How do any disabilities/learning difficulties effect your training in a MA?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by TheBorderer, Aug 9, 2003.

1. ttamgirl

ttamgirl New Member

there is no way that his would have made me quit. Change Dojo's maybe,
    But I have both artrites and a condtion exactly like carpol tunnel But on the other side of the wirst. in Both hands. :bang: :bang: I did not give it up until for about 2 months, I could not pick up a class of water, and it hurt like hell to pick up a fork. I traned for about 5 years. That is no where near advanced. But I had to go to the singel adult class at the dojo. It was a small school.

2. OneArmedBandit

OneArmedBandit Types with one hand...

I know the feeling, I was born with only one arm, and as a consequence I have a greater natural strength than most, (as I am forced to everything with the one arm), but I am always underestimated, but hey, its their bones i'll be breaking. There is an advantage of being underestimated though, it gives you the element of surprise, you should see the look on peoples face when you just explode on them.

3. vicjudofreak

vicjudofreak Valued Member

I find that the younger people on the mat are ok with me (sometimes to the point of hurting me through lack of care) but I am having trouble at the moment with an overprotective training partner, who is paranoid about hurting me because my arms can get worse. I appreciate the care but don;t like being babied. Grrrrrr! :woo:

But I love judo and despite regularly saying I don't want to do judo anymore, I never want to give in to it and although it does affect my training massively I do the best I can and, like tonight, I get small victories, like adapting another throw to work effectively and that means an awful lot to me :)

Victoria

4. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

How do any disabilities/learning difficulties effect your training in MA?

As a highly motivated disabled martial artist I can say that I have been fortunate to train mostly with motivated & positive people. There have only been a few who were unkind, rude, or out and out cruel to me. It's partially ignorance on thier part. I am currently in a pt/ot program now, which prevents me from training at this time. I have found that the best way to deal with any concerns or problems is to take it to the Shifu and state my concerns. They, being in the higher position of authority, possessing more training than me, need to make the best decision on my behalf. Pretty simple, really.
    Becuz of my high level of motivation,I am understanding of the fact that I may need to do ot/pt strength programs from time to time, which means it will take me longer to achieve what other non-disabled people can achieve.
    The main thing I'd like to point out at this time is that its the instructors job to be sure that any disabled people in thier schools are getting the time and training that they need & also that the disabled students are not ostrichized, ridiculed, or bullied, by the other students. Remember that being in martial arts also includes a thing called humility. One should be learning how to defend themselves against bullies according to thier Shifu's style as well as becoming a better human being, i.e., the path to enlightment!!!
    A student should not be encountering bullies within the school, instead they should be learning to defeat them if & when they are encountered in real life situations.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  5. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

6. Battle Sword

How do any disabilities/learning difficulties affect your training in a MA?

To Faster Than You: what do u mean exactly "they dont"???
    I appreciate your swift reply!!!!!!!
    I was unaware that bold type is unnacceptable on this forum.
    My bad.

7. Battle Sword

How do any disabilities/learning difficulties affect your training in MA?

To One Armed Bandit. What style do u train in? What part of Wales do u hail from? ive realitives there 2!!!
    ive relatives in several countries overseas, 2 many 2 mention, in fact!!!!
    Yes. The element of surprize is Amazing in ma. Yes, never underestimate what can & will be accomplished in ma. The things i've seen in cma & learned R Amazing!!! i c no reason 2 stop now!!! Full Steam Ahead!!! The people ive met R Amazing!!! Seeing the look on thier faces when they think they've underestimated a martial artist is amazing!!! YES!!!

8. Battle Sword

How do any disabilities/learning difficutities affect your training in a ma?

To Andy Murry: Excellent words u chose 4 ur article!!! Different people have different needs!!!
    What style do u teach?
    Thanx!!!

9. Battle Sword

How do any any disabilities/learning difficuties affect your training in a MA?

To:KungFuGrrrl & Kinjro Tsukasa. Thank u both for ur words, great insight!!!
    Thanx

10. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i meant that my genetic mutation never stops me from training at all. i lift weights, spar, grapple, box, kick, etc...i may train in these areas slightly differently than 'normal' people, but i still train.
    i hate the connotation of the word disability because it means, "i can't," at least to me. none of my training partners considers me disabled so why should I?
    i also hate the term physically-challenged. i don't feel challenged at all. though they feel challenged--when they spar me. last night they were all talking about how i had kicked their a$$@s.