how can i harden my body

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by deathmaster, Mar 21, 2010.

1. deathmaster

deathmaster Valued Member

in many martial arts like juijitsu , mauy thai and karate need hard joints and skin and there is some workouts and exercices done to be able if anyone could help with exercices and info :)

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

your info is a bit off. i recommend getting a few years of training experience first before even considering that kind of conditioning

better yet, why don't you actually DO muay thai or karate (no need to quit your tkd either)?

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Other than agreeing with Fish only thing I can help with is shins which is pretty much done by repeatedly roundhousing a bag and swearing

4. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

My instructoer recommends taking a escrima stick, or something similar, and rolling it up and down the shin.
    I'm not sure if it works, my shins are conditioned due to a clumsy child to late teens hood.

5. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

it doesn't.

6. Fish Of Doom

dear god, don't roll anything on your shins...

bones are porous. you need impact, to reach the "walls" of the porosities in your bones, which when healed, will thicken. it is these porosities which form the main support structure of bones, and which help prevent your bone from snapping like it would if it were solid. rolling something on the surface of the bone will do jack squat for it, since any hardening of the surface will be negligible, and will not prevent fissures, besides deadening the nerves on the area, which in turn makes it harder to feel when you're actually damaging them.

and stay off trying to condition your joints. that's just stupid unless you want arthritis.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sorry this is pure BS.
    It doesn't harden your shins and is actually detrimental to you shins.

Growth of new bone from the marrow side out isn't caused by rolling things down your shin. It's caused by repeated impact. That impact needs to be softer than the bone itself. So wacking your shins with sticks is also out. Heavy bags and Thai pads are ideal for this type of conditioning.

Seriously... this myth has been debunked time and time again and yet we get people still trotting it out. I suggest you do the homework and then give it a rethink... your shins will thank you. :)

8. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

1. Buy a heavy bag

2. Buy some ankle supports and bag gloves

3. Learn to punch and kick

4. Punch and kick the heavy bag :)

Conditioning the body is only part of it, push your self in training till you hit you wall (mental barrier) and work through it. Takes time there is no over night quick fixes

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

couldn't have said it better myself!

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No you don't need hard joints and skin. Well you do need skin but it doesn't need to be hard. The joints need to be flexible so they don't break and you can move easily without restriction.

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The best way to condition yourself to match your art is to train in your art hard enough to leave bruises.

12. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

Thanks for that, it's one he's told me and others several times.
    Like I said, due to my own clumsiness my conditioning is a bit better than others in my class, it's ITF style.

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Train hard
    With contact

14. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

If you want big knobbly calloused hands and badly damaged joints that you will pay for later in life, hit hard things hard. If you want to be able to punch and kick with force, punch and kick against (gradually increasing) resistance and do strength and plyometric training.
    Seems simple and it is.

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

That's a very traditional training method. It worked in the ancient time and it still works today. My teacher did it and I did it too. Today I can still ask my opponent to kick me with his low round house kicks repeatly, and I can turn my shin into his kicks. Most of the time my opponent will give up first (one time it took about 20 kicks before my opponent gave up). This is ancient civilized way of challenging. You and your opponent hit forarm against forearm, or shin bone against shin bone until one person said uncle.

IMO, most of the body condition should get from the sparring. If you spar full contact 4 times a week, 2 hours per section, after 8 months, your body should be to able to take a lot of abusement and the pain will no longer bother you. Your bone, muscle, and skin may get stronger but the most important is your brain will tell your body that pain should not bother you that much. It could be mentally than physically.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  16. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

8 hours full contact sparring a week! Damn but that seems impossible to keep up.

17. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Bottom line for me is your body will go hard when you die. Get it fit and flexible while alive and train NOT to get hit.

18. righty

righty Valued Member

Just a spoonful of concrete helps the medicine go down....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y"]Ronnie Johns - Chopper - Harden the **** Up - YouTube[/ame]

19. deathmaster

deathmaster Valued Member

hey guys maybe i didn't express my opinion the right way but let's make it clear somehow it's ancient methode in kungfu where a practitioner hit another one with blows in the body so the body get used to pain and the pressure so he doesn't feel pain also in the bones matter i watched a tv show about martial arts and they've shown some kareteka breaking some stones and they said that the chinese had a theaorie in the past that the constantly applied pressure in the bones would strengthen and increase their density them and that was proved with science later ( sorry i am not very good in english so forgive lake in vocab and try to interstand me ) i am not interrested in modern techniques i am only interrested in the old martial arts like chinese kempo and stuff like that

20. Fish Of Doom

dude, you were very clear, and so were we.

the thing you're talking about is called wolffe's law, and the only difference between "old" methods and "new" methods is that some are old and some are new. and guess what, while the "old" methods are based on trial and error, the "new" methods are based on physiology and physics, as well as trial and error, PLUS documentation regarding their effects, as opposed to word of mouth. that's not even counting the fact that a lot of methods are exactly the same thing with different equipment.

as