How do I break balance in properly in Randori?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by ronki23, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

By learning not to agonize about how difficult it is. Which, according to everything I've read in this thread so far, is a huge problem for you.

Seriously, stop complaining that you had tough odds, stop making excuses for not beating the black belts and get to work.

Step on the mat knowing you're going to get punched and put your chin down. If you turn away and get knocked out cold, it's your fault for getting so worked up that you throw away the structure that keeps you safe. Plenty of people learn this just fine.

If you lose because you consistently go down out of fear of a throw, it's on you. Plenty of people counterthrow and avoid throws without going down. It's not impossible.

If you go to a tournament ignorant of the etiquette expected, it's not the judge's fault. Plenty of people learn far more complex rituals pre-fight.

Really, you need quit trying to justify the things that don't fit your self-image, accept that you are the part of the equation that is lacking, and work to reach your goal.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

There is definately something to be gained by accepting some throws during randori. Break fall in a variety of positions and variety of speeds reduces the fear when pairing up with a higher grade partner and allows you to learn how to bridge the distance where breaking the balance leads to a throw. Otherwise it's just waiting to be thrown for the groundwork. Anyone who's got to brownbelt is going to have a reasonable ground game. Likely it's going to be you thrown but not always. Just last week one of my teachers said in training to hold onto favourite techniques until the end of randori, to work new combinations

3. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Did a little better today- took the competition at short notice (local,not BJA). Open weight,open grade comp-first guy was 50kg,i'm 85kg. Took it to decision but lost since I got some penalties for: dropping, putting bare knuckle into throat,standing with shimi waza and pushing him off. Otherwise I lost the other 3 fights of people at my size and higher grade: tap out, hold down and hold down.
    ^since the video is my only draw and i've never won, should I count this as an achievement?

In other news-have all 3 girls I met from night out on facebook but a girl I like from judo removed me as did another German girl I know-I thought deactivation means they can't remove you from friends list?

4. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Did a little better today- took the competition at short notice (local,not BJA). Open weight,open grade comp-first guy was 50kg,i'm 85kg. Took it to decision but lost since I got some penalties for: dropping, putting bare knuckle into throat,standing with shimi waza and pushing him off. Otherwise I lost the other 3 fights of people at my size and higher grade: tap out, hold down and hold down.
    ^since the video is my only draw and i've never won, should I count this as an achievement?

In other news-have all 3 girls I met from night out on facebook but a girl I like from judo removed me as did another German girl I know-I thought deactivation means they can't remove you from friends list?

5. Princess Haru

Hmmm, if I can get a technique or hold off someone 1.5x my bodyweight of either gender then I'd consider it a win, not sure that would be the case the other way around. Are you working on balance break and grip break in class, as your personal goals? Just yesterday my teacher was talking about the importance of grip and how easy it was to off balance with the right position and directional movement, they almost throw themselves. I'm gradually noticing that more senior grades have more ability to do this as much or if not more than the usual dozen of so throws and wouldn't wish to advance in grade unless I can prove I have this control.

Since FB has no connection to Judo I'm not even going there, even though I don't understand what you wrote :p

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  6. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

I have some thoughts on breaking balance

The tricky part, IMO, is not so much the breaking of the balance itself, but the instant foot work and throw nessersary to capitalise on ukes' broken balance

Well done ronki for going and fighting. Though you sound a bit like a FB stalker to me

7. Princess Haru

^ I agree with you there, if you get the advantage it's usually only there for a fraction of a second, so bridging the space is so important.

8. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

I grip like a girl-today/normally i'm very slow raising the leg and when it's up the other guy gets me with a sweep. I think one of my losses was when he grabbed by leg when I tried tai-otoshi. He didn't sweep me or throw me-he won by picking my leg up and getting me to the ground from there.

At least I didn't get thrown/tapped out or held down :/ Better than the last comp anyway. Just need to learn how to get thrown in randori and use nerves to advantage (even in kickboxing nerves ruined it for me-and that was semi contact and light continuos).

Apart from practice more (i've done judo/wrestling randori for several months (Oct-May) and jiu jitsu for over a year), what is the best way to 'grow a pair'. The same applied for kickboxing-I started fighting without faceshield 2010 and did it until summer and then restarted September 2010-Apr 2011. Haven't been kickboxing since Apr 2011.

As for the facebook-I deactivated it so I COULDN'T be removed. 3 of the girls I met that wonderful night I have them on facebook still but i'm a bit annoyed 2 girls I already know removed me-still 1 girl ahead but still i'm annoyed with that. Readded her (these new girls are hotter haha).
    I don't go on facebook often.

