How hot to burn skin?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jang Bong, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

A quick question for any 'human body' experts on the board.

What is the temperature (of water, wax, etc) that will cause damage to human skin?

Background: My wife has problems sensing temperature due to medical problems. :( I plan to get an 'infra-red non-touch thermometer' to give her a TRUE readout of shower temperature / hair-waxing unit. This is only useful if I can find out what temperature is SAFE.

I know that part of the answer is "it depends on the individual's skin and the part of the body", but I'm looking for some working safety limits.

Her constant complaint is that the shower isn't hot enough. I love hot water, but when I get in after her I turn it down. She wants a super-hot / super-powerful shower, and I want to make sure she doesn't do any permenant damage.

Any advice on the thermometers also greatfully received. :)

2. Andy2DWK

Andy2DWK Valued Member

If it were me, i'd speak to a doc on this one.

No offense to anyone on the WWW but i'd prefer to trust a face to face meeting with someone who makes a living, giving health advice for something like that.

Andy.

3. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

I seriously doubt that the average doctor has the slightest clue what temperature ranges will cause damage to skin. Id imagine most dermatologists dont know the answer to that one either...

But lucky for you I found this:
    http://www.iphe.org.uk/databyte/legionella.pdf

Also remember that those numbers will change based on things like specific heat of transfer meduim (in this case, water, which is very high) and the age of the person (as you age will will become more prone).

4. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

The water from hot water taps can cause serious burns. Over 90% of hot tap water burns occur in the bathroom. The problem is the hot water temperature.

At 60° C it takes one second for hot water to cause third degree burns.
    At 50 degrees C it takes five minutes.
    It seems a small difference in temperature, but it can mean the difference between hospitalisation, skin grafts and scarring for life.

Is your water too hot?
    40° C is the recommended maximum bathing temperature for young children.
    50° C is a low risk temperature for a hot water burn.
    55° or 60° C is a high risk temperature for a hot water burn.

http://www.chw.edu.au/parents/factsheets/ho****er.htm

5. Shrukin89

Shrukin89 Valued Member

That sucks big time.

To help you indicate also is to compare is that everyones body temperature is at 37 degrees C so 40-42 degree C water in the bathtub is excellent.

6. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I'd go along with that :D It's the sort of daft fact that an insurance claim investigator or fireman is more likely to know. As for dermatoligists - my wife had one (social) conversation where a well respected one could not get his head around "What does a vegetarian have in their bacon sandwiches" :confused: :D [Honest!!]

Cheers for the factsheet bcullen - printed off for future use. :) Plumdragon - I can't get yours open here in the library - I'll try again at home :)

7. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I have tempeh rashers in my bacon sarnies.