How has COVID-19 affected your training and other parts of your life?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Mar 11, 2020.

1. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Congratulations, it has been very unfortunate for all those who had such plans before the mayhem started.
    Drunk painting sounds like fun, what could happen :Do_O

Mangosteen likes this.
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

BUT I WON'T HAVE TIME TO BUY A HAT?!!1!

Congratulations dude, really happy for you :)

Mangosteen likes this.
  3. Mitch

I hope you and your sensei get through this all OK Nachi, we need you at another MAP Meet. Take care.

4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Covid is affecting other parts of my life today. My uncle died today in Pennsylvania and I don't think Covid restrictions, as the apply to my job, will allow me to go to the funeral

5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I am sorry to hear that. These are terrible times in this regard.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  6. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

Honestly weighing up most of my training being online for the forseeable future. I had a lot of travel plans but with that becoming more difficult I may need to sack that off and do some home study courses to learn some of the things I want, at least for now.

That said, does anyone know much about 'Master Alex' the Escrima Master on Youtube? About Eskrima Master - Eskrima Master He's offering online stuff and I have an old rattan stick set I could dust off.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

In Scotland full contact training will come back by the 26 June but final vaccinations are predicted 31 July.
    I'm not training till I'm vaccinated and I get to hug my family.

Anth, axelb, aaradia and 1 other person like this.
  8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

So, every time I look at this thread I think about the mentality I had when I started it. I never could conceive that it was going to affect life overall so much more than just training. I would have prioritized the "how has it affected YOUR LIFE, rather than mentioning it after training - like an afterthought.

9. hewho

hewho Valued Member

According to facebook memories (the video is me nearly dropping a rock on my head!) It's been a year and 5 days since I last did Judo.

In terms of training it's been a real blow, I was hoping to have my first Judo competitions last year, as well as another Shuai Jiao bout or two. Things are looking positive, when we're back training steadily my Judo instructor wants to put me through some gradings and my first coaching qualification (along with some other club members). I'm looking forward to that.

Lifewise? Lost my main job, and had a few rejections, but I've managed to land on my feet and pick up full time work, and a new skillset, working for an old no-gi training buddy who runs a repointing business and was looking for a labourer. I'm not passionate about it, but being passionate about work is really a luxury, and it's still enjoyable! The way the fitness industry has changed has motivated me to change paths, so I'm studying for a GCSE equivalent in maths, then I'll be at college full time in September doing A levels, and then hopefully doing a law degree in two years time.

It's added some stress into my relationship, but we're working it out. I've really been very lucky with how it's going. Best wishes to you all <3

Mitch, Dead_pool and Nachi like this.
  10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

@IronMaiden1991 Simon (used to post often) says that he's trained with Master Alex, and he knows his stuff. :)

IronMaiden1991 likes this.
  11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Do you have a partner to practise with? To work through a syllabus with?

If not you could probably save yourself some money there is a lot of Kali stuff on youtube from 10min bite size clips teaching basic to advanced combinations to full instructional series from the likes of inosanto that others have put up.

Mangosteen likes this.
  12. IronMaiden1991

Not currently as I live alone and self isolate but it is possible I will have one in the future. I'd rather be looking at an organised curriculum over youtube tidbits if I can as well.

13. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Fightdad (a former MAP member) has a very cheap, solo kali training course with a syllabus that I've been following:
    Fight Dad

He has a free course too

14. Mitch

Here in the UK we're starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Vaccination roll out has been phenomenal thanks to our NHS, and as a result things are opening up slowly, and in limited ways initially.

I've been training on Zoom and at home, plus teaching on Zoom.

From 12th April, I can start to teach under 18s indoors, ie back in our usual venues. Training may still be limited for a while, so we may be stuck with linework and patterns, but it will be something. I don't want to go into specifics but the pre- and early-teen kids I teach are really suffering from lack of normal activities and contact; I see it every night on Zoom, and I've seen it on the occasions we've been able to teach outdoors over the last year. I'm expecting a potentially problematic period of readjustment for some. Honestly, they have been awesome, and the fact that they are still turning up to a Zoom class after a year of turmoil is an enormous testament to them, but we can't ignore the fact that it has been tough on them.

Outdoor lessons, again of limited content, can start for over 18s now too, so I'll be teaching adults in person again sometimes, plus Zoom classes of course. I think they, and I, need that every bit as much as the kids, though we show it in different ways. We have a timetable for adults returning to indoor training, and let's hope that continues.

We're still in for some strange times here, with lots of questions still to be addressed, but it feels like we may be on the way, and I hope it's the same for all our MAPpers ASAP.

Anth and IronMaiden1991 like this.
  15. Nachi

Sounds great! I hope everything will go well and you will all be able to meet in less restrictive ways, soon.

We are still in the harshest lockdown yet, but there are plans of slowly lifting it starting in the middle of April. If things go well, perhaps we'll be able to have some sort of in-person classes in May. I am looking forward to it :)

16. IronMaiden1991

I too am hopeful that the UK public has learned its lesson after we went into a second lockdown. I would like to avoid a third if possible. My local community has scoffed in the face of restrictions continuously to the point we've had elevated police presence for months just to stop people breaking rules.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we here in America seem to be incapable of learning lessons.

aaradia and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

People are terrible with deterministic individual risks, worse for group risks, and especially bad with stochastic risks, add this to a general disbelief in authority, and low levels of confidence in science and medicine, and you've made your already bad pandemic worse.

Unfortunately I don't really trust our government to not abuse any emergency powers it grants itself.

I think this summer will be a really Interesting how we deal with exiting the lockdown, and how the general population engages with the mass Vaccination campaign.

19. Nachi

Today is the day! A day on the way out of the lockdown! Finally, the state of emergency my country has been in for the past half a year has ended and with it also the curfew. Not that I really have a reason to, but we can potentially leave our homes at night. Also, after 6 weeks of a complete lockdown, starting today we are able to leave the city! A few more shops will open and at least some kids will be allowed to go to school. I planned to celebrate it by going for a birding trip to the southern ponds since the migration is going and I took a day off work for that reason, but... it is raining and is supposed to for the whold day :oops: Well, next time!
    Also, theoretically we are allowed to train outside in groups of up to 20 (no inside training yet), but neither of my schools is going to, yet, as this is probably going to be only temporary. Our minister of health has changed (we actally have a 4th one in a span on one year), only due to political decisions which make no sense to me. Since he's been changed only a few days ago, he is going to try to restrict the meeting of people only up to two at a time, meaning no outside training (other than 1 on 1) is going to happen yet, anyway.

Finally this weekend we had a great weather, so we took our bikes for a ride. Due to the lockdown, I knew a lot of people bought bikes for the new season and there are - as they say - nearly none left to buy, but this... this was hideous. Also considering the fact that we couldn't leave the district and people of Prague could only ride in Prague.... I've never met so many cyclists in one day in my life. I mean it. There were just lines of people cycling, in both directions and we even avoided the most popular trail along the river. I think cycling may just become one of the most popular sports soon... Do you guys have a similar experience with some activities that have suddenly become very popular?
    I suspect next weekend will be much better, though, as everyone is going to take the opportunity to finally leaave the city go to their cottages to prepare them for the season and enjoy their stay after the long closure. (Having cottages to spend the weekend and/or holiday is very popular and is becoming all the more now when we couldn't go abroad last year.)

20. IronMaiden1991

I havent returned to training yet, intend to soon as I've got my income sorted