Basically, i'm annoyed a couple of girls I know for a while and NOT from the night out removed me from friends list (even though I deactivated), and I want to know how to 'grow a pair'

9. finite monkey

I seem to spend a lot of randori time thinking

'I should have tried (insert throw), then whilst they were vulnerable'

10. finite monkey

Get off face book, get on the mats

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

If someone wants to remove then that's down to them, why on earth would them keeping you on their list be important?

Maybe you should stop acting like the male version of Glenn Close, all these girls are probably hiding their kitchen wear and putting alarms on the rabbit hutches.

Stick to Judo and stop acting so bloody desperate and not to mention so creepy.

12. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

LMAO-these girls know me better than the better looking girls I added. I'm annoyed that these 'friends' removed me from their list-ESPECIALLY when it comes to good looking girls.
    Anyway, i'm only in this to be a friend to them-what was their problem that they removed me and (more importantly) HOW when I deactivated?

How do I 'man up' in contact sports like this. Assume the Starting Strength workout will help more with being attractive than manning up but it should kill two birds with one stone no? I was told working out helps you learn to take pain. Hopefully I can get big,look good for the babes of the past,present and future and be stronger from running a good weight training program?????

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It takes a lot more to be a man than being able to "man up."

It takes a lot more than being big and looking good to get the ladies intersted.

In the latter you seem to be lacking somewhat.

Maybe the "unfriending" should tell you something.

14. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

The thing is, i'm still a chubby guy and I don't post rude or ignorant comments on facebook. In fact, I hardly go on there and when I do I ask how they are, if they're having a good summer, make a joke about the weather (since they're from different countries and it's holidays). So idk why (and how) I got unfriended-in fact,I never try it on with ANY girls so i'm confused.

As for manning up idk how people do it-weight training? watching 300 and Rocky? Kumite and Randori?

EDIT: I was told lightly punching each other in the face in kickboxing is stupid yet that's my weakness-getting hit in the face/ribs or thrown hard

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Delete Facebook - do it now. Clearly you are not designed for social media interaction

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

manning up - confidence in yourself and some self esteem.

17. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

easier said than done-especially if you have both types of gyno and fat on the lower abs even at 15% bodyfat and never having lifted bodyweight on upper body exercises or ever winning a first place in local martial arts competitions :(

The thanks you get for being nice to girls when you look good with baggy/long sleeve clothes :(

At least I took my second ever fight to decision-I was told that pushing the guy off the mat (his end) in retaliation to him getting me to my edge cost me the fight.

Still don't know how to throw in randori though-when my leg leaves the ground they sweep me, when I grab a hold they throw me, in wrestling they stuff my takedowns/I have to work REALLY hard to take them down,even if they're standing and letting me do it in practice.

Not going to compete in Judo/Wrestling anymore until I get good, MIGHT restart kickboxing/karate (never done shobu ippon/sport karate but I have done point fighting in freestyle-I know, it's kumite's dumber brother).

But still-i'm quite sore over being unfriended by two girls i've known longer than the nice ones I met at the party-especially since I don't even go on facebook often and I only ask nice things like how they are, if the weather back home's good :(

Lots to do-hopefully the Starting Strength program will help with some of these things

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

im about 80-85kg (depending on how much chicken ive eaten), easily over 20% bodyfat, im pretty athletically fail and not too great at sports i play yet i still try to dress as slick as possible and you'll never see me having problems talking to girls, complaining about how girls arent dating me or facebook stalking them.

confidence in yourself as a person man.

its a great thing.

19. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

yeah but you're good at martial arts-either that or it's only me that moans on forums about it. Plus you're probably strong for your size.

Lots of things to work on and all I can think of as a solution is working out on a strength training program-i'm sure there's more than working out as a solution (only 1 and 2 are directly realted to working out but i'm sure 3 and 4 can be helped to a certain extent):

1,Lose bodyfat-PARTICULARLY moobs and lower ab fat
    2,Get stronger-increase muscle mass and hopefully i'll go up in proportion to fat weight
    3,Talk to the specific girls more-especially when i've done nothing wrong and don't even go on facebook often and when I do, I act friendly-plus i'll probs see them in graduation when i'm hopefully better in shape
    4,Train more-learn how to take knocks in combat sports and do well in sparring/comp

only when I achieve at least 2 of the above will I really be confident

20. finite monkey

This thread has taken a wrong turn into the bizzare