How could you use Taekwondo in a real street fight?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by John Taekwondo, Mar 3, 2006.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

1, Train.

2, Train harder.

3, Train even harder.

4. ................................

2. John Taekwondo

John Taekwondo New Member

no

no he has a blue hat tho! i think his name is bill!

3. John Taekwondo

in my tkd academy we do not really get taught how to fight against someone with poor techniques. Can you really prepare yourself against the unexpected?

4. Ashford

Ashford New Member

I would try a low section kick to his knee, hoping it would drop him to atleast his knees. Then his head it the perfect height for a roundhouse, or whatever else you fancy throwing in, maybe a spinning back kick to ward other have-a-go brawlers off. If he ended flat on his face i would try an axe kick or something. Being leggy is sometimes good :) *touches wooden desk* Hopefully i'll never have to find out if this would work.

5. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Well that's like trying to box a boxer, wrestle with a wrestler.

I.E. Don't step into their game, it would be harder for a untrained person to fight against someone with good technique then a trained person to fight against someone with poor techniques.

6. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

You're fighting a smurf?

7. John Taekwondo

i didnt ask him!

:)

he might of been... u never no

the smurfs..theyre everywhere!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  8. miagi

miagi New Member

To all the people who say they will give them everything and then call the cops are a bit silly in my mind. If you are just going to give up like that then what are you taking taekwondo for, dosen't this teach you how to defend yourself. It's easy, kick the knee's, no man can fight without use of his knee's now can they.

9. Deaths Angel

Deaths Angel New Member

Keep it simple! use your basic kicks which you personally are most experienced with. me eg.. side kick, and turning kick.
    an example.
    In a street fight i would be looking to end it asap, so first make distance, a quick hop bacwards etc then i would fire in full force with a front foot side kick(pick your target head, gut etc which ever is more open and you are confident that the message will be recieved) and full power turning kicks each side for the finish or making your point or whatever :woo: ,

i am basing this on personal experience of getting into a fight outside, now this worked for me at the time and under the circumstances.(note i try every possibility to avoid in first place, but sometimes just not possible)
    general points = keep it simple and effective!!

10. SuGyong

SuGyong New Member

Miagi,

Actually, my original post was meant to be a fun thing to laugh at. :p

It's obvious that you're younger and confident as younger people are and have never been put into those situations. I have. Three times to be specific. (once while I was pregnant) And each time it was different, but it boiled down to about the same thing. Let's start out with some honest facts, ok?

=I take tae kwon do because it's fun, i like to spar, and I get a good workout. :bang:

=My entire family is military and civilian police. Some died. I have a notion of what their daily lives are like out in the field.. (I suppose, though, that this hasn't got much to do with the topic at hand..) :woo:

=As far as I know the fastest recorded throw or kick is still short of the speed of bullets no matter what Superman can do. I'm not him. :rolleyes:

=I don't live in a kung fu movie where the good guys always win and no one dies.

=I'm not a trained professional street fighter or SWAT team member.

=I'm also not stupid. (I think.. LOL) :D

=I have 2 very small children and an awesome husband that I like to make it home to every day. :love:

So yeah. I give them whatever they want and call the police.

11. DarthSciurus

DarthSciurus Valued Member

SuGong has some valid points. But whoever's robbing you is probably scared as hell to begin with... you twitch your eye funny and he might just pull the trigger. Better to do something unexpected and really really fast, I think.

In just a FIGHT though, instead of an armed robbery? In TKD, punches and kicks are thrown in a split second. And they have a lot better technique, as stated before. It's tougher against some guy set on fire-at-random than against someone predictable, but you've still got a big advantage. You don't know what he's doing, but you know what you're doing, whereas he doesn't know what you're doing OR what he's doing.

12. Dae Han

Dae Han New Member

On the contary, its quite good to openly talk about a style's effectiveness on the street.
    To answer the original question, It really boils down to your training methods. If you practice patterns for SD, you're in trouble, if you think sparring is effective for SD you're introuble also.
    To be anyway prepared for the street you need to have a knowledge of RBSD, clinch, ground and full contact striking. This is where TKD is weak.
    So by asking these types of questions in forums like this is a unique way exploring the pro's and con's of Taekwon-Do training. Thats why there are moderators, they decide whether its stupid or not, I certainly don't think its stupid.
    So a question to the OP, what type of training do you do in TKD class?

The answer to this will determin how you will react in a SD situation.

D

13. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Its all about guessing what might or could happen you won't know what you would or could do until it happens thats why I think this thread is a waste of time. But if you like making up storys of what could happen to you and how to get out of it then I surpose you might like this thread.

I can think the thread is pointless without the moderators telling me it is.

14. John Taekwondo

The thread is meant to show different peoples opinions and advice on what tkd techniques would be efficient a street fight. NOT to guess what might happen.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  15. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

But surely GUESSING what techniques would work in a street fight involves some guess work as to what your opponent would do.

16. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

If your gonna use tkd in a street scuffle puhnch high kick low and make sure you hit em harder than they hit you. Theese are tkd effective threads are getting ridiculous

17. Dae Han

Dae Han New Member

Thats ridiculous if you don't mind me saying. Obviously you don't train SD with any sense of realism.
    Nobody said anything about making up stories. If you think its a waste of time, why are you here then?

Let me ask you someting what way to you trian for self defence?

18. John Taekwondo

im not the only one then

amen

19. red-tkd

red-tkd bloodred ridin' hood

since i started tae kwon - do i only got in one situation where i actually used it.
    A guy at school thought it was cool to bully me around. He gripped me at my jacket right beneath my throat.
    I tried a lock but i had damn gloves on so my lock failed patheticly.
    One of his friends stopped him then, but still he decided to throw a punch right in my face...<<< The point where TKD saved the day >>>...yeah i used Chukyo makki, that high block, knocked his punch away and told him to **** off.

So, a real street fight comes up fast and just at that point where you are least prepared. My teacher just told me: "Try to evade the fight. If that fails take him down with a fast attack."

Which technique now to use? I'd say blocks, and hits to the body, since the "victim" cannot really say you gave him a beating, coz there aren't any real traces of your actions.

just my 2cent

20. Dae Han

Dae Han New Member

Well done on using your training to get you out of a situation!
    One thing I would pick up though, in a aserious street situation, the body would be the last place I would go for as it can hard to get a good shot in on it, stick with the sensitive parts of the body. Eye gouging for one is effective, the power slap using double hip across the ears is effective all strikes to the throat are effective.. you need to think outside of the box for street SD! It could well be your life on the line!

D