How can i lose some weight/gain muscle?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by thegaminboy, Jun 18, 2007.

1. thegaminboy

thegaminboy New Member

i'm a 16 year old male i'm 5'6'' and i weigh 137 pounds how can i lose some weight?/gain muscle? i'm not skinny yet i'm not fat (i have what i call a ''two-pack'' lol) and i'm wanting to know how i can gain some muscle mass. should i go on a diet and weight train? i'm trying to gain some muscle b/c my body's out-of-proportion. i.e. i wear an 11-11.5 shoe in men's (on some occasions i've worn a 12) my hands are 7.5 inches long my arms seem to long for my height and my head looks to big for my body ect. so can anyone tell me how i can gain some muscle mass? thanks

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

You can't.

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I'ts not meant to discourage you but to prompt you to think. Let's assume that through good training and nutrition you manage to pack on an extra 15lbs of muscle with absolutely no extra fat. You'll then weigh an extra 15lbs, right?

Plain and simple - you need to rethink your goals. If I was in your position I'd be looking to gain weight, with the focus on finding a weight training routine that would ensure that as much of that weight as possible was added as muscle. Whilst doing that, I'd be reconciled to the fact of getting a little fatter in the process - temporarily. I'd then finally be looking to diet off the fat whilst holding onto as much of the muscle as possible.

3. thegaminboy

thegaminboy New Member

so is it plausible for me to just pack on muscle? and can anyone help me with my dieting? i.e. what should i be eating? and can i weight train? i've heard if you lift weights it can stunt your growth, i'm only 5'6'' but my mom is 5'8'' and my dad is 6'0'' so i might b able to squeeze out an inch or two. so i don't wanna risk it =) (i'm just saying this if the ''if you lift weights it will stunt your growth'' is true)

4. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

fat loss and lean muscle gain can be achieved in your first weeks as its all fresh and new to the body...

more muscle gained = more energy required to fire larger muscles = weight loss.

however, the more you train the harder it gets to do both at the same time.
    In my opinion is is more preferential to nail your diet down and tweak the carb intake so you are able to gain a steady amount of mass each week (1-2lbs) and have enough energy for your workouts.

get cardio after your workouts as thats the best time IMO to hit the fat reserves.

slowly slowly catchy monkey, it takes time so you will need patience.

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It's a myth. For example this study [1] showed that while training through puberty, the only cause for not meeting their expected genetic growth rate was a lack of intake vs expenditure, or simply not eating enough. As for getting weak bones from lifting heavy, this study [2] showed that high intesity training improved bone mineral density in young adult males. When you factor in the increased hormones such as human growth hormone from resistance training and a balanced diet, it may actually help you achieve your genetic potential for height.

[1] Consequences of sport training during puberty
    [2] Effects of high versus low-intensity resistance training on bone mineral density in young males

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

True enough, assuming he's new to weights. But it's not something he'll be able to rely on for long.

TGB - as far as your diet goes, you're better off starting a new thread for it in the Nutrition and Supplements section. ;)

7. thegaminboy

thegaminboy New Member

oh ok thanks for your answers guys! and i used to lift some weights back when i was 13 but stopped when i heard about the ''if you lift weights it could stunt your growth'' theory. now i know it's not true i'll start lifting again. but my biggest problem is my diet so i think i'll make a new forum :)

8. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Don't discount genetics from the equation. Some people can pack on muscle without gaining body fat

As for routine ideas look in this thread.

9. thegaminboy

thegaminboy New Member

what kind of routine ideas would u suggest i do? i don't live close to a gym so it would have to be a @ home thing. also the biggest dumbells i have is just 15 lbs so i might need to up the weight..what do you think?

10. spirez

spirez Valued Member