How do i lift more?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by funkymonk, Mar 24, 2005.

1. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Can anybody help me?
    I weigh 72 kgs and i am bench pressing 70kgs. Just before christmas i benched 80kgs for the first time and have done it a couple of times since but the last couple of weeks i've struggled to bench 70kg. When i do shoulders , legs , back and arms i seem to be improving but i seem to be going backwards with my chest. :bang:
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

rest your chest for a week, then hit back to it... That don't work, switch your chest workout a bit, try negatives or something... I myself have a hell of a time trying to get my bench press up...

3. Oldie

Oldie New Member

Do not do any other exercises first before doing the bench press. Another way to lift more is to use fewer reps and sets. You may also want to increase your rest intervals and calorie intake. A serious consideration must be taken to insure that you have not hurt yourself already by having the incorrect form, or when lifting heavier weight than usual, you have compromised your body position/mechanic.

-Oldie

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Give it a rest for a bit, then try weighted dips before you go back to bench pressing.

5. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Thanks for your replies. I'll give them a go. :)

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

How's your rest and nutrition?
    What kind of routine are you using?

7. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I try and eat healthily (a lot of pasta,tuna,chicken,salads,porridge,fruit and veg etc). I try and do weight training every other day.

My typical chest routine is
    Flat bench 3 sets of 8 reps 60kg,65kg then 70kg
    Incline with dumbells 3 sets of 8
    20kg each dumbell,then 25kg then 30kg last set
    Pec deck 3 sets of 8 again
    45kg,50kg then 55kg

I also do dips now and again 3 sets of 10 (i can't do weighted ones though- too weak :eek: ) and decline chest press 60kg,70kg then 75 or 80kg (i don't know why but i can lift more on the decline)

I do mix up my routine sometimes because i heard that it helps to change it around.

Oh i forgot to say that i also do press ups every day. Will this affect my weight training?

8. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

You don't do all of this in the same session do you? How many back exercises do you do? Maybe you're overtraining your chest? If you are doing all of these in one session, I'd leave out the pec dec for sure (isolated), do bench presses alternating with the bench about every 4 weeks. Also alternate with the dips. I'd leave the pushups/pressups alone, especially if you can do more than 15. It sounds like you already have enough chest exercises.

9. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I think you could be right when you say i'm overtraining my chest.I have a training partner and he likes to do chest once a week. Think i might have to say we'll do it every other week and see how it goes. As for press ups ,well we do them in our taekwondo warm ups so i can't get away from that but i think i'll cut out the ones at home.

cheers for your help :)

10. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Try dropping off one or two of those excercises for chest and let yourself recover. You don't need to hit the chest with pec deck after all of that. The flat and incline should be plenty. Also instead of every other day maybe you should do it two or three times a week? Even a once a week total body workout could work too.:)

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

That could be the problem. Try eliminating the incline bench and pec deck, and dropping the number of reps and adding weight in the flat bench press.
    You can and should vary your exercises from time to time, but vary them by doing a different movement for a couple of weeks then moving back. I'd avoid the pec deck entirely.
    Look at doing a full-body routine 2 or 3 times a week instead of having days devoted to particular bodyparts.

12. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

If doing pushups in Tae Kwon Do is taxing, which it shouldn't be if it's a warm up, you can just do them on your knees if your instructor doesn't mind. But if the pushups isn't that taxing don't worry about it too much, yeah just drop the ones at home.

13. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I don't find push ups taxing mate. It's my favourite exercise. wide arm, closed arm ,handstand , one arm , clapping , finger push ups i love them all !!! :D