How does one improve????

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneVKqdV4Ic"]Vilnius Bushinden Kai æ*¦å¿ƒä¼ä¼š 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Finally I fixed my flasher player (I forgot to enable Shokewave Flesh Object in my IE add on) so I can watch this clip.

Do anybody think this kind of slow training speed can truly develop any combat skill? I don't know Ninjutsu but I do train Chinese weapons. I did use my Miao Diao to chop down 1000 tree branches in the woods next to my house. I have always believed that if I can swing my sword so fast that I can't even see my own sword, my opponent may not be able to see my sword either. Fighting should be like "shirt catch on fire". That's how fast we suppose to move.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. mattt

mattt Valued Member

It's harder to move slowly correctly than quickly incorrectly. Though a lot of Bujinkan training is too focused on the theory of movement than the reality of combat.

3. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Kind of a separate topic but okay...

No veiled profanity.;)

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To move slow is a complete different training that to move fast. When you move slow, you will have all the time in the world to shift weight from one leg to another. When you move fast, you have to modify your footwork. Old saying said, "It's easy to chase your opponent. It's much harder to use your own body to chase your own hand". When your hand strike at your opponent, your body and legs have to "chase" your hands and not to "push" your hand.

The

- slow training is a "pushing" model.
    - fast training is a "pulling" model.

There are quite different.

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I think the goal is to make the fast training a pushing model.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You can't. When you see an opening, your punch will go through that opening. Your whole body will "chase" your punch. If you have to think where should you land your foot, borrow the counter force from the ground, let your power to go through your back leg, hip, waist, back, shoulder, ... your opponent's opening will already be closed.

The simplest example is when a fly passes infront of your face and you try to use 2 hands to smash it. You will find that your

- elbow will chase your hand,
    - shoulder will chase your elbow,
    - body will chase your shoulder, and
    - legs will chase your body.

This is why the fast training cannot be replaced by the slow training. If you want to be able to move in "lighting speed", you have to train in lighting speed. This "superman punch" is another good example.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHI4jhoHQh8"]Superman punch knockout Reynaldo Trujillo vs Munil Adriano - YouTube[/ame]

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I guess I will respectfully disagree. When you see a good throw done slowly you realize that many of the elements introduced on the same throw done quickly were unnecessary.

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I forget to mention that the "body chase hand" may only apply in the striking art.

In the

- throwing art, the speed is not that critical. If you get into clinching, your opponent is not going anywhere.
    - striking art, the speed is much more critical. If you move just 1/10 second faster, it will decide whether you can knock your opponent down or not.

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I see where you are coming from, but to me it seems more like the 'possession is 9/10ths of the law' meaning that it might seem to work in many occasions, but ultimately it is theoretically incorrect. Definitely any strike that lands first is better than one that lands in the distant future, but for the best strike it is:

Feet, Body, Hand. Not Hand, first.

Though the hand first without the feet and body can drop you, the best strike comes from proper alignment, which requires angles and timing.

10. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Even in the throwing art, when you get the grips that you need but your feet are not at the proper position. Instead of using right step followed by left step (2 moves), you use a jumping footwork and land both feet (as 1 move) on the right position (similiar to flying side kick). Also in the throwing art, there is a "single leg hopping" step that you can re-position your back standing leg without using your front attacking leg.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I agree with you on this. We all like to find a wife who is pretty, rich, good in bed, and cook well. The reality sometime may not be what we want. Of course the push model will have the best power generation. But the pull model will have the best speed generation. It's a trade off.

12. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

But the person in that clip supposes to be "master" level. He should have passed his slow training stage long time ago.

14. Please reality

Who's on first?
    Actually, the thought or ki is before all of those but it's not that important for the OP. What is is that you move in concert, body and limbs working in harmony and not the disjointed nonsense many practice and demonstrate.

15. Please reality

Says who?

16. Kave

Kave Lunatic

It is implicitly stated by whomever gave him his rank.

17. Please reality

Oh cool, are you the Ninja Whisperer?

Please refresh my memory, exactly what ranks in which of the ryu does he possess?

18. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I am only aware of the ranks he holds in Bujinkan Budo Taijustsu (Hatsumi's art), which is Judan Kugyo Happo Biken. I am not aware of any certification in the nine ryu, only in BBT. I was unaware that Hatsumi was still grading people in the 9 ryu? I thought that had ended long before Duncan Stewart moved to Japan to train with the masters back in 2004.

19. Please reality

So based on your limited understanding, you think he is a highly ranked proponent of the arts that make up the Bujinkan? You also think the Japanese masters of said arts concur with you?

20. Kave

Kave Lunatic

No, I think he is highly ranked in the Bujinkan, which is the only system Hatsumi is currently offering ranks in (to the best of my knowledge). I also think that a students rank reflects the values of the rank issuer. By offering ranks and awards to Duncan Stewart as well as using him as uke Hatsumi is making a statement. When Nagato chooses to use Duncan Stewart as his sole uke for two years (http://taikai.se/2011/05/27/duncan-stewart/) then Nagato is also making a statement, whether intentionally or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.