How do you deal with disruptive students

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pasusan02, Jul 1, 2007.

1. pasusan02

pasusan02 Valued Member

or students who don't participate in class. Either they don't do what you ask them to, you have to remind them repeatedly to do XXX, or they are constantly bothering other students and disturbing their work. As an assistant instructor, I only have a certain amount of authority, and on some occasions, I am taking class with my son and then I am just mom. Any suggestions as to how to motivate these students to try harder? I've tried using positive reinforcement (you have a strong side kick, can you demonstrate for the class) ... types of comments and in most cases it doesn't work past that one moment. I have talked with the other instructors and head instructor, just thought I'd throw this out and see what suggestions you all have. Thanks!

2. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Hey there, you have to wonder why people like these come to class. Are they adults or kids, sometimes if they are kids it generally because they don't really wanna be there and are just training because their parents want them to. It sounds like you have done all that you can to try and motivate them, positive feedback and giving them the chance to shine in class. Not really much more that you can do on that score.

Its difficult for you as you say that you aren't the head instructor, it may take their input. Generally I'd say take them aside and explain that they are paying money to train, and that its a waste of both their time and money unless they participate fully in training. Explain that if the behaviour continues, they will be asked to leave the school as they are disrupting the training of the other students.

Kids are a little more difficult to deal with, reasoning with them may not always work, if its kids have a word with the parents and explain the same as for an adult that they may be asked to leave if the behaviour continues.

It may lose some students, but at the end of the day those students that you do have that wanna train may decide to go somewhere else where people don't mess around. Who really wants students that don't appear to wanna train or even be there?

3. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

That's a tricky one. As the instructor I would personally bin them on the spot because that's the kind of guy I am. However you're apparently not in that situation so it's not an option.

You've given the problem your best shot so it's very simple. Send the problem up the food chain. Take it to the head instructor in your school and let him deal with it. He can either give you advice from a more experienced perspective or deal with the issue personally. If he refuses to act, resign as assistant instructor and maybe find a different club. If people start leaving the club because of the behaviour problems of a few students, the head instructor/owner will quickly realise they need to act.

4. LightFury

LightFury creator of my own world

I have similar problems when I'm instructing a a larger group. I have some questions and also some assumptions:
    I'm assuming you are speaking of younger students, mainly children; do these students disrupt the same students all the time? Are they disrupting the whole class?

You could try separating them from their friends or moving them down or up the line with people that they don't know.

Is it certain activities that they play up most to?
    I notice that younger students will be more likely to play up during one of the less exciting activities such as basics. Perhaps you could spice up these activities and make them seem more of a game.

Taking class with your son; does that mean you are both as students or with you as the instructor? Would a quick glare his way work or treating him just like any other student during training? I'm not too sure on this area :p

I'd like to pass out a question as well. How do you generally deal with disruptions in small group activities? This is where i seem to have the most trouble.

5. pasusan02

pasusan02 Valued Member

Thanks!

I am dealing with kids and you are correct...reasoning with them doesn't always work. All I can do is to continue to do my best as an assitant instructor and ask for help from the instructors/head instructor when I am faced with a challenging situation.

6. pasusan02

pasusan02 Valued Member

Good advice!

Very true. Personally, I can see where removing the offender from the class would make it much easier for me and the other students to concentrate, however as you said, I don't have that power. I did discuss this with the head instructor and was given some perspective and additional instruction.

7. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Kids get disruptive when bored.I try to get soem enthusiasm eg..ok lets see your best kick ok now n=best kick favourute hand strike brilliant thats it ley me hear you using your voices. Generaly by getting all hyper and having some FUN with them they react to you on a better level. dont teach kids as small grown ups teach them as children. lower yourself to their mentality they love that

8. pasusan02

pasusan02 Valued Member

Thank you!

Yes, I am speaking of children. In most cases they are disruptive to the same group of students due to the fact that they are lined up near them by belt level. And yes, it can be disruptive to the whole class, especially when I or another instructor has to spend more time dealing with them.

No. Unfortunately, it is all activities. We do a lot to keep the classes varied and fun for all students, children and adults alike. Team challenges, games, races, etc.

Until recently, I would take class with my son as mom, and very rarely would I be his instructor. I have found that I have a difficult time being his instructor and have to work hard at not pushing him too hard in and out of class (and I admit that I hold him to a higher standard because I know what he is capable of and I get frustrated when he isn't performing at his best). I talked with my head instructor and she feels that it would be best if he attends classes by himself at this point and belt level (he is 7 and we will be testing for Black Belt in October if all goes as planned). She knows how I struggle when I am taking class with him...trying not to be a teacher....and thinks that way both of us will have more fun.

Thanks for your advice and thought provoking questions.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Low powered stun gun

10. pasusan02

pasusan02 Valued Member

Fun is key

We do have a lot of fun during classes. Sometimes it is hard to get them back to being serious after we have had a particularly fun session (they love it when we ask them to use a different word than Kihap...something like Pow! Bam! Bop!) I have worked hard at making sure that I am teaching them as children (I am a preschool teacher as well and find that I use many of the same techniques with good success in my TKD classes). Maybe I can try and involve some of the more disruptive students as leaders during the games. Couldn't hurt to try, right?

11. pasusan02

pasusan02 Valued Member

Before or after I duct tape them to the wall? :D

12. Moi

That's another option in itself ;)

13. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Pasusn02 said:-
    Actually that's a great way of doing things at times.

Martial Dad said:-
    That makes no sense at all. Why use it on low power? FFFFRRRRRRRZAPPPP! Take that you little..... :D

This is why I don't teach kids. They don't belong in a dojo. Want them to learn to be good people and have a great time, getting fit and learning useful skills? Get them to join the Scouts/Guides or whatever local equivalent you have. They'll enjoy it far more and the martial artists will be able to get back to studying martial arts instead of running a creche.

14. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Baseball bat?

No. We have a "naughty corner" for the infants, or several if it comes to that. Splitting them up works mostly, but sometimes we just have to change the class activity for them, they are so young.
    Juniors, they get press ups, or other phys, sometimes even for the whole class if it's bad enough; and can be taken out of class if they misbehave. I've not experienced many really disruptive children as an assistant instructor, most really do want to be there, even at a young age.

All I can suggest with younger ones is change lessons round a lot before they get bored, and come back to things. Keep it fun, after all as children there's only a certain amount they can do, and it should mostly be about fun and fitness, at least for the youngest. There's plenty of time for the real arts.

15. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

push ups. lots of push ups.

it tires them out AND it should teach them something after the fourth or fifth time they disrupt the class and have to drop and give you 20(0) :D

16. ember

ember Valued Member

If there are enough helpers, stand next to them and set a good example. Sometimes just the presence of a calm authority will settle down the students around them.

17. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

That’s it! Push ups are great. Also peer pressure and example are great as well. When an instructor has a very large class, (with children) I have found that a very strict disciplined class from the start helps in the long run. When new kids come in they see how the others behave and fall in line.

18. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Push ups for everyone except the kid causing trouble, then call a sparring session?

19. Moi

:D

20. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

We did that too.