How hard is it to become proficient in weapons based arts compared to physical fighting ones?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Flyingknees, Jun 25, 2021.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

When I was a newbie, my school sponsored (or something similar...hosted?) a Shaolin Monk team here. A few members came and did a preview of the big show at our schools. The big show was in a theater and it was a full performance that we got (I think) discount tickets too. It was awesome! They had the whole leaning the body into a spear tip thing, and other feats as well as some great Wushu performances. It may not be an art for real fighting, but Wushu has some incredible athletics.

Anyways, a few days later at the school, I was all exuberant and talking about some of the more fantastical things, and my Sifu looked at me and said that our GM had told him once how they do all those things and it is tricks. I was a bit crestfallen. But I also appreciated that my Sifu let me know the reality and that he didn't let me go on believing in these things as real. It gave me a good appreciation for what my school teaches. Hey, it was still a good performance. My school did sponsor or host or whatever they did. But they knew the difference between performance entertainment and what we do at the school.

No, it is NOT ok to let foolish dangerous notions of skin toughening stopping sword slices go unchallenged here. Not even considering the "possibility." It simply is NOT possible. Period.

With kids (and some adults) doing stupid things like Tide Pod Challenges, blackout challenges, fire mirror challenges you just can't remotely endorse this. Someone could search through this and then try it out. Sadly, we live in a world where people are doing a lot of dangerous stupid things, spurred by media.

Look at the world right now! We let these ridiculous flat earther, anti-vaxxer types go without challenging strongly enough. We let them think what they want largely unchallenged. What harm could it do to let them go on being stupid, right? It only affects them, right? Wrong! Then a pandemic hit and they wouldn't take the dang vaccine and it is having global repercussions. The whole dang pandemic is being dragged out longer because we didn't speak out loudly enough. Not trying to get political. But I AM stressing that this ignoring basic realities of science and how the world works has real dangerous repercussions. We need to prioritize rational thinking again!

So no. I don't want some newbie teen perusing MAP and thinking they can try toughening their skin and letting a friend slash them with a sword or knife.

No, just no. :mad:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Dan Bian, axelb, Botta Dritta and 2 others like this.
  2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A friend of mine used to run a company doing corporate bonding events, back in the day when that stuff was really popular. They got clients doing firewalking and bending iron rods on their throats.

If a business can get members of the public with office jobs to do this stuff, you have to ask yourself how much iron body conditioning is really involved :)

aaradia and Dead_pool like this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Well I suspect someone who says the following with a straight face ". I have seen incredible things that most people would think is impossible" expects people to accept their word for everything and would see anyone questioning them in anything as being disrepected and been given an attitude by someone lol

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

He did tell Aaradia that he's never wrong, so I guess from that starting point any disagreement is disrespectful...

Botta Dritta and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That sounds very Lewis Carroll/white queen'ish.

Perhaps they are just prone to believing impossible things......

Attached Files:

Botta Dritta likes this.
  6. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

An anti anti-vaxxer managed to bring that topic up and hijack my thread even though it has nothing to do with the subject at hand or with martial arts in general [eye roll]. Oh and he/she compared people who have their suspicions about vaccinations and the pharma companies that produce them to people who think the Earth is flat....who's the ridiculous extremist now?

7. Dead_pool

Spotted the anti vaxxer ^

So tell me more about the crazy conspiracy theories your currently into?

Ps I'm pretty sure diagen and myself hijacked your thread first!

8. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

Oh and this anti anti-vaxxer is a smarta** too. Who would have thought... .
    Anyhow, you keep on injecting yourself with as many vaccines as you want. I'm pro that in your case ;).

PS - You wrote 'your' instead of 'you're'....

Botta Dritta likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

(Thanks for the grammar check!)

You are talking to "Deadpool" on the internet... I can't play too far out of character, it's in my Illuminati contract!

Great, I always think it's good to find agreement between people, we both agree me taking vaccines us good, and you not taking vaccines is also good.

I like agreement.

Now what other theories have you got?

Is the queen a 9000 year old lizard?

Is trump still the real president?

Are Birds real?

5g gives people cancer?

Your own chosen God exists?

We could all do with a good distraction!

axelb and Flying Crane like this.
  10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

consider this your one and only mod warning , believe in what you want , but , if you imply that you wish harm on another member as you have in the quoted post there will be a ban.

aaradia likes this.
  11. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

You're welcome (for the grammar check) ;);).

So, let's get back to the topic of the thread...in case anyone actually has anything to say about it........

12. Dead_pool

Remind me again whats you're view on the current topic thread?
    Should one believe impossible things?
    Or should we stick to things that seem more possible?

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

In some ways, weapons are better to start with than unarmed. You get clear feedback on striking angles and power that can be easier to pick up.

The downside is that opportunities for unscripted play/sparring are fewer, and the cost of getting protective equipment for sparring properly with weapons is prohibitive.

