How do you win your matches most often?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by BurningIce333, Nov 27, 2004.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

"hardcore" my glutimus maximus we whooped the kiwi's in the cricket and the football so why would you be hardcore at anything else

i use gyaku-zuki with diai. :) :) like tai otoshi effective but deadly

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

err cricket and football? who the hell cares? and as far as i remember, new zealand owned australia this year in the rugby tests. thats right. along with the poms. we probably won the netball as well but who gives a toss about netball.

and NOT TO MENTION how much of an ASSKICKING the aussies took in the latest k-1 max. gg on producing kickboxers who have no idea how to kick, we had to get in some russian guy because john wayne parr is your only good fighter (in either max or heavyweight) and you cant have an oceania champs consisting only of new zealanders.

3. cgm

cgm New Member

I am still inclined to disagree. I am aware of the IJF rules which are the same for our local competitions (Cdn) and the focus on the elbow joint. I base my disagreement on:

- many texts show ude garami applied both ways. The ones I have on hand right now are Kodokan Judo pg 125 figure 42 and 43 show both directions from side control. Best Judo pg 140 again two pictures at the top show both directions from side control. Admittedly these two references contain material that is 20 years old.

- my sensei has taught me both directions. He is a continental ref, Shichidan and a Judoka for almost 60 years. Admittedly he is older than the above references.

- a common attack is when uke enters with low posture into the guard of tori. Tori captures uke and applies ude garami with elbow pointing to head of uke.

- another attack that positions the arm in a simliar position is a variation of hiza gatame = omoplata in BJJ omoplata

- I attend a club where most provincial refs come in on a regular basis. I have applied kimura against them in side control with no complaints even though it is acknowledged that it can affect the shoulder. I have only had a warning for attempting kneeling ude garami like this

-I am fortunate to train with some people that compete internationally. These people are well versed in what they can get away with and I absorb moves from these people including kimura.

- I'd like to point out again that Kimura applied ude garami against Helio and broke his arm at the elbow joint.

In support of your post, when I first started judo I was told ude garami and shoulder pressure is a gray area for refs. Much like squeezing of the body when uke in your closed guard with the legs. It is illegal and it is up to the ref to determine a resilient closed guard or an actual body crush.

That being said, to answer the question I like sumi gaeshi into ude garami. Other techniques like uchi mata and harai goshi are favorites of mine.

4. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

ha i don't watch k1 so it doesn't count and on the new yesterday quote: "the americans saw why the australiansare the rugby world chimpions" so there!!! hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

CHIMPions are you? :D

whereas england are only the CHAMPions

maybe i should stay out of your colonial dispute though :rolleyes: :)

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Let's get back on topic please guys! ;)

7. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

yes, sam. get back on topic. just agree to disagree. It is not New Zealanders who are hardcore, it is Ikken's club who is.

8. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Fight with your heart and not your ego

9. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

sounds fare i will if he will