How can you feel Qi?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 47MartialMan, May 7, 2015.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

just respond to this bit....

yes, you should assume that everyone is a either a liar or doesn't really know what they're talking about. extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It is too easy to do this.....especially to gullible and naïve people

on another note close to this thread;

What about these gloves/wraps with magnets or copper?

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What PR doesn't seem to get is just how susceptible we are to suggestion, and that it can happen without anyone trying to con anyone else. With the best will in the world, and with as little bias and expectation as possible, you can still lead yourself, and others, up a garden path that seems so convincing you would swear there is no way it could not be real.

Our imaginations have an incredible capacity to up the ante on our conscious mind.

What is interesting, to me at least, is that it is possible to practice woo-woo and, not only prove to yourself that it is not objectively "true", but also with further digging you can infer psychological models that could explain the phenomena.

This new discovery seems relevant to inexplicable sensations. I was somewhat taken aback when I saw it the other day, because I'd been shown the effect in action in a dream about 15 years ago. Reality only enters our world in that split second when outcome defies expectation - a punch to the face, a car crash... these few moments when we don't get the chance to construct our own narrative:

"Intuition suggests that perception follows sensation and therefore bodily feelings originate in the body. However, recent evidence goes against this logic: interoceptive experience may largely reflect limbic predictions about the expected state of the body that are constrained by ascending visceral sensations."

- http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nrn3950.html

http://www.northeastern.edu/news/20...point-epicenter-of-brains-predictive-ability/