As for learning two arts at the same time, that depends on a few factors, such as how similar the base principles of the arts are, and how good the student is at compartmentalizing their training if the styles conflict in certain ways.

14. aaradia

Let me preface this by saying I was not the one who veered this conversation off topic. I responded to a tangent that already had done that. And threads do that sometimes.

I am more than willing to let it go back to the original topic after posting a response. But I do feel a need to respond to what you say here.

Mod note: While threads have a natural ebb and flow that take it of the exact topic as a natural part of forums, if it veers too far and too long, mods will split the thread. And that will happen here too. So don't worry about this.

I am not sure if you are referring to me, since the issue was not an anti-vaxxer bringing it up, but in case you were....

What it has to do with this thread is that I am making the point that it is dangerous to let ideas that can hurt someone go unchallenged. That we have seen before, in the anti-vax movement, that letting anti-science things go unchallenged can actually end up having repercussions that help extend pain and suffering in myriad ways to greater society.

I also brought up the point of the crazy tik tok challenges.

I used to not challenge anti-science frankly IMO dumb ideas because it doesn't affect others. But when dangerous ideas hurt spread and hurt innocent people, I have rethought that. My statement is totally in the context of using it as an example of how important it is to call out dangerous ideas like the one brought up in this thread.

(I could go on and on about the science of why it is not extremist to follow the evidence of 11.6 billion doses of the vaccines administered, with only a handful having dangerous serious side effects, but that isn't the main point, you are right. So, I won't say more on that here. But there IS a correlation.)

You cannot condition skin to resist sword slices. Period. It needs to be challenged. Period. Show me the science or an example of this successfully happening or it will continue to be challenged.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  15. aaradia

It is interesting how different martial arts have opposite philosophies on this. My school teaches that you want to get a foundation in using your own body, particularly having good control of the basics, before adding the additional danger of weapons into the mix. Also, we learn that weapons are an extension of our body, so learn the body first and the extension will be easier to learn.

I would also say that odds are, in a real situation where you need to use your martial arts, I think learning to use your body is more practical in more situations that will come up. Most people in modern society do not carry a weapon. And frankly, many of the weapons taught in martial arts are not practical to carry in modern society. You can make an argument for stick and dagger, but even then most people don't carry them around.

I have heard arguments for both, and frankly, I can see valid points in both views. I think it comes down to there being valid different approaches in this case. And you just have to find the one you resonate with for your training.

16. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

You forgot to add lobsters to your conspiracy list Deadpool. Disappointed.

Anyways....

How hard is it to become proficient in weapons based arts compared to physical fighting ones

Perhaps before we narrow down how hard it is in either case it may be better to clarify what we mean by proficient?

adj: competent or skilled in doing or using something.

I mean the metrics for proficient in a weapon based art as in skilled can mean very different things:

Fluid physical movement?
    Capacity to injure? (Flying crane did a valiant effort on himself recently)
    Dexterous use of the weapon?

If we mean competent within its own art understanding I would think about the same as unarmed arts. It's been suggested in a few places that a 'black belt' in many arts takes an average of 3-4 years and by this time many have developed a competent capacity in their system. This kind of matches with fencers i have known

6 weeks to give them a taster
    6 months before first competition/challenge
    3 years to become fluid/competant
    10 years to find your peak

...of course this varies from art/sport/person

It might seem I'm splitting hairs but competent and skilled for me are differently loaded words.

Ideas? Thoughts? Feel free to disagree. I have no fixed thoughts on this.

Dead_pool and aaradia like this.
  17. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'm sure it was on the Chris Crudelli TV show that went around visiting masters, they came across one of those who had conditioned them selves to resist cutting.

They did a demonstration, and it went exactly as badly as you can imagine. o_O

Mitch likes this.
  18. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

I agree, but will add that weapons, if appropriately weighted and “real”, will keep you honest and will not let you cheat on your technique. This helps you figure out proper full-body connection, which reinforces all of your empty-hand training as well. In my opinion, this is the biggest value in practicing archaic weapons in the modern era.

19. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

I agree with you about the tangents in threads part. What I disapprove of is comparing people who are against vaccination with people who think the world is in fact flat. I would say that is a massive exaggeration even if you firmly believe that there is nothing to be suspicious about the vaccines that are out there.

I do NOT want to start a debate or argument about vaccination and therefore deviate this thread again but I will say this last thing about it just so my views are clear: I don't doubt the science behind vaccines; I just don't trust the pharmaceutical companies with what (else) they put in us. I think everyone should ponder that.

And yes, I've started every sentence in this post with the word 'I' unfortunately:D.

20. Flyingknees

Flyingknees New Member

In British English at least, 'proficiency' means advanced skills.

Anyhow, we are getting lost in semantics waaay waaay too much.