how come......or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ptkali778, Apr 25, 2004.

1. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

why is it that the more you learn martial arts, the more scared you are of getting into a fight (and you're more likely to walk away) ?? :confused:

2. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

I don't think that as I've trained I have got more scared of getting into fights, I just don't want to, and in general walking away is the best course of action anyway. One of the major side benefits for me has been my ability to control my anger, I was always snapping at people when I was younger, but now I if somebody upsets me I just feel, 'hey, it's not important', and I find that I don't end up in situations were violence is likely to happen anymore, is it training or just getting older ? I don't know.

On the other side of the coin, I know that I am more able to defend myself, and more importantly to me, defend the people I care about, if a violent situation arises. The only thing that 'scares' me, if thats the right word, is would I have the self control to stop if somebody had attacked me or somebody I was with, all of us that train, especially if we have been doing it a number of years, know potentially lethal techniques, is this something that people worry about, as it's impossible to simulate that type of high stress / anxiety situation, however realistic your training scenarios

Neil

3. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello PTkali778,

The more you train the more you realize how fragile the human body and life truely is. So you do your best to walk somewhat humbly,and avoid conflict.

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

4. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Thats not true with me, i don't get more scared about getting into fights, if anything i've become less afraid and accepted that 'sh!t happens!' if i get into a fight, blows will be exchange and things like pain, bruises etc are only temporarily- i practice judo and its given me waaaaaaaay more confidence.

And when people walk away, its not cause their scared its because they have more sense, besides i'm sure alot of people who do walk away could easily clobber that someone starting a fight. I know i could handle my self against the people trying to start on me and knowing judo is jus like the icing on the cake... hehehe.

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

This is a good thing right?

6. Airyu

Airyu Valued Member

Hello,

Please note that I didn't say "scared", you just know that the body is fragile in many ways. Ego is what gets most people killed. Not having the confidence in oneself to just walk away from many stupid arguements or people for that matter. I have no problem, bringing it on when I have to, but it is better not to "have to."

Gumagalang
    Guro Steve L.

7. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

When I was a kid, I thought I was invincible. Trained with live sharp blades, almost everyday, almost anywhere. I can take any of them on.

Then I got stabbed. I knew what it was to get cut in a fight. I also found out that, no matter how good you are, as we say in Filipino "pwede ka pa ring matsambahan"--anyone can get a lucky strike in. And that lucky strike can be a knife. Only my hand got stabbed that time, but I couldn't use it for a month.

Since then, even though I still train to be able to win fights, I no longer have any illusions as to my "greatness" and, yes, am scared (as in, frightened but not panicked) about facing another blade; especially now that I am fat and no longer in shape.

Sayounasa and Sayounachi is still the best defence.

Pax.

8. deCadena

deCadena New Member

Sayonasa and sayonachi are still the best! I agree but I think I can't get that far. Am too fat hahaha.

9. LastFMArnisador

LastFMArnisador New Member

sayounasa ? sayounachi ? what is that ?

aikido techniques ? or something with japanese budo ?

10. deCadena

deCadena New Member

saynachi - sort of an acronym for a tagalog phrase (sayo na tsinelas ko) meaning My Slippers are yours

sayonasa - My shoes are yours (sayo na sapatos ko)

In short,
    Running! hehehe

11. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

The more you know about fighting the less you want to do it. :)

Reasons include:

1. You have proven yourself through your training and no longer feel the need to prove anything;

2. You have been training many years and are no longer 14 and talk about "da Str337" on the Internet;

3. You have been training and have been hurt accidently by others who do not know what they are doing and realize that a "lucky shot" can do great harm to you, even if you are a cybermaster of martial arts;

4. You realize you have more to lose at 30 (job, house, family, or your health) than at 14 if you get in a fight from criminal prosecution or civil litigation;

5. You finally reach a point where you want to use your knowledge to help/heal rather than hurt.

The above is just my own experience. :Angel:

12. bigd

bigd New Member

for one sometimes youll have doubts if its going to work or not.2-your afraid youll hurt someone more than you think.3-you start to increase your knowledge,and become more lethal,and your afraid if you get into a fight you could really do something yo;ull regret later.4.its alwaysthat doubt"what if it dont work"5-yo;ur afraid to lose cause than you think your a sucky martial artist.6-sometimes you wanna see if your as bad as you claimed to be.7-again doubts, number 1 thing.

13. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Hell yeah!!!

14. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

"da Str337" on the Internet;
    What does that mean?

15. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

thanks y'all for your time and opinion....I've been into alot of fights as i was growing up back home (Pinas), that's because i didnt care back then (Bahala na), i have no doubts that i can defend myself, family and friends. Now things have changed, im disciplined and care more bout life....learning and training in martial arts gives you an edge and the know how! Use it properly!

16. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Knowing your fear

I think as the years go on you begin to realise that it is not fear you feel, but rather its your bodies natural chemical reaction to a heated situation that kicks in.
    I have worked on many nightclub doors in some backwater places where their favorite pass times are drinking and fighting and have had to fight my way out of some nasty situations.
    This does not make me somekind of superman, it just makes me realise just how fragile the human body can be and also with the right intoxication just how indistructable some people can become.
    After many years of training and fighting I have the confidence to walk away knowing that I can hold my own if need be, but I also realise that it only takes a split second to finish it all for me or the opponent.
    You may say this comes with age. But then so does expeariance.

All the best

Pat O'Malley