How do you do twirls or any wrist exercises with serrada-type sticks??

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Nicholas Bork, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Nicholas Bork

Nicholas Bork New Member

So I was wondering, how do the serrada practitioners do twirling with the 20" stick? Asking since I need new 30" sticks because my last ones were broken and I had to shorten them down to 20-21" to have any sticks at all. I won't be getting new sticks for a while, so I'm stuck with the short ones, and I do stick twirling for warm up and general wrist flexibility.

Twirling just seems so much easier to do with the longer sticks, especially when you leave a fist length of punyo to give you leverage. I just find it harder to do with shorter ones, and the striking I do with them also seems more rigid since it barely moves my wrist (it fixed some bad habits at least). So I ask, does serrada do any twirling exercises, and if so, any tips?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The less weight there is sticking out of the hand the harder it will be to twirl as the weight helps the wrist go to a fuller range of motion.
    How about getting an old broom stick and cutting that up? Just as a warm up device? A pick axe handle?
    I like to grip the stick in the middle (and one end) and do abaniko's to warm up the wrist.

Nicholas Bork likes this.
  3. Nicholas Bork

Nicholas Bork New Member

Well okay, thanks for the reply, I can get easily get 32" PVC pipes with the same weight as a rattan stick. Full wrist twirls are just impossible with the shorter sticks unless you loosen the grip or do it with just the thumb and index finger, which I don't like to do cause it's just bad weapon habits.

It is a bummer if you can't warm up with just one piece of equipment and need additional stuff. I used my former sticks for basically everything, warm up, stick drills, and even knife/double knife and espada&daga drills, as crazy as that seems.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I'm not sure what the rationale is for the shorter sticks in serrada. Maybe operating at a shorter range than other styles? Simon and Hannibal (both once of this parish) do serrada under Tibon (afaik) and could explain if they pop in.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was summoned...well. someone mentioned that there was a question to me (sort of).

The shorter stick (armpit to wrist rather than just a set 20" btw) was the last evolution of Angels art. The idea is that it is quicker (true) without sacrificing power (also true) and more significantly allows for the full length of the weapon to be used largo, medio and corto.

Go to about 1:20 on this vid - I explain the idea with illustration.

Smitfire and Nicholas Bork like this.
  6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Hey,Han! Nice ta see ya in print!Missed ya.

Hannibal likes this.
  7. Hannibal

I may pop in occasionally!

Busy as a dog with two....errr...tails these days!!

Mitch likes this.
  8. Nicholas Bork

Nicholas Bork New Member

Thanks, I am a fan of serrada and have obviously seen this video already. It is a great demonstration.

However, my original question still remains. Are twirls, and various wrist warm up twirls, possible with the short serrada stick?

Twirls like this ( from 6:20 - 6:50 in the vid)?

Or even just simpler ones? As long as they're full wrist ones, and not just thumb and index finger.

9. Hannibal

Never, EVER just use digits to twirl!!! :)

Yes it is - like GGM Angel does here between angles

10. Nicholas Bork

Nicholas Bork New Member

Don't worry, I've been disciplined well enough, using your digits is just bad weapon manners.

Thanks a bunch for the video. Some of the best twirls I've ever seen.

Hannibal likes this.
  11. Hannibal

GGM was a genius with his art...i keep finding new depths to it

With twirling and the like, I have found its not something that is emphasized as a thing on its own, its just kinda done ad hoc.

GM Darren Tibon does very little flourishing- he is a killjoy artist! His son Chez conversely moves like a lighting bolt and uses the flicks and spins to adjust his position and angles.

If you have the ability I STRONGLY recommend investing in Darren's DVD series. Its beyond good

12. Nicholas Bork

Nicholas Bork New Member

I can give them a shot, because I'm leaning towards the killjoy side myself. But are they partner reliant exercises or can you solo them?

Also, do the DVDs have any specific name or do I just search for "Darren Tibon DVD"?

13. Hannibal