How did you start?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dillon, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

How did you get started in lifting? I'm just getting back into weight training seriously, having been doing primarily bodyweight exercise for the last several years. I'm trying to decide how best to get the ball rolling. I've picked up a copy of Starting Strength for technique pointers, and plan to follow the basic program therein. As of yet, I don't have a coach or a regular spotter, and I'm not sure I'll be able to regularly afford the services of a personal trainer. I was considering relearning the lifts from the book, and then having a session or two with the trainer at my gym to check my basic form while I'm getting going. I'm not familiar with typical starting proceedure or gym culture, so any pointers would be appreciated!

2. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

As far as MAP goes, start with this: Noob thread

Check out www.t-nation.com- Christian Thibideau just finished a two part series on lifting for beginners.

Other than that, my $0.02:

-Do big, compound lifts
    -Go moderately heavy (6-8 or 7-10 rep range)
    -Have goals
    -Have good form
    -Paying a trainer will help motivate you

FYI- I think that quote in your signature is misattributed. It didn't sound like Plato to me, so I googled it and could not find it attributed to him.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Hell. Just get in the gym and get somebody to show you some lifts. That's what I've done. It really helps to have someone you like to go to the gym with. It's more fun.

Not like I've been doing it for long, but I enjoy the H E double hockey sticks out of it.

4. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

I hate to correct people (actually, no I don't, it's one of my many annoying features), but I believe the series is actually a 3 parter with the 3rd part covering nutrition, he just hasn't completed it yet :)

Anyway, fantastic series of articles, if you want convincing, just take a look at CT's before and after shots.

5. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

it is the best to have a spotting partner who's a good friend. there's nothing like comradery between 2 guys tryin to beat each other in their respective weights.

sadly, i don't have a consistant partner. luckily the guys at the gym never mind givin me a spot on the last set or 2.

6. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Thanks for the input everyone!

http://www.quotedb.com/quotes/2863

Though to be fair, some people attribute the quote to Philo instead.

Might be about time for a new signature quote anyway. ;)

7. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i started lifting for football, and to look good for the girls :D

8. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

No worries. If you like the quote, then use it. You've got a cite. I just wish I quote websites would cite their quotes, as in "Plato, Dialogue X, line Y".

On a more serious note, if you want inspiration, check out the videos at: www.gymjones.com

9. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

I really wish that as well.

So far, my game plan is to go in with what I remember from what little weight training I've done in the past and what I've learned from Starting Strength, and hope it doesn't kill me. I'm planning to start Friday morning. If I can, I'll grab one of the coaches at the gym before too long and have them look at my form.