how do you fight 2-4 ppl at once

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Tankx1st, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tankx1st

Tankx1st New Member

longtime ago, i just did ju-jitsu and judo,
    this "gangster" came up to me with knife and his friend told me "gimme your money nigga! before i cut yo ass" i tossed him and did a armbar, and his friend came in and Stomped me out in the face, i knocked out, next thing you know, i woke up at a gas station, with my money gone, my nose bleeding, my teeth chipped, and footprints on my black jacket. it was sweet~ anywho! i started doing muay thai so i mite be able to fight off 2 or more, anywho

Is there any EFFECTIVE Arts in fighting 2 to 4 to God knows how many
    Not Movie BS, but like First Hand Experience, ya know?

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The great and famous chinese styles of:
    Run Lik Hel
    Don Be Dere
    Haf Mani Frend

3. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

The most effective multi person arts typically involve weapons. The filipino martial arts, Kali and Escrima, are extremely useful for this. But the down side is in order to take care of multiple opponents, they really take care of multiple opponents.

As a general rule, when in these situations, one should be running first and foremost. If the path is blocked, then you need to stun the person blocking your path and run.

Going to the ground or any other move that ties you up while you are in a hostile environment is asking for trouble.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

- Matt

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

sorry to hear about ya bro.
    when you fight with 2-4 people you don't do anything... only they do... Sad thing but it's true...

seems like you took him to the ground(he stomped you in face??)... man SD should never go to ground... Therre are lots of threads and lot experts like Marc MacYoung and Geoff thompson, they all agree on this...
    with my little experience(I don't hav 100+ fights u see) I know it too...
    I used to be in this gang sort of group(good group, we never picked fights tho, ppl were stupid to pick fights with us ;) we hung out together, fought together etc). we used to deal with situations pretty much like this... if the guys get to ground, man he's peppered with stomping n kicks, pretty heavy kicks...
    -TkdWarrior-

5. RobP

RobP Valued Member

You try not to fight a crowd but to get out as quick as you can. If you have to hurt someone on the way then do it, but don't dwell on one person.

Other tactics
    - hit one hard then use him as a shield
    - use tables, chairs, anything else
    - try not to fight them as individuals but as one "unit". Divert punches and kicks into other people,push them iontop each other, etc
    - buy a big dog :)

6. Big Pete Boy

Big Pete Boy New Member

The style of king fu i teach is very SD based (Not very traditional but very street wise.) We do a lot of mass attack and shield control.
    When fighting more than 1 person, a lot of people still stand in front of them. Space allowing, you should always move to line them up in a straight line ( 1 in front of you and the others behind them.) The idea is to strike fast and hard and not dwell on one attacker for to long. A few good blows slows down the first attacker and his mates have to circle him to get to you. This gives you time to move again and either use the stunned guy as a shield, while still hitting him or, come to meet the next guy. You have to really practice this to become effective ( as with anything in the martial arts ) but once you get the basics it is a very good tool. We go up to six attackers at once all going at you full contact, no poncing around, which is done for your 2nd degree black sash.

7. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Try several forms of kung fu. . . . . I personally like the southern techniques, as they typicall use alot of good stance transitions and elbows, locks, breaks and are typically pretty damn fast. lots of fists.

8. James Brunton

James Brunton New Member

as has been said
    -going to ground is looking for a kicking, take the attacker down if need be but dont stay there.
    -use attckers as shields from others or use cars, chairs, police, as barriers
    Also psychologically-look the first one in the eye and tell him no matter what happens ur going to get him, hence creating hesitation, it might spread to the rest of the group for a second-as u leggit.
    -if u can disable one (prehaps though running away, faster attacker is ahead of the rest so turn and take him out) use him as a hostage, shout at the others that if they dont back off their friend is for it, and show u mean business, break some fingers or stamp on something. Ive been involved in exercises like this and its strange how it creates a feeling of uncertainty, even when u know the person is only doing an exercise. j

9. Tankx1st

Tankx1st New Member

Thank you! ppl, well i was cornered

10. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

here is something i posted in another thread that pertains to this topic as well.

