how do you teach poomsaes to kids

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by tkd ajumma, Nov 5, 2003.

1. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

I've just spent a slightly frustrating hour with a class of 6 to 11 year olds trying to teach them poomsaes. Some get it straight away, others are struggling with every aspect; motivation "oh no not boring poomsaes again...", remembering right from left, remembering the sequence, getting the stances right etc. Also as most of them only do one class per week, they have forgotten it all by the time they come back to class. I've tried giving them printed handouts so they can practice at home , but these only seem to work for the older kids, and adult students. The same applies to the videos available on the web and elsewhere.

Does anyone have some good tips about teaching poomsaes to kids this age, particularly the younger ones?

I thought about making a mat with 3 lines on (for the taegeuk poomsaes), so they get the idea of moving from line to line, but this was viewed as a bit too radical by my kwanjangnim, who prefers the traditional approach (watch, copy, repeat...).

Grateful for any ideas.

2. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

How I teach kids when I do poomse, is to break the form down into say 4 steps at a time. Work them through until they have one section then add another. It is kinda the watch copy and repeat, but watch their progression in each section. With each section you can always add something fun to it once the have it down. Try and see who can hold their breath and do it. Do it with their eyes closed, backwards, etc . . . . Whatever you can think of. I also like to wait until the end of the class and then do a little competition with them. Call them up 2 at a time and ask them to do as much as they know as best they can for the class. Gives them a chance to show off a little to and get some attention . . . which is what all little kids want :D

Anyone have any other ideas?

3. Taeho

Taeho New Member

I am not a TKD instructor. I used to be however, a Cub Scout Den Leader for several years that my son was a cub scout. I feel your pain and am glad to finally be on the receiving end of instruction for a change...heheh

Sorry I can't offer any more insight than to say, keep it fun.

TKDshane Ÿ

4. hwarang

hwarang Guest

i agree with Artikon, but we split the poomsae up in halves, instead of quarters

5. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

youve gotta break the form down, and show them the form piece by piece only. do not allow them to do the next piece of the form until you are confident that they know the form. The most important thing though, is to be patient. Most kids will take a little while to get the forms, so be patient.

6. tkd ajumma

tkd ajumma New Member

Thanks for the ideas - keep'em coming... I like the idea of who can do a section holding their breath etc, sounds like they'd enjoy that.

I try to break down the forms, and that does work pretty well, but then the boredom factor creeps in as they don't want to stick on the same section too long. Even when they don't do it properly, some of them think they know it all and don't need to practice any more, or they just think I'm being 'picky'.

7. Taeho

Taeho New Member

The only problem I can see with the holding the breath exercise is that it's teaching kids the very opposite of the breath control that we learn as being so very important during our training.

I realize that it's only for an inclass "contest", but I wouldn't suggest using it too often. IMHO

TKDshane Ÿ

8. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Your quite right, however there is a benifit of teaching relaxation, and focus. Try doing a full form while holding your breath and you'll find that the body will panic trying to get more oxygen. Good focus and relaxation will get your through the pattern correctly, and with the proper speed.

I do agree though not to often. To often results in kids exploding on the floor, and that just makes a mess :D

9. nunchaku8587

nunchaku8587 Valued Member

lol, i hate teaching my students the forms because it's difficult too, but there are a few tricks. one thing i do is i make them take off their belt and i tie/wrap their belt around one of their arms, then i put a piece of tape on one of there feet, then i teach em movement by movement, and before each movement i always ask them "which arm will be doing the block or strike, belt or no belt? and which foot will be forward/turning, tape or no tape?" also, another good trick on top of that is to break it down into small bits and then have them show you each movement (for example, if they were going to move their left foot forward, you would ask them what foot would be moving, and then they would have to tap that foot before they would move it) that's just a couple of my tricks and tips though, some were passed on to me from my instructers and some i just thought up, either way, my students know the forms they should know so i say give it a shot