How has COVID-19 affected your training and other parts of your life?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 11, 2020.

1. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

schools are looking to close, and some may close down. Depending what happens I may end up having to change training styles or go a lot further afield to carry on.

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I had a message from my kids club to confirm that gradings would still be on as normal.

3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Oldest just informed me that his university (UVA) is closed for now due to the virus.

4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

We seem to be quite ahead with all these restrictions. I wander how far the other countries will go.
    Our government closed everything - from schools, to shops with the exception of food stored and some other necessities and all restaurants. Taxi doesn't work, either. Whole nation is in quarantine and going out of home can be for only a few specified necessary purposes liko going to work, shop, to visit family or going to some office. That is about all.
    Now between 10 am and 2 pm the shops can only be visited by the older people, 65+
    Also wearing face masks or some cloth when out of home has become mandatory now. We, however, do not have enough face masks, so anyone who can, sews them at home. Since many people don't go to work now, there are whole families working on face masks supplying them to whoever needs them most, like retirement houses, etc. Cloth shops have been given an exception and can remain open so that people can get materials for the masks.

Luckily we can still go outdoors and to the parks.
    Since there really is nothing open anymore and the weather was wonderful today, we went for a bike and my escooter ride and we weren't the only ones. The borders are closed, therefore there are no tourists in the center of Prague. We stopped by the Charles bridge that is usually crowded and where bikes etc. shouldn't be ridden. There was plenty of space today, though! :) I've never seen that bridge so empty and even in the middle of the day!

Mitch and axelb like this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Based on the title of the thread "How has COVID-19 affected your training and other parts of your life?"
    I realized something this morning that came as a big surprise to me, and I doubt anyone is more surprised than I am. I generally do just fine in emergency situations, but with the virus, my mother in her late 80s , my tooth, my impending surgery, Mrs Wu closing her office over virus concerns, the youngest Wu home from school and the older Wu stuck in Virginia, and I have to go to my office to work because I am "necessary for the functioning of the department"....I'm actually feeling a bit of stress. I admit the traffic going to work and going home is great, but it gives me time to think to much while driving and I realized I am stressed. So that is how it is impacting other parts of my life. It does however tell me I need to train more qigong and taiji to see if I can alleviate this stress

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My little group of clubs is closed for the time being but my instructor is trying to keep things ticking over with lots of social media interaction, virtual learning, homework and regular video sessions. Also asking for other club members with expetience to pitch in and share knowledge.
    I'm working from home and both my kids have been sent home from school as my son is leaking snot and coughing/spluttering. Don't think its covid-19 but the school is playing it cautious.
    My daughter is gutted as scouts, a forest school day trip, her birthday plans AND a 3 day outward bound residential trip she's been excited about for months have all been cancelled/postponed.

Went out today for some shopping. No bog-roll, hand gel/soap or turkey fridge raiders. :(

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

The pollen has started which for me and many others has lead to coughing, runny nose.
    It doesn't mean I don't have covid-19, but I think everyone is being extra cautious.

I observed that South Korea has had rigerous testing process (compared to most other countries) and as a result the amount of cases has shown to level out quicker, also people can get back to work and out of isolation if they know it has passed.
    This seems like a very logical process to me, but I guess there are many other factors into play from not following this process.

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

You should put your membership on hold and seriously think about changing schools afterwards IMO.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  9. axelb

it's definitely something I am planning to do! it's a shame that it's come to this, but it has highlighted what is more important to the organisation.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. aaradia

Well, second day at home for me.

I am taking a few days off training completely. I am going to use this opportunity to rest up and heal all those little aches and pains and day to day exhaustion. Then, I will think about home training. It is raining right now and I don't have room for most exercises inside anyways.

A few of my fellow students were online talking about getting together, at safe social distance and within guidelines. I used my reputation as the person at the school who ALWAYS is there, who ALWAYS trains to say "Please don't get together at all. Stay home." My hope being that they think "sheesh, if even aaradia is saying to stay home and not train together, maybe we should listen." It seems to have worked. Many of us are on a FB unofficial group and we are adding others to stay in touch and help each other through this.

I should add that our school's supplemental online training service is free to all students during this time. It usually has a small monthly fee.

Never has the meaning "Kung Fu Family" had more meaning. We will get through this and have a new appreciation for each other and the ability to train together.

Although Xue has a good point and maybe I will start to run through Qigong 8 pieces of brocade daily. I can do that inside.

