How did you start and/or run your school?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Ceicei, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

These are questions aimed at head instructors and/or owners of martial arts schools.

Main Question:
    How did you get started setting up/running your martial arts school?

Possible ways of setting up:
    Did your instructor pass on his school to you? Did you start teaching individually out of your garage/backyard first before expanding into a school? Did you seek for a loan or a grant to rent/buy a place? Did you start teaching at a community place first and then with enough students, move to a bigger place? Did someone decide to subsidize you (venture investment) into starting a school? Did you buy out a competitor's school and set up your own? Were you hired by the school to teach there and climbed the hierarchy to become the head instructor?

Second Main Question:
    When you started up your school, how did you figure out whether you had enough capital to run the school?

Possible funding sources:
    Your instructor already ran an existing school with its established income/expenses before you took it over. You saved up several months worth of money before starting your business. You took out a loan equal to the value of the place plus some extra for operating expenses. You wrote several grants and able to obtain sufficent money to establish a school. You talked to several well-financed friends about your goals and they were willing to invest in you and your prospective school. You started out very small with almost nothing, and along the way with students and saving up each time, earned enough money and a stronger student base to begin. You took out a business loan that would have been enough to run a school for three years on a shoe-string budget. You inherited a large sum from a relative. You won the lottery/sweepstakes. Insurance settlement gave you enough to begin a school.

Basically, I would like to know HOW did you start your school? What worked for you and what didn't?

The purpose of this thread is for those who may consider establishing a martial arts school and to be aware of the diversity of how schools start by sharing your real life experiences and advice.

Thank you,

- Ceicei

2. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

Flyers, lead boxes...after about 40 students, you are making overhead depending on what you charge....will say more later.

3. gornex

gornex Valued Member

lol there is another thread just like this that started, maybe the 2 threads could combine to make a super run your own dojo thread. Maybe not though who knows.

4. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

Ok. I'd like to hear more about how you started the school. What procedure did you do to get your school up and running? What financial plans did you have in the beginning? What challenges did you face before you finally had your first student join?

Thanks for your feedback and will wait for more from you! :)

- Ceicei

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  5. Ceicei

Ceicei Knowledge Seeker

I suppose that will be up to the mods to decide whether to do that...

- Ceicei

6. Masterwingchun

Masterwingchun New Member

I've been teaching martial arts for years under my grandmaster, I recently decided to run my own martial art business. I have the information and I would love to pass on this knowledge but, I am having diffuculty pulling students in as well.

I had a site created which is now on the first page of Yahoo and other search engines in my area, I have a PPC (pay per click) campaign on Google, and I even had signs put on cars.

I would also like to know what other martial arts studio's are doing and what successful avenues they have found.

I did look through threads and other sites and honestly I didn't see many people claiming they were running successful campaigns/schools and providing solid info.

Again any information is appreciated, Thanks again. --JO

7. DanceMagic

DanceMagic New Member

I also had been teaching for years under my Sensei. When he retired I was concemtrating on my education so did not have the time to continue his dojo unfortunately it then closed. I began teaching rape protection classes to local schools, alot of the students wanted to learn further than a basic 8 week course so I hired a local hall 3 nights a week having sought my Senseis permission. My club grew over the years to enable us to move to better premises and we now have a 7 days a week accesable dojo. Where I not only run a traditional martial arts school but also hold fitness classes basic self defence classes rape protection etc etc. I donot run my martial arts school as a money making business it is non profit making and all monies obtained are put back into the school one way or another.

DanceMagic

8. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I would check out www.score.org. They are volunteer counselors for small businesses that have lots of experience and can help you prepare a business plan.