How good is A blue belt?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by roninmaster, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yet I've heard royce is really really tight on any grade purple and above.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I would be if i gave out blue belts to anyone who pays for a seminar.
    needs some standards

3. Dead_pool

cough #gracie university#

4. Mangosteen

i tried to ignore the true mcdojo side there.
    Another reason to avoid "GJJ"

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

There is something about wearing a blue belt.......

[​IMG]

6. Mangosteen

it makes you look Pinoy/mexican?

7. sony

sony Valued Member

I don't know much about BJJ yet, but this sounds a bit counterintuitive. If that were true the level of blue belt would be rising continually because - simply put - every blue belt would have to be better than the blue belt before him. At some point one would have to be purple or brown belt level (by earlier standards) in order to get a blue belt (by later standards).

But I see what you mean when you say holding out isn't enough as stalling is easier than attacking.

8. doctor3165

doctor3165 New Member

there's theory and reality...and reality vs competition

Lots of variables in play here. What school, how young, how athletic, how strong, whats your athletic background, street vs the mat....this goes on for a while. Last week I just watched Lyoto Machida a black belt in bjj and now under the tutalidge of Renner Gracie make a counter intuitive move on the ground and get blasted into unconsciousness by Romero. I was pulling for Machida but figured he would lose but holy crap was that ugly. Long story short, Machida was taken down with a knee tap. Machida laid in half guard on his side facing Romero as he proceeded to get his face smashed in with a myriad of viscous elbows. Almost universally you would want to create immediate distance in that situation...I mean before your ass even hits the ground you want to be positioning yourself to create space. Certainly he knows that but he instinctively did the opposite. I contend that a half way decent street fighter with no bjj would have instinctively created space. So my over and arching point is you cannot really peg guys into a certain level and presume you will know what level they are going to perform at based just on a belt. Generalizing still works but that's all it is...a generalization. You can make very conclusive opinions if you are talking about 2 guys, bjj rules, same size, age...etc.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Take a BJJ black belt and punch him in the face he becomes a purple belt" - Carlson

10. doctor3165

doctor3165 New Member

Plans

"Everyone's got a plan till I punch them in the face". Mike Tyson.

Seriously though the idea is to position yourself to minimize the damage when in comprised positions. Was that Carlson's Gracie's quote? Can't believe I never heard that one. I may modify the purple to white or blue however.

11. doctor3165

doctor3165 New Member

BTW..is your avatar In reference to Hannibal Barca? I like it

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No it is Sandor Clegane - "The Hound"

Carlson full quote was - IIR - "Punch a BJJ black belt in the face he becomes a purple; punch him again he is a blue. After that he is in pure survival mode"

13. doctor3165

doctor3165 New Member

Probably related in some cosmic way to Hannibal Barca. If you don't know the name Google it.

14. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I've seen a very wide range of skills at blue belt promotions, from a guy who as a white belt subbed a purple at NAGA to win his bracket to another who has terrible technique and no cardio but had been training long and consistently enough...and both tested the same day, along with a few other guys from athletic youngsters to a 62 year old gentleman. Needless to say, the skills and athletic abilities were all over the map. As for whether those guys were able to tap other blues consistently, no not even close. As you get better and closer to moving up, you consistently tap newer students your own rank sure, and maybe people the rank above here and there, but consistently subbing people one rank above? If you do you've probably been held back way too long

15. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

A variation of everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

16. doctor3165

doctor3165 New Member

That about covers it.

17. Dead_pool

The full quote is punch him once - brown, twice purple, three times blue, four times white, and its true (warning numbers of punches needed may go up and down) nobodies punch proof, but the difficulty lies in punching them whilst not getting put into an inferior position, which is also why all BJJers should train takedowns, nogi and the occasional at least striking / MMA.

18. Dead_pool

Every belt skill level is spread across a normal distribution curve, they'll be outliers in each direction, but in average there skill is around the same, but its only a relevant athletic comparison against your own catagory, a 62 year old won't be as athletic as a 26 year old, but in terms of skillset, should have roughly the same correct first response, and the same general areas covered. Skill plus athleticism = ability.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

"Nobody has a plan for getting kicked in the face. Kicks are the best."

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

You are really the white Cecil Peoples sometimes.