How important is diet while training for Judo?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Techy Rishav, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Techy Rishav

Techy Rishav New Member

Let's say I am looking to learn it in a semi-professional way just for self-defense.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Honestly I think you're putting a whole bunch of stuff together that isn't necessarily related.

If you're learning Judo at a "semi professional" level, you're talking about training maybe 15+ hours a week, to pull a figure out of the air. At that point your diet is going to be very important, because if you're going to work for a living and train 2 hours+ a night, every night, you're going to need good nutrition just to keep going.

Semi-professional judo training is likely to be competition focussed. Most Judo clubs major on the sport of Judo, so you'll get good at that. That training will have some benefits for self defence, but it isn't the primary focus of the training, so it won't be the major benefit.

Decide how much training time you can really commit to.

A good diet will help any MA training.

Think about arts that will deal with striking as well as grappling, or multiple arts that will cover those ideas.

I hope that helps :)

3. jmf552

jmf552 Member

Don't eat a McRib sandwich right before a Judo class. Don't ask me why I say that, the memory is still too painful...

That's all I got. I have known great martial artists in multiple styles. Some are vegans, some are meat and potatoes. Some watch what they eat, some don't give it a thought. Whatever works for you, whatever makes you feel better in your workouts. Everyone is different.

axelb likes this.
  4. Jackie6419

Jackie6419 Banned Banned

Hi everyone, we know that diet is very important for our health to stay healthy, active and fit. That's why diet is very important while training for Judo because during the training too many calories and energy are burned while training that's why to maintain our healthy diet is very important.

5. ansatsuman

ansatsuman New Member

To simplify it even further from Jackie's point: a good diet is important. Hard stop.

It doesn't matter what you do, your diet should be a priority. Getting the adequate amount of calories, fats, proteins, fibre, minerals, and vitamins that the body requires is important. It's also a very complex beast that takes time to learn and adapt to, and is incredibly malliable that there's no concrete way to know if you're getting everything correctly. You just have to listen to your body, get bloodwork if you can, and if you personally need to, monitor your intake for calories or macros, depending on your situation.