How long did it take you to get a blackbelt?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by JamesR, Dec 15, 2011.

?

How long did it take you to get a blackbelt?

1. 1 year

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  2. 2 years

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. 3 years

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. 4 years

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. 5 years

22 vote(s)
    26.8%
  6. 6 years

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. 7 years

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  8. 8 years

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  9. 9 years

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  10. 10+ years

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Just wondering, as I know some people are bound to be in a Mcdojo / McDojang, although I know the length of time will be dictated by the style as well, just interested :)

I have been in JJJ a year in March and will still be a Green belt then (White, Yellow, Green) - 1 month white, 2 months yellow, 5 months green (It's 2 belts in one really, should be orange then green)

2. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Took me a little longer than the norm, but I did have 2 maternity leaves lol

3. Nischal

Nischal New Member

I am still a blue belt (been practising for 2 yrs) in my Kung Fu school, but , our school gives black belt only if u been training for atleast ~10 yrs

Also, i know of a Taekwondo school nearby where u can get a blackbelt in 2 years!

4. The Ninja

The Ninja New Member

a little more than 5 years. I take Taekwondo with some muay thai, jujitsu, kung fu, and capoeira mixed in.

5. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

4 years :) it usually takes between 3-4 years where I train but you have to be super super consistant/dedicated all year round to do it in three (almost no one does).

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Meh , it's kind of meaningless without knowing how often someone trains , if you're training 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week you would reach black belt much quicker than someone who trained 1-2 hours once a week.

7. lyotomachida

lyotomachida Banned Banned

here in portugal you need about 11+ to get a black belt in judo and 7+ in karate,there is a aikido school when you can get a black belt in 3 years

8. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Yeah that's what I'm saying. And the difference between how much you train when your a lower belt and when your a higher belt and stuff makes a difference too. But I do like this poll, just as an idea of how long it takes at different dojangs. Lets you know if where you're training is average or not (which for me appears to be true :hat: )

9. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

It's usually the opposite at a lot of places, normally Aikido is the one that needs 10 years and karate and Judo more like 4 ish

10. lyotomachida

lyotomachida Banned Banned

yeah here in europe its like that,since judo its quite big here it takes a lot of time to get a black belt,there is this girl(shes 23) that stayed in the brow belt for like 5 years because she coudnt pass the exam

11. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

For my Provost ranking in longsword, it took about 6 years. However, that includes gradings in dagger and unarmed that are prerequisites, as well as a slew of papers (5 or 6, don't remember).

Best regards,

-Mark

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I took 5 years for first dan, two more years for second. I couldn't do the kicks for third.

13. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

It took me 7 years. In those seven years I have been away for almost half a year. And I had some injuries so no training for 9 to 10 months total.
    I train twice a week for 1.5 hours, sometimes 3 times a week in the dojo. (Little time is spend at training at home, but it does occur.)

14. NightSky

NightSky Valued Member

I needed two years for my BB in ITF Taekwondo. But i trained really much, five times a week per two hours of regular training, infact it was more than just regular training.

I trained with world and euro champions and under supervisor of some of greatest masters today.

Plus Taekwondo isn't my first meeting with martial arts.

Under that conditions if it took longer than two years i would ask myself what the..

But bb is just a beginner who didn't quit, novice..i am preparing for my 2nd dan grade now, two years after bb

Hapkido is a bit different story, i train for four years and i am hoping to get a chance for a bb during 2012..

15. G50

G50 Night Owl

5 years for both TKD and HKD. 3 of them at one school, 2 at another.
    Only took 2 extra years since I practiced 5 days a week, several classes a day.

16. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

That's committed training if you did 5 days a week, several classes a day for most of the 5 years! SOLID!! :cool:

17. sensei_dez

sensei_dez Valued Member

started at age 9, trained for 4 years before I started the "teen and adult" program, and then 3 more years to learn and fix/upgrade my stuff and grade for black, so 7 years, (average is 5-6)

18. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

I like this guy. However lets set the equation at 2x a week 2-4 hours depending on class time availability. I would say the average is 4. In a tkd program it can go as fast as 3 but that is borderline ridiculous.

Yudo - 13 yrs. lots of absence
    Kumdo 2.5 years
    Koryo Gumdo - 5 years
    Tae Kwon Do - 2.5

Kumdo and TKD I learned while in the Marine Corps. Lots of practice time ;)

19. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I've been doing Shorin Ryu closing in on 8 years now and still not there. (I've also had a couple of injury leaves in there too).

20. lawin

lawin Valued Member

started in karate early 1990 recieved my blackbelt in 2005. then quit a little more than a year later and forgot everything. hahaha what a waste. lol other martial arts i joined had no belt system. am a blue belt in aikido although i dont practice it anymore but able to use immobilization techniques.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013