How important is QiGong to Tai Chi

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by imawimp, Aug 2, 2003.

1. imawimp

imawimp New Member

Ive only been learning tai Chi for a few months but I have noticed alot of discussion about Qi Gong. Im curious how important QiGong is to tai chi?

2. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Don't know but he was pretty important to Obi Wan

3. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

it is pretty important i think allows you to gain the focus that you need in the movements so you can benefit from them please bear in mind that i have only been doing tai chi for a few weeks but thats my opinion

4. wutan

wutan Valued Member

Tai Chi Chuan is classed as Nei Kung/Gong or internal organ strength.Chi Kung usually denotes that some sort of breathing along with movement where breathing is said to be focused on a certain point of the body-This is a very general description.
    Also there are 1000's of different types of Chi Kung whereas nothing like as many styles of Tai Chi.
    Some would argue that you only need practise Tai Chi,where others would say that you need both.
    Certainly if you wish to use Tai Chi as a fighting art then there must be some sort of Nei Kung practise in the style in order to be able to take a blow and also use the application to its maximum effect.

5. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Tai chi is qigong - that is, when you do the form correctly you are using qigong breathing methods, pressing/activating energy points in your body and taking qigong poses throughout the system. Read the classics and be strict on yourself about your posture and breathing - you'll feel it when the energy starts to circulate right.

I'd recommend you start with the basic standing (3 circle) qigong before any session, to centre yourself to your dantien (roughly 'centre of gravity'), and also try small moving qigong exercises, especially if you need the health/energy benefits that those exercises give certain organs. Also, hold certain positions a little longer during the form (e.g. duck lands on water, stork spreads wings, apparent closure, step up to seven stars or whatever the variations are in your style) for the qigong benefit.

You can try more intensive qigong after a while to build up your internal power (as the form is excellent but an all-round exercise, not focused), but you have to stick to learning the correct breathing and get your energy flowing right first. You can do serious damage to yourself if you try advanced qigong methods without proper direction.

6. Bodhidharma

Bodhidharma New Member

Yeah, and if you/we/I practice enough and correctly you/we/I might gain the "iron shirt" the chinese martial artists gained by qi gong (and other) excersises

7. romario

romario New Member

Tai chi is the best qi gong method there is. If you are a beginner i recomend three circle qi gong method combined with your tai chi training.

8. Mad-about-Bagua

Mad-about-Bagua Valued Member

IMHO, Tai Chi is the most Internal of the 3 better known Internal Martial Arts. ( TaiChi, Bagua and Hsing I)
    Doing TaiChi without Qigong ( Meditation, cultivating stillness, Emptying one's mind etc ) is to relegate it to an ordinary External Martial Art.

Qigong ( Qi = Chi = Energy , Gong =Work) is the meditative aspect of TaiChi that is designed to cultivate ( develope) Qi
    Often Taichi is described as " Moving Meditation"
    Hope this helps.

9. iamno

iamno New Member

Tai chi cant work (at least for us mere mortals) without chi gong. You should practice CG every morning with trees behind and water in front. that was what I was told and it certainly works better than practicing indoors.
    I recomend Shibashi chigong for the whole body experience!

10. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I would echo many of things already mentioned and seek to add; when performed correctly our Taijiquan *is* the ultimate Qigong. We are often taught when we are first learning our forms certain Qigong methods (such as 3 circle and Triple Warmer).

This is because when we are first learning we're too busy concentrating on where our hands and feet go, movements of the waist, yin and yang of the hands and feet etc. We don't have the freedom at the early stages to focus totally on our correct breathing and Qi circulation.

So Qigong at this early stage is imperative so that you can still be getting the health benefits and begin a relationship of storing Qi in the Dan Tien while you are still working on absorbing your form. The goal is to known your form until you have internalized it and it becomes automatic and subconcious at which point your Qi will circulate more freely and naturally and you will become Taiji and not just be *doing* Taiji.

Having said that, Qigong even at more advanced stages of Taijiquan practise should be performed 3 times a day. This is to ensure a constant balance of health and the supply and regulation of vital energy is constantly replenished.

Overtime you will begin to feel deeper aspects of your Taiji are naturally coming to light. You will feel healthier and stronger and more vibrant generally as in any 24 hr period the meridians are generally bathed in health giving Qi only once. When we practise Qigong or our Taijiquan we are bathing those meridians again and again. So ontop of the bodies natural regulation of once every 24hr period when we perform Qigong 3 times a day we are again bathing the meridians and extra 3 times!

It is suggested that we perform our forms 3 times also. The first time is for the mind, the second time is for the bones, body etc and third time is for the spirit. In short then Qigong and Taijiquan are inseperable and form the foundation of the ultimate internal martial art that is Taijiquan.

Best regards, Syd