How do you win your matches most often?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by BurningIce333, Nov 27, 2004.

1. BurningIce333

BurningIce333 New Member

Which tecniques and throws do you usually go for to win with?

I usually go for tai-otoshi to throw and then go for a okuri-eri-jime in any way, shape or form.

2. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

for me, it is either koshi garuma or kubi nage into ju-ji gatame or reverse kesa gatame

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

tai otoshi and various foot sweeps (I have strong legs from muay thai) to get them down, then it depends on my position- back mount i go for a rnc, side mount i go for kimura or armbar, full mount usually lapel choke or kimura or triangle, north-south position... well i try to get a better position :D

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Kimura? Aren't they illegal in Judo as they work the shoulder, not the elbow.

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

no. at least not in this country, and i think you are thinking of an... americana is it? terminology>me

6. Freeform

Attached Files:

7. Freeform

Ooh, I forgot to say.

Kimura, guys elbow points to his head. Americana, guys elbow points to his feet.

8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I'll agree with FF here, Judo rules allow the arm crush, but not the Kimura.

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well, we learn and use it over here. then again, we allow knees to the face and no headgear in amateur kickboxing matches, so maybe we are just "hardkore"

:D

10. Jason Simpson

Jason Simpson New Member

Drop kata guruma into any arm lock/strangle that is handy.

11. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

you cant really have a set plan.
    my sensei always ask's us:

'Who makes the decision, aa to what move you do?'

the answer is always 'your opponent!'

however i find a dis-proportionate(sp?) amount of my fights are won with simple leg sweeps or if it goes to the ground, rear naked choke.

and aboutthe kimura, i always use it if its available, i was unaware that it was illegal. :Angel:

12. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

I must disagree there, my friend. You are completely in control of your techniques and your strategy on the mat. If you are allowing your opponent to guide your strategy, you're not playing the right game.
    Find what you know how to do really well, and make it work! This is what setups and combinations are for. :D

13. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

Yup, if you only use attacks once your opponent is committed you are not really fighting fair, although counters are very important they should not be your only form of attack.
    You must however tailor your attack to the way the fight is moving, analyze your opponents grip, there main throws etc.

Most used tecniques, Maki-Komi and Drop Seoi-Nage

K

14. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

oh, and tai otoshi. so easy, so useful

15. judojedi

right, ok. if you can go into any fight and be completely in control, then i'll take my hat off to you. if your fighting someone equal to yourself then control will pass from you to him frequently. YES you are in control of your strategy, but against someone equal or equal-ish you'll never be in complete control of what techniques you can use.
    when fighting someone, you need to get a 'feel' as to how they are moving and responding to the things you do. how they react, decides which move or technique you do. no-one can go into a fight against some equal to themselves and say 'right!, i'm gona do tai-toshi!' (or whatever technique) for example. this is what i mean by your opponent makes the decision for you.

as i say above, i'm not just talking of counters. and what is fighting 'fair' ?
    if you watch the olympics, you'll see there is no such thing.

16. Captain_Coward

In my experience i have fouhgt a number of people, usually people with a clear weight advantage who will make no attempt to attack, and will purely wait for you to attack and use there weight advantage to counter you. If someone will not attack then i don't really think that they are fighting fair, i mean if you both did it, then the fight would end as a draw and it is unfair for one person to have to attack to avoid a stalemate.

K

17. Captain_Coward

Both people in a fight should attack, I have fought people who have refused to attack merely sitting back pushing your grips off and waiting for you to make a wee attack they can counter. I don't think this is "fair" that one person has to make all the moves to ensure the fight is not a stalemate.

Its true the olympics were bad, there was a bad example i think it was Karina Bryant against a cuban who refused to fight for the last minute and a half, some people call it tactics, but accepting a win from a few Yuko's or Koka's really is not a true win i don't think.

K

18. judojedi

yea i agree with you that some fights may be considered unfair. And just down right crap when you have you have two counter fighters against each other.

yea i remember that fight against the cuban girl, how the hell did she avoid passive penanlties i'll never know.

19. cgm

cgm New Member

In judo americana and kimura are both called ude garmi. They are both legal in randori and competition. The Kimura is named after Masahiko Kimura, the judoka that defeated Helio Gracie.

20. Freeform

Nope, by IJF and BJA rules the kimura version (elbow pointing towards opponets head) is illegal because it is considered a shoulder lock. If it was legal, you'd see people applying it to fighters who go turtle all the time.