how did you get started doing martial arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nimrook, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Nimrook

Nimrook New Member

I got started when I met my neighbor who competed in the toughman competitions a few times, and a few rage in the cage fights in MMA. Surprisingly I study the two exact same martial arts as he does. And since of course, the guy is my boxing teacher, why not?

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I was asked to take some kids to class by their parents who had to miss a couple of nights. It was cool for me. The kids have dropped out and I'm 3 years into it now....

3. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

I think my case my be typical of many others, a friend of mine wanted to start doing some form of Martial Arts and didn't want to go along to classes on his own, so he asked if I would come with him. Needless to say after a few weeks he dropped out and I carried on. That was 19 years ago (wow only just added that up!)

4. Kanja

Kanja New Member

I Was Bored...Then I Started 2 Train I Was 5..Sinse Then I'm Still Trainin .

5. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i wanted to train martial arts since i can remember. the movies influenced me. my neighbour was an instructor. after my first contact with martial arts, i knew that they would be a part of my life. and they have been ever sicne.

6. VTX

VTX New Member

I started my trainig young, there was this guy who lived on my block who was into MA, I was about 5th grade and I guess he got tired of seeing me get my butt whipped by the other kids. So he talked to my parents about Judo lessons at the YMCA. They enrolled me and I started getting whipped only half as much as before. But by then we moved so I was in and out of schools until I joined the military then I stuck with it. There you have it "The karate kid from the Chi-town ghetto. Many, many black eyes back in the day.

7. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

i was 11? got into a fight with some kid at school, then i got jumped by a huge 13 yr old who tried to help his friend out. surprisingly i didn't get hurt...but did get quite shaken up! soon after i started MA.

8. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

i started TSD when i was about 7-8. i saw those 3 Ninjas movies w/ the three kids who did MA, and the Power Rangers (the original ones). both of those made me beg my mom to get me enrolled in "Karate". the only one around us was Tang Soo Do, so she got me into that for a Christmas present. i have been doing it ever since.

9. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

well here's a story:

i started when i was nine. I was interested in the movies, i just liked kicking and punching, it doesn't take much to interest a 9 year old. I thought it was the greatest thing in the world and stuck with that intsructor until black belt.

Continuing to train at the age of 18 i found out he raped one of my fellow black belt students... a girl i had dated....

unfortunately i had left the school by then because i had alredy discovered my 'teacher' was a liar and a theif.... and his art was useless... so he got away with it because some other students covered his ass in court....

i bounced around from school to school and knew i had to find the real thing...

after a few YEARS of searching i finally found what i think i was looking for...

www.nwfighting.com

now what KEEPS me interested is the honor, the usefulness, the way....

each day builds on something i've learned before, there's new challenges every moment and i'm on my way to something real. you can just feel it. there might be doubt in my own conscious but it always dissipates whenever i have to test my skill...

i'm just in it for the perfection i guess... the pursuit of truth... what can make me better. not in terms of punching or kicking anymore, but better as an individual, how can i be helpful to those around me with what i've learned....

more and more i'm interested in the healing than the hurting, combat is always fun, but i think Morihei Ueshiba, Myamoto Musashi and a few others had it right when they described the butchering of the name warrior...

that's what i want - peace -
    joe

10. Alias

Alias New Member

I too became interested in martial arts due to the movies, primarily Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. I trained in Karate from the ages of 7 to 11 before quitting. I started training in Bushi-Kempo Jiu-Jitsu three years ago, stopped for 10 months this year, and have now resumed jiu-jitsu.

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I started training when I was about 10 or 11 because Judo seemed like a really cool thing to do. I still think martial arts are really cool, even though I don't do Judo any more. I think I'm hooked!

12. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I walked into my local community ceenter for my weekly duke of edinburgh's award meeting.
    "Do you fancy having a go at the karate class?"
    "yeah, sure man. groovy."

13. xubis

xubis New Member

I did kickboxing from about 6-12, I didn't learn much till about when I was 8, I became more focused. I got into it because I was in a park with my cousin, and some kids from school was giving him trouble and things got a little rough, he came out on top and I was like "Wow cool" so I started it. I then stopped as I moved, 2 years later, I have taken up Shotokan Karate. How I got into it? No idea lol, I had a sudden urge to take up martial arts again, probably movies ;)

14. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I always really wanted to learn, I saw 2 near by instructors in my area, then I begged and begged my parents until they allowed me to learn.

15. clutchdoctor

clutchdoctor Tae Kwon Do Do

I always wanted to learn, i'm also someone who was probobly incuraged by movies, but how cares. my cousin reached his black and told me he would train me for free if i wanted too, that f word is why i never took it up before, it always cost too much for my family. anyways, i'm just starting but man do i enjoy it, i don't think i'll ever stop.

16. Fluffy Wabbit

Fluffy Wabbit New Member

Never really considered it. Then got quite seriously mugged for absolutely no reason by 10 blokes within spitting distance of my house (all got arrested and slapped on the wrists). Since then the world has seemed a little more threatening.

Realised that I needed self-confidence boosted so eventually started learning a bit of kickboxing.

Well aware I still couldnt deal with the group mugging situation but feel now that if it happened again I could at least be a better disincentive for these ppl picking on strangers than non-compulsory community service. That vital Kick hard and run strategy is finally learnt.

And now i'm just enjoying it too much.

17. Trinity_opt

Trinity_opt New Member

I started Judo at age eleven because martial arts always was glamourous to me, and my uncle took Judo. Unfortunately, when my family moved too far away from the dojo, I had to quit. For a few years I didn't really think much about doing anything, then a seriously bad thing happened and my self worth was trashed.

On my way home from where I worked at the time, I always passed a Tae Kwon Do dojang that always sparked a bit of interest, Tae Kwon Do just always looked neat to me. And during my time of trying to rebuild myself, I decided that martial arts would be a step in the right direction, so I gave the school and Tae Kwon Do a shot. And yes, it has given me a sense of rebuilding self worth.

--Trinny

18. Pika

Pika New Member

UFC 1

19. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

parents put me in i guess to give them some free time dont think they where coping well with first born..... mom had 2 miscariages first so i think it took a lot out of her and she needed a break ..

to little to know realy just did what was told.....
    around 7 had first fight with best friend be was bad mouthing me so i punched him in the chest he had to go to hospital for exrays had small fracture ...... then my parents broke up (dad cheated) told him good ridance (i was protective) moved to farming country only thing there was samuri karate (hmm) mum took me there when i was ten moved to ferntree gully took up tkd with Joon No did that for a couple of years moved again ,,at high school saw a year 9 girl take apart a year 11 guy who had been harrasing her at the canteen thought ...cool... found out she did mauy thai and kick =boxing did that for a bit..... big tatooed cousin from moms side came over one day asked if i wanted to do kung fu with him said sure started wing chun .... tried a lot of other classes and did a couple for a few months while learning wing chun ..... met better half ..was training in a park with weapons met my master teaches for free ....still training though im mellow now hes the only instructor ive met in melbourne who teaches how he does and if you saw him (unless you knew what you where looking for or had realy good senses) you would think he was just some quite chinese man :)

20. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

I'd say my honest earliest influence was the cartoon Hong Kong Fuey...Don't worry...I'm still laughing about it...Of course Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris...

I met a Taekwondo black belt through my uncle...he taught a few students in his garage...16 years later...here I am...still training and learning...