How long before your FIRST submission?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by special43543, Apr 20, 2005.

1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

Some of you will probably have to think back a ways, but I have currently been in BJJ for about a month, but only going 2x a week and was wondering how long did it take you to get that first submission? I would love to say "i just got back from training and got my first submission, so when did you get yours"...however this is not the case. My main rolling partner started a week after I did, but has been going every day. Therefore he has gotten way better than I have, plus he is a little bit bigger than me and is alot more musclular.

He use to be able to submit me about 3-5 times every time we rolled...however tonight he only got one by rear naked choke (which is the first time I have been in that situation). Right now the best thing I have going for me are my sweeps, and thats mainly just because I can feel when they don't have thatg good balance and I just grab and bridge...but I am not too good on my back at the moment, and have gotten 0 submission. So I will end this lengthy post by asking, how long did it take you to get your first submission? Everyone there is just so damn good.

2. Fu Man

Fu Man Valued Member

The first submission for me occured in my third Judo class with a hadaka-jime. :D

Ted

3. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i got my first against another white belt on my first class via armbar immediately following a hip-throw. i tapped a blue belt after about 8 months with a guillotine

4. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

i think it happened fairly early... 2nd or 3rd lesson.... rear naked choke.... but that doesn't mean anything, don't be discouraged... you could be training with better people, or maybe just been a bit unlucky... if you wanna get a sub, don't think about aiming for it too much... it will only telegraph your intentions... keep doing what you are doing... work for a position... get solid control... set up the sub (ie don't go straight for an arm if you wanna do an arm... start trying fakes... my favourite is to fake an armbar from the guard, then switch to omoplata.... or another is to fake a rear naked choke and go to clock choke when they cover - set ups are vital against a more experienced opponent i think.... but remember that position and control are the key, and are the most important thing

5. Sh4d0wS0ul

Sh4d0wS0ul New Member

I learned (introduced, rather...) the plain Ude Garame/Figure Four on the floor from the mount on i think my 1st or 2ns lesson.

6. special43543

special43543 Special Member

I'm not quite sure if you guys are following me or not...at least not shadow. I don't me the first time you learned how to do a submission, I mean the first time you got someone to tap going full resistance. If that's what you meant shadow, my bad.

And I am very happy to say that tonight I got my first submission. After the end of class last thursday I was convincing myself that I HAD to get a submission next week. Nothing tuesday...but today I got my first tap via guillotine. What's funny about that is I have never learned how to do a guillotine in class...I just went soley off of what I have seen on the UFC. He went for the takedown, I got a guillotine on him and he tried to get out, I wrapped my legs around his back and cranked his neck like I have seen so many times on MMA. :D

I feel this needs to go in the "celebrations" forum but what the hell.

7. Fu Man

Fu Man Valued Member

I reiterate the first submission for me occured in my third Judo class with a hadaka-jime. LOL. :D

Ted

8. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I know how you feel to be honest. I have been training at a submission grappling/ bjj club for the last few months and I only got my first sub the other week. Basically, most of the people there have been training for a couple of years and are a really high standard plus most of the other beginners are a lot bigger than me so I haven't been able to sub them either. Finally, the other week I managed to sub one beginner with an RNC and another with an armbar from guard.

I've taken the same approach as you, counting how long I can defend against subs and how many bad positions I get out of as a measure of progress. The way I see it at the moment is that being able to get a good position is the most important thing. I'm sort of counting on more subs following as I get better at positioning. :D

9. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

1st sparring session in ninjutsu, I pulled off a dramatic submission, like I've seen pros use. That was in the 2nd lesson and it was something I hadn't been taught.

Rgds,
    David

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

My very first submission was a very sloppy RNC. but the first one i am proud of was my first armbar. i cranked it so hard i thought his arm was gonna tear in half :Angel: oh man i was so proud of myself :D

11. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Dont worry dude in loosing is learning i dont waste my time fighting people who i know i can beat the only way to get better is to fight people who are better than you. Keep at it.

12. Kimura

Kimura New Member

my first sub i think was the first lesson the guy i was up against was a wrestler and had been doing it for about a month or two and anyways he tried to knee bar me and he pretty much gave me his back on a silver platter so i choked him out with a RNC sloppy i didnt sink underhoooks or anything but it still got the the job done... heh but little did he know i was in karate/judo for 4 years prior to that and we did some sub fighting. but i always try to land different subs and positions everytime i roll just to broaden my horizons and improve my technique.

13. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Well, my first one was probably a hammerlock... can't remember for sure...