how does judo groundwork compare to bjj groundwork ?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by DominikDoherty, Mar 25, 2015.

1. DominikDoherty

DominikDoherty Valued Member

I have been thinking about this for a while now and I am curious is there a massive difference in judo groundwork compared to bjj groundwork because one of the closest places to me that does bjj is over an hour away and I'm thinking "is it worth it driving all of that way ?" Compared to my judo club which is about fifteen minutes away from my house which one is more worth going to ?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The one you enjoy most is the one worth going to:

There is a little bit of a difference. The time spent on the ground is a huge factor. Judoka (depending on the club) are more interested in holding someone down than advancing position. A lot more guard work in BJJ and on iiudky guRd passing. Judo favours Kesa Gatame where as BJJ prefers side control.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It depends on the club but usually its quite a big difference in both skill and aim.

judo is almost always focused on its one set of sports rules, bjj has a much broader emphasis due to gi, nogi , mma, sd etc

if your judo club is close train there a lot, but its not a bjj replacement!

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Do ninjutsu, I heard they can tap out bjj blackbelts on the regular.

5. DominikDoherty

I realize it's no bjj replacement but if the groundwork at my judo club was the same or similar as my bjj club would I really be missing anything ?

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If the groundwork at your judo club is the same as the groundwork at your bjj club, I'd be very worried about your bjj club.

Judo groundwork is a subset of BJJ groundwork, but BJJ groundwork contains a much greater range of techniques than Judo.

7. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

This depends on your judo club. My judo club has a lot of experienced judoka and BJJers. There have been nights where I've had three BJJ black belts on the mat at the same time training judo and when we do the newaza randori you'd be hard pressed to see a difference in the skill level, range of techniques and approach. The only thing we don't allow as standard in the judo randori is leg locks, although we teach them. This is not too typical and most judo clubs will have a narrow range of newaza training.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One thing I'm experiencing in Judo groundwork compared to BJJ is that from some people it can be a little bit "all or nothing".
    If they get a good position they really go for the submission but if I get a good position they can tend to grip the lapels and hunker down to prevent me doing much.
    Which is understandable given the ruleset but prevents some of the nice flowing "give and take" you can get in BJJ as counter follows counter.

9. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I've found Judo players (generally) work explosively on the ground due to the rules, whereas BJJ players (in the gi) can get in to the habit of working at a bit of a slower, more methodical pace.

It really comes down to why you are training. If you can figure that out, it will help.

If you are training for fun, I would do what you enjoy most (IMO this is the best reason for anyone to do MA).

If you are training for fighting ability that might help in a self-defense situation, it depends on how the BJJ is taught. If it's more of a "sports" BJJ club, I really think a "sports" Judo club would have the edge. Again, just my opinion. It really depends how your coaches teach you.

If you are training for fitness, I would say Judo. Judo is ALWAYS explosive, BJJ can be explosive.

If you are training for MMA, BJJ, especially no-gi, will be the most useful thing you can do.

Just my opinion(s).

10. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

As a generality this is true of Judo attacking groundwork, quick and aggressive where BJJ can be a bit patient. But defensive groundwork in a sport-focussed Judo club is going to mean being extremely stubborn while stalling on your belly, which in a striking environment is not the greatest of ideas.

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm struggling to imagine a situation where a club level Judoka puts up much of a fight against a BJJ black belt on the ground.

12. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Very true. That said, the chances of going to the ground might be reduced with Judo as you work more on takedowns and not getting takendown too. In an ideal world you'd do a bit of both (for me mostly Judo with a bit of BJJ) but that might not be much of an option for the OP.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Two masters in a friendly exchange

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9xFgfZx98"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e9xFgfZx98[/ame]

14. DominikDoherty

no it isn't much of an option for me my judo club is a fifteen minute drive away as opposed to my bjj club which is and hours drive away i just thought to myself is it really worth driving an hour away for a two hour bjj class where i could get the same thing at my judo club i know its not exactly the same i know as long as i get to do ne waza im happy. besides i was doing judo,bjj and aikido all at the same time and i was doing too much so between judo and bjj i had to choose one or the other.

15. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

The point is some of my "club level" judoka are themselves BJJ black & brown belts. As such when people come and train judo they would find the newaza with the club much harder than they might expect. I wasn't saying that the BJJ black belts themselves get schooled by journeyman judoka, rather the standard of newaza at the club is very strong and a newb wouldn't find much difference between it and a permanent BJJ club.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  16. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

If I was in your shoes, I'd know what I'd do. An hour would be too much to sustain. I'd stick with the Judo. There's nothing to say that once you get a BB in Judo you can't then go and start BJJ again. If you do, you'll be a lot further ahead of people in the class who have no grappling experience.

Stick with Judo.

17. DominikDoherty

thats what i plan to do for the time being until i move closer to a bjj gym or one opens close to me

18. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

It is (slowly) expanding in NI. Over the last 5 years it has spread out of Belfast to Newry, Dungannon, Ballymena, Antrim, Stroke City etc.... so in a few years it's likely you'll find something closer to home.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Id quit aikido, train judo often, and train bjj as much as you can.

But I'm not you. Where do you want to be in five years, whats more important to you

judo dan grade, aikido dan grade, bjj purple belt?

20. DominikDoherty

i wont quit aikido because ive been doing it for too long, i'll train judo but when i get a bjj club near me or i move closer to one thats when i will do bjj again. aikido is effective if used right and i wanted to do bjj but it was simply not worth the drive and the ne waza they teach in my judo club is good and im lucky it isnt one of those judo clubs that doesnt teach ne waza.