How Do You Know If Your Training......

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Grizzlygrime, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Grizzlygrime

Grizzlygrime New Member

How Do You Know If Your Training Will Be Affective, If You Have Never Had To Use It ?

For Me If You Dont Get To Actually Strike Someone With All Your Force, In Training How Will You Know ?

Explain :

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I know what I learn works because I use it against resisting opponents in class. If I can't make it work against someone who's trying to stop me using it on them, chances are it's not a technique which is effective for me. Techniques which have worked in this situation have also proved effective when I've had to use them as well

3. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

its easy for me.

i compete in full boxing, muay tai, bjj and nhb.

if my fist can knock a guy out when its in a glove it sure will bare.

4. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Simple answer: you don't. If you haven't pressure tested your techniques you won't know that you won't freeze up, or whether the techniques are effective at all etc.

5. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Please don't use capital letters at the beginning of every word, or you might be mistaken for a troll.

As for your question, answer this:

If you go out to a shooting range to train firing a gun, do you know for sure that you will hit your target when the time for real action comes ???

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

thats a really poor comparison Jesh ;) general;ly the targets you shoot at arent shooting back. paintball might be a better idea

but like TKD guy says, you dont. if youve never been in a fight how can you possibly say how you would do in a fight? it would just be speculation and assumption and we all know what assumption is the mother of

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I meant that the stress of an actual attack is hard to emulate, and thus your performance is hard to predict. But I agree that your comparison is a bit more on the mark... :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  8. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Here's an easy test to prove the effectiveness of your training.

Walk into a bar and order a pitcher of the cheapest lite beer they have.
    (Bud Lite, Miller Lite, Natty Lite are all equally watery tasteless choices)

Pour said pitcher on to any unsuspecting patron.

If you find yourself in the emergency room chances are your training was ineffective.

Tips:
    If unsure about your abilities start with the cute blonde in the halter top and work your way up to the 'Roid Raging Gorilla.

///
    Paintballing is not Combat Shooting. If you are interested in combat shooting try looking into the IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association)

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

My primary art of "not-getting-into-fights-jutsu" has never let me down yet. And it's good to know my back up art of karate is there should I need it.

Seriously though, most martial arts involve training yourself to ram your fist into someone's face at high speed - it's a fairly tried and tested solution!

10. gcarson

gcarson New Member

As much as is possible, if you are training strictly to be an effective fighter in case you are attacked....you're still gonna be buggered. My MA vs your gun = me dead. But with the obvious aside :

I agree with your statement. If you do not train with full resistance, you will never know. And no matter how much you pressure test in the club, it still isn't the same as the real thing. BUT it does get you few steps closer to the ideal. And its great fun of course.

I would say if your dojo (not any one art specifically) promotes itself as a rock solid self defence class and does not allow full contact before Dan grade level, then they are teaching you unrealistically. <oops, sorry for the thread drift!>

11. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Well I think that's what pads are used for so that you don't have to hurt someone. :p

I think all training has it's benefits in a way wether or not it works in a street application there's only one way to find out and that's to go and get in a street brawl. But things like full contact sparring and other adrenaline activities which could help you. Usually you find out what's going to work or not work in class when you try to apply things but again it depends on how much practice you've had on a technique(s).

Bunty.

12. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

I think that should answer it perfectly...

shut up, and get in the ring :D

but seriously.. what do you mean by "effective"?

The ability to knock a guy out, to perform a technique fluidly, being able to beat people up who spill their beer on your shirt, becoming a ring/octagon-champion??

but.. I think the above quote should answer it perfectly :eek:

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Geoff Thompson has an extreme if interesting take on this.

He points out that you're most liekly to get into a fight when alcohol has been involved. Partly because you're in a bar and your opponent may have been drinking and partly because if you were fully sober you should be able to avoid the confrontation anyway.

He advocates training drunk every now and then to really pressure test.

Have a beer, do your defence drills, see how you feel.

Have another beer, keep going.

Repeat, literally ad nauseam.

He also recommends having buckets strategically placed around the room...

Mitch

14. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Do you fancy teaching this method at a MAP meet Mitch? :D

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You bring the beer, I'll drink it :D

Mitch

16. tiptoe

tiptoe New Member

i think its wierd something just takes over and you go on auto pilot or at least i do. When someone started a fight with me not so long since once i hit him with a few good punches like i would on pads or a bag he didn't want to know.

17. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I dont know if it will or not but I am damn sure the beating I get in trainning is delivered by people far more competent than your average street thug so really I have nothing to fear :D