How Important is Cardiovascular fitness?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Andy Murray, May 9, 2002.

1. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

One hit Mentality!

If you miss, then you didn't hit him properly!

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Or perhaps he blocked, or ducked?

Good point mmafiter, unfortunately I'm too asleep to try and think right now, so my apologies.

3. NielStewart

NielStewart New Member

Surely the point of martial arts is balance? not standing balance (which is also important) but the Yin/yang balance.

My view is that cardio is important, but not at the expense of technique, all these elements need to be combined to be effective and "balanced".

I have seen super fit martial artists whose technique is poor, they rely on strength to "overwhelm". I have seen MA's with muscles on muscles who have made themselves slow, I have also seen people with excellent techniques who get out of breath demonstrating them.

I belive a truly balanced martial artist needs to be able to balance all these areas together (fitness, cardio/strength, flexibility, stamina, speed, technique, calm, thoughtfullness, reactions, morality, responsibility) thats the difference between someone who is good at martial arts, and someone who is a martial artist (in my opinion).

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

My Sensei used to say that if he's still standing after the first shot then you didn't do it right, but saying that, to not expect him to fall down after the fist shot and to just keep on hitting.

People come to an MA class to learn MA, a hard warm up is fine, teaching basic exersices is fine, but the student should take these home and practice these themselves, your time with your instructor is limited and should be treated as precious.

Has anyone else seen a more technically competant fighter beaten just because the other guy had better conditioning, I have and its a damn shame.

When it comes to the crunch I know I'm not the best so I will train to possess the highest level of skill that I can but in a scrap, if I have to, I'll out condition/brute the b*****d if it means surviving.

Thanx