So far, I have been able to keep my OCD from spinning out of control. That is my biggest challenge psychologically.

My sister is working at home, which is hard with her job. My sister in law already worked at home. My niece is being home schooled during the closure. Oh gods, I need to get in touch with by brother and other sister in law!!!! I love him, but we aren't often in contact. The thought just hit me now.

axelb likes this.
  11. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

The rest of the classes in the aikido organisation are now cancelled. Climbing walls (my other big hobby) are closed but making the most of it to upgrade things, paint walls and everything they can't really do with up to 100 people wanting to climb in the way. All of the walls have said that any memberships will be paused as of Monday gone so that people aren't losing money (a lot of people have said they're willing to keep paying to, showing how daft we are) because they know that, once this is over, people will be back in in their droves.

I'm still coughing but not as much. Mam is fetching me some shopping over (it's lucky I'm in my own place now) and the shelves in our local supermarkets were bare last night because of idiots. I've just read that the company is closing non essential areas to get more staff working the "battleground" parts which is about time. Only a few more days...

axelb likes this.
  12. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Day two of isolation, only a slight cough, but given lots of the people in the gyms I work in are elderly, some of them with health problems, I'm not willing to put them at risk. Judo is cancelled, but I wouldn't have gone anyway. The instructor sent out a message explaining that the club is his main source of income, and included:
    'I will monitor those payments and when the time comes for all of us to return to the Dojo, I will ensure that extra classes are available for you to attend with no additional cost and/or club membership fees/junior club competition fees will be covered by myself.'

I'm lucky enough to be able to pay, it's less than £20 a month, and an excellent club. Hope everyone's doing okay.

13. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Here in Holland the clubs are closed so no group training is done.

We have our group training at home with me and my assistant making 5 video's a week for our members.

I'm not worried about my fees, I have a fulltime job and the space we are borrowing for training is free of charge.

14. Xue Sheng

Seems like virtually everything is closed in NYS, schools, businesses, gyms, libraries, martial arts schools...everything..even grocery stores are cutting back on the hours they are open.

And I still cannot figure out why the heck people are hoarding toilet paper

Grond likes this.
  15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I would assume that because they can't know if a returned book is covered in the virus, a single book could potentially infect an entire library, which is basically a big rental depot available to the public. Even if the library is closed, one book infects the entire return bin, then those returns make their way back to a variety of shelves...and so on until the whole place is booby trapped.

Any sort of rental place (books, movies, tools, cars) is a potential nest of trouble. So locking down return bins makes sense.

16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I think it's to retain illusion of normalcy...1st world countries don't want to admit that in many places around the world people just use their hands because they have no paper products, and all that stands between them and the world's poorest is lack of sanitary products.

Meanwhile, soap and rubber gloves are still cheap and widely available. I'm ready for when my own TP supply is exhausted, so I'll survive by adapting. :)

Xue Sheng likes this.
  17. aaradia

18. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Oh, time to get a face mask! .... if you don't have one. Your government seems to be just a bit behind what happens here and the next step after the stay-at-home order here was wearing a face mask or at least a scarf or bandana when leaving home. And there is, of course, not enough face masks.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yesterday was my last day of relative freedom for a bit. I went to see my GP yesterday for a regular check-up regarding my history of chronic illness (CRPS), and though I haven't been on immunosuppressant drugs for a while, he recommended I self-isolate for a number of weeks.

It's just as well, seeing as I'm now out of work. This morning I received emails from both the University of Manchester (where I tutor postgraduate students) and a sports medicine clinic (where I perform sport and exercise therapy treatments) that I had been let go "for the time being" while we're in the middle of this pandemic. I received assurances that my work will resume once life returns to some semblance of normalcy. Still, it kinda blows.

I also heard that the partner of a colleague at the university passed away after being hospitalised with Covid-19. The seriousness of this virus is really starting to hit home.

Please be safe folks.

Mitch, Grond and axelb like this.
  20. axelb

I went to pick up a food order, on the way I grumbled about the amount of substitutions. The better half rightly pointed out that we should be grateful for anything we can get at the moment, there will be people in a worse position than us.
    I hope all resumes and peoples employment returns once things get back.

School now shut, so we're going to make plans to manage whilst working at home and help from family.

I recieved another text message reminding me that the childrens martial arts grading is still going ahead which did anger me further.