----------------

interestingly enough i have a friend who trained at my club for a while who was jumped by 2 guys early in the morning on his way to work. he was able to fight them both off while still keeping his wits about him enough to think about the fact that if he really tore into them he would be charged.

he pretty much stayed with just simple punching and literally just pushing / throwing the other guy away or down on the ground when he would come at him. he also used, *environmental weapons* i.e. his bicycle to fight them off as well, holding it up and keeping it between him and them.

11. Matt_Bernius

I think one thing that needs to be underlined is that if you are confronted by two people, you need to assume that both people will attack.

It's easy for us to play armchair black belts and tell you what you should have done. It wasn't the best idea to go to the ground and tie up with one while his friend was still free. You paid a heavy price, but thankfully you're still here.

What it's caused you to question is what your strategy was. And again that's a good thing. I doubt that you'll ever make that same mistake again. I suggest, if you're serious about learning this, check out Geoff Thompson's books or Tony Blauer's material. They teach strategies that can be layered on top of your existing martial training to make you more effective in dealing with these types of situations.

Still I hope that you never are placed into this situation again.

- Matt

12. AikiBudo

AikiBudo Valued Member

hmmm

i am sorry, i mighta missed something..... 2 attacks, one armed and they wanted your money. you threw one and followed with an arm bar? :bang:

holy cranial bashing batman your lucky to be alive!!!! :eek: did you even consider just giving them your money? anyway, NEVER TO THE GROUND IN MULTIPLES!!! Learn to break arms standing up ;)

good luck to you, you have 8 left

edit: fighting multiple opponents is difficult at best. my theory is to damage the first one in as quickly and as harshly as is reasonable. if you feel that you must "fight" a group, for whatever reason let them make the first move into your space, destroy the offending limb and place the attacker between you and his friends. seeing you bud bleeding/broken/choking/etc and screaming is an increadible deterrent. as was stated above...the best method of fighting 2-4 is to run like a fast thing running quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2004
  13. mididoctors

mididoctors Valued Member

i don't believe your story

boris
    london

14. Chingmann

Chingmann New Member

Like many people have already mentioned, I would also run like hell if I can o.o. But if the only course of action at that point was in self-defense to save my life, and dosh, >.< I suppose the first thing I'd do is quickly kick the knife holder in the balls then run past him sharpish ^ ^ to the nearst police station........god that made me sound like a wuss -.-.......

15. Tankx1st

Tankx1st New Member

To be honest i don't care if you believe me or not, BUT I need to know more stradegies in fighting multiple enemies, before that *incident* happens again

16. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

I'm not picking on you or anything... But would it kill you for once, just once, to elaborate? :rolleyes: If you have an opinion, by all means, state it, but at least base it on some sort of physical evidence.

EDIT:

To fight 2-4 ppl at once, get 2-4 ppl to help you. If anyone tells you they can beat up all at once, they're liars. :p

17. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

2-4,mmm. I can and have handled 2 people without worry,and unless one of them is out cold or immobilised I would never go to the ground. I've never had to handle more.

The Safest Way to go about it is to go for joints,such as the knee caps (it takes 40lbs of pressure to break a knee joint,what cant run cant catch you). Once you have destroyed the knee or arm or any other bone/s, RUN!!! And always have a good cover story :Angel:

An instructor of an instructor of mine,i wont mention names due to privacy etc,walked into a pub with his training gear on,was approached by 19 men who said they wanted a fight,and all of them were left unconcious on the floor of that pub. As i said before i wont mntion names,but i can assure you this guy could have done it!

18. lucas

lucas Valued Member

sorry now i'm not buying this one .19 guys in a bar

19. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

That doesn't even happen in a movie :D ... Even there they fight 4-5 people tops.

Even jackie chan when he fights 10+ people in his movies her runs constantly and escapes somehow in the end.

19 people unconcious??? .................

20. Matt_Bernius

Ok folks... before everyone starts calling liar or BS on everyone else, let's take a deep breath.

Let me remind everyone here that for the most part we have no easy way of verifying any personal accounts. Sooooo what that means is that we need to trust each other to post accurately about our experiences.

And we also can't get into the liar-liar-pants-on-fire game. It's not going to get this thread anywhere but locked.

- Matt

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.