How Can People with Disabilities Remain Both Mobile and Safe?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by KickChick, Apr 15, 2004.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

According to Richard Diamond, a man living with spina bifida, self-defense does not start with the physical. It starts in your head.....

How Can People with Disabilities Remain Both Mobile and Safe?
    By Richard P. Diamond, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Second Degree Black Belt Edited by Caryn S. Kaufman

As a person with a disability, you want to be able to go anywhere like everybody else, and not feel you're easy prey. You want to be as confident and secure as possible when you get on the street, whether or not you are a wheelchair user.

Nonetheless, people with disabilities are vulnerable to attack and often are seen as easy targets. So how can you remain both mobile and safe? Here are the basics.

Self-defense does not start with the physical. The key is to believe in You. This applies to every child, teenager and adult with a disability. Never believe that you cannot do what others are doing. If you look at someone and say, "I can't do this," then you are giving yourself an out, an excuse to be less effective than someone else. It is important you have a positive outlook and feel you can take care of yourself.

On the physical side there are things that people with disabilities can do -- that even a child can do. When someone grabs you, it is important to understand his vulnerable targets: throat, eyes, groin, kneecaps, and shins. It is important for someone who has a disability to use whatever physical ability he/she has. For example, "OK, I can't use one arm, but I can use the other. I am not totally able to protect myself, but I am physically able with one arm to do something to help myself."

It is common for people with disabilities to have a negative perception about their ability to defend themselves. Many people feel this way because they have never had anyone tell them or show them they are capable. The people who help you learn to defend yourself can only inspire you to the degree that you let yourself be inspired. While ability is in all of us, energy, desire and enthusiasm are not. Understand that you do not have to be an easy prey, and that disability is not synonymous with victimization.

There are progressive stages to self-defense. First, you have to understand your environment and how to protect yourself with environmental awareness. When an assailant attacks, he is looking for a victim, not an opponent.

The next step is understanding that a person with a disability is seen as easier prey than others. The elements of surprise and resistance can be especially effective coming from such person.

Finally, knowing others are behind you saying, "You can do it," is essential. Those who surround people with disabilities can provide the encouragement needed to be confident in yourself and your abilities to meet whatever comes your way.

2. Lynnee

Lynnee New Member

Hello KickChick.

Thank you for the above.

Would you object to my using this article?

Regards, Lynnee www.snappunch.co.uk

THE NEWSLETTER FOR WOMEN IN MARTIAL ARTS

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

4. Lynnee

Lynnee New Member

Hello Kick Chick.

Thank you for your reply.

I'll contact Richard for his reply.

Best regards, Lynnee www.snappunch.co.uk

THE NEWSLETTER FOR WOMEN IN MARTIAL ARTS

5. Battle Sword

Battle Sword Valued Member

how can people with disabilities remain both safe and mobile

Thank you very much for opening a thread for people with disabilities as relating to the martial arts. Keep it coming KickChick!!!