How do you teach Practical Tae Kwon Do

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Liam Cullen, Feb 4, 2009.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

LOL... bring it on.. we`ll be waiting! Bugsy have PASmith for my side though! :)

Oh, but don't bring your GF, if she thinks Dev's sexy, I hate to think what would happen if she meets his hunky instructor :eek:

2. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Gaaah, handbags. Split the thread! Into three. One on the book, one on my system, one on Paul's system. Actually make it four for one on what is a system/style :)

3. paulol

paulol Valued Member

your really not letting yourself see beyond your own beliefs on this so this is the last time i will lay this out.
    talking about MMA and TKD is not comparing the situation matt and myself have.

even comparing us to a potential ITF WTF mixed grading is off the mark.

i have already said that i sit at a black belt grading panel as support for matt. matt passes the students based on his syllabus, i only sign off on them as being his examiner.

his students will also be able to present the PTKD syllabus to me as part of my associate blackbelt grading program which does not have to be my syllabus but based on similar ideas. matt has already said that he will be presenting his students with the heian/pyong-ahn forms and i also train and teach Chang Hon forms still!! so no issue!!

4. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

Really? I don't remember Dev moving to my club!:confused::eek:

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Thread split from here at jwt's request.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Thanks Coma. Apologies if the title offends - but it seemed the best generic one to sum up the direction the thread had taken.

Any questions reference Matt's book - please make on the other thread.

7. StuartA

Cool.. thanks.

8. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

No worries, it's what I'm not being paid for. :D

If anyone has any complaints/alterations about the title just mention it and I can alter it.

9. StuartA

Sorry, but I havnt really based my questions/thoughts on any particular beliefs except that to pass a grading one must furfil the grading requirements! If you had said, following the PTKD grading, they cover the differences in my syllabus then thats different, but you didnt!

Seemed a fairly fair comparison to me.. after all theres stuff we do at my class thats doen in a MMA class and again, stuff their isnt as well!

I didnt! But why do you say that?

You sitting on Matts grading isnt an issue, I said that ages back in the thread! Its only the subject off issuing a black belt in your system when they have only graded in Matts system (PTKD)

Key word there being "Part" - that wasnt said, it was simply descried as Ive stated above, hence my questions!!

Stuart

10. paulol

paulol Valued Member

it was honoury and i would not claim to be at the same technical level as someone who has given the time to karate to reach 3rd dan. i also would not open a club claiming to be a 3rd dan in Karate :)
    Prof Clark does not grade people in CDK anymore. i am a 2nd dan in his AoDenkouJitsu style.

my 4th dan was awarded to me after a presentation of my syllabus to a martial arts panel when i was asked to join a group in the UK.

i have been asked to grade with a local TKD group i work with but grades are not important to me at this point. if they come they come :)

11. StuartA

Which group?

And did you join them?

Stuart

12. StuartA

Sorry, didnt mean it to sound like your on trial or anything, Im just curious.

Feel free to post your syllabus on a seperate thread.. it could make an interesting discussion if your up for it!

Stuart

13. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

This is actually a very good title, as it allows people to talk about how they would teach it.

14. paulol

paulol Valued Member

my syllabus could be written on the back of a knapkin :)

but i have written or posted much of it on here before at one point?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  15. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I do my best.:Angel:

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Right guys, I'm here, what do you need?

Oh.....

Sorry.

Mitch

17. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Ah I see, so who did you grade to 3rd Dan with in TKD, and am I right in thinking that it was then that you started JSM?

Was the belt awarded in TKD, and what was the group? Are you still a member, if so do they have any say or cross over with JSM?

Which grade have they asked you to grade for?

18. paulol

paulol Valued Member

i quite feel that askingme these questions is off topic and this about Practical TKD and not JSMDK-TKD or TMNT either :)

my last Chang Hon type gradings were under the UTI and Karl Van Orsouw through the group i was at the time. that was for 2rd dan, not 3rd dan Matt was out on that one :) where he did get confused was by the fact that i left the group i was with just before my 3rd dan grading after doing 3 pre-tests casue they moved the date of the grading out to a date that i could not commit to as my wife was pregnant at the time as our 2nd child was due and i knew that i would have to work my backside off and could not train.

this kept me out for a few years until my wife told me to get up start training again cause i was annoying her with my downer of a face cause i was not training martial arts :)

i was going to back to my old association. but when i did i found the syllabus was not somethign i was interested in. i had already thought it did not suit me before i left, but had stuck with it for the sake of the grading.
    for years my passion was self defence, pressure points and pattern applications.

so after a look through the internet, i came across the old PMA site that Matt had. through that i went over to Matt's house and attended two seminars with Prof Clark and i was sold! :)

Matt and myself joined together under the PTKD banner which was a little diffferent at the time ;) but due to various reasons the physical association stopped for a while and i had to find my place in the melting pot of MA's around me in Ireland.

i fully associated myself with Prof Clarks AoDenkouKai and named my club Jungshin TaeKwonDo as that was the name of the first club i ran many years before. over time i was running into issues with getting adults cause they thought i was doing usual TKD and they had already seen other TKD clubs and were not interested in training in another one.

also just restricting the name to TKD was not being true to what we done in the club. so i adopted the Mu Do ending to give the club a more open image.

i still kept contact with Matt and we have supported each other all along. as we are both (along with JT here) graded members of Prof Clarks ADK.

my 3rd & 4th dan's were awarded by Renshi Dave Baker of the International Martial Arts Association - UK. after presentations i made over time and advice he took from others in TKD and other arts.

my current grades are in JSMDK

if it happens i'll let you know ;)

19. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

Oh, it's always about TMNT. Those heroes in a half shelf are on a mission.

So would you consider JSM a TKD club, or an AoDenkouKai club? Which do you give belts in, as you've said Prof Clark no longer awards TKD belts?

Do you have a link for the UK branch of the IMAA? I could only find the US one, and the only European link on there was for a TangSooDo club. Does Renshi Dave Baker train in TKD himself? I can only find him listed as 6th Dan Founder of Aikoushin, 5th Dan Kobujutsu, 4th Dan Ju Jitsu. I appreciate the use of the word 'only' might not fit, given that list! :)

Keep us posted! :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  20. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member