How could you use Taekwondo in a real street fight?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by John Taekwondo, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Valued Member

I know for sure I'd be much more capable of looking after myself in a street fight now, than before I started TKD. I'm not saying I would definately be able to handle any situation, but I'm much more of a chance of defending/beating someone off, than pre TKD.

The thread is a massive generalisation. I train with some black belts that I really do consider easy beats, who I doubt would be able to handle a full on attack from someone half decent. On the other hand, there is some members that train the house down, they live for TKD and have strengths in all areas of TKD. I wouldn't like to be someone picking them on the street. They have great speed, power, and like to get in close as much as they like to have some room.

TKD is extremely usefull.

2. miagi

miagi New Member

Ok for real effective street defence it's ok to have plan's and stuff to drop the other guy, but you got to think about the build, the strength and all that kinda stuff. If you watch real street fights like i do then you will know what i mean, everyone is different so on the street sometimes the best case scenario is playing dirty= eye's, testacles, knee caps.This comment isn't aimed at any of you i just wanted to be in the equasion.

3. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Fighting on teh str33t is all about not getting your head caved in.

If that means walloping some poor chap in his meat and 2 veg, then do it.

Unless it makes him even more angry. Then you're in trouble...

4. shoulung

shoulung New Member

its funny how people think that all street fights are done with tough as nails harden fellons and have killed 47 people with there bare hands. unless you're being mugged, 99% of the time you will fight some stupid thug, drunk, or a drunk thug that is not use to fighting. the simple fact that you have put a little forethought into it is gonna help you alot. good TKD in a street fight should go as following.
    keep your hands up. gaurd your damn head. a solid punch can end a fight before it begins
    very fast precise kicks with lots of power in them. kick to vital areas, goin, knees, the femoral arterie, floating ribs, the outer ridge of the pevis. even stomps to the toes can really help.
    dont always go for the big round house kick (although that can be a really good technique, so dont forget about it)
    good foot work. keep light on your feet. don't get caught out of position. you will get thrown on your ass if you dont do this.
    keep at long distance, you can jam your own kicks if you get to close. if you enter mid range you pretty much have to use hands or knees. and close range you will go into a clench.
    the problem with lots of kicks is you are prone to takedowns (most people really suck at takedowns though).
    but be carefull. I really wouldn't try to many high kicks to the head in a street fight.
    this will by no means garuntee victory, but this is an idea of how to use TKD kicks in a street fight. and as they say, a little training goes a long way

5. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

I would use a spinning mule kick then after he falls down and hits his head on the pavment Id tear his head off and heart out then go home and have tea. :D :bang: