

6 that flame them for not using the Search feature

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

16 posts of two forum members that are exclusively talking to each other only about lightbulbs and what they did that weekend

24 posts of telling them to take it to PM's

1 moderator that comes in and says something about doing it wrong and that everyone who disagrees gets a warning

1 new forum member to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

13 to argue that unless you do the changing bulb Kata correctly then it doesn't matter about the resulting light.

3. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

OK, here goes. One MAPer has just changed a light bulb and posted about it :D

4. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

One MMAist to say, "that lightbulb would never work in the street".

5. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

15 members of a rival forum to complain that they've been banned from posting because the mods discriminate against people who use a different colour step-ladder.

Later to realise that they've disabled javascript in their browser.

6. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

a thread like this would never take place as everyone knows that philips soft-tone light bulbs are the best, and you should change them using a 7 step blue ladder, using only your left hand and that light bulbs are only to be changed on a tuesday.

and for street lighting, lamps are more effective
    for more info see here: http://www.best-diy.co.uk/light-bulbs.html
    :) :D

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Your step ladder would be ineffective in a street light situation.

I suggest using a crane to change your mercury based lights on da street!

;)

8. judojedi

c'mon now. be serious. who has a crane just handy for an emergency street light change?

a cherry picker is far more conveinient. :D

and unless your experinced in both cherry picker operation and street light changing you should never attempt it.

one time i walking down the street and the street lamp flickered off, i had my cherry picker but i had never performed a change on the street before. disater was avoided though when the sensai of the local lightdo club pulled his car over and leant a hand.

9. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

I read an article that lightbulb-changing has a 2000-year history, but was practiced in secret for many years.

BTW, what do you think of Sport-lightbulb changing? Does Olympic Lightbulb Changing destroy the beauty and purity of the original art?

10. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

BUT wHAT i REElY WANT tO do IS PUt TEH BULB IN WIV MI TEEF.

CAN neONE TELL ME HOW tO DO THIS? i SAW A vIDEO ON A bJJ SITE OF SOMEONE DOIN THIS AND IT LucKED COOOL!!

aLSO WOULD iT dMAMGE YOUr TEEF? i JUST WANT TO hAVE rILLY BIG hrad TEEF.

11. judojedi

i have heard similar stories. the world of light bulb changing is very mysterious. one story i heard was off a monk who changed a lamp on a 30ft lamp-post 300 years before cranes/cherry pickers were invented! :eek:

the sport aspect definatley adds to overall quality of the art.

12. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

This is a long-standing fallacy. Light-bulb changing was invented only eighty years ago by John T. Jones, a plumber from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. He actually took the practise of using step-ladders from the art of japanese window-box watering as a way of improving flexibility in members.

The wrist turn was a later addition, as the original fittings were using a bayonet cap.

13. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Dim tone or death touch of the lightbulb are very dangerous and are only taught to true masters of the bulb

14. WhiteWizard

There is also the Halogen bulb discussion to be considered which is more effective outside of changing

15. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

DEFINITELY LIGHTBULB REPLACEMENT STYLES FROM MY COUNTRY HAS MORE MCDOJOS THAN ALL THE OTHER STYLES COMBINED! BELIEVE ME GUYS. I'm from the lightbulb center of the universe and and I happen to know a lot of Mcdojos here.

:D

16. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I thought you'd know better that Light bulb vs Halogen, or Light bulb vs X arguments are not welcome here!

You looking to get banned? :woo:

17. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Nah mate, just yesterday I passed a hardware store and they had kids as young as 10 and 11 changing light bulbs left, right and centre.....it was crazy man!

How long does it take to change a light bulb? 2-3 Years for my style! Anything less than that is just too early!

BTW, has anybody tried changing the bulb when it's still on? Got any conditioning tips for my charred palms?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Well, I've recently developed the art of distance light-bulb changing. You simply sit down, and when you've trained enough, the light-bulb changes itself.

Even better though, if the light-bulb is broken and you focus your chi on it, you can fix it!

19. WhiteWizard

What about ultimate Light bulb changing or ULB does this have relevance in the light bulb community or is it just for entertainment purposes

20. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

They don't use a real light-bulb. It's a modified one, with the sharp bits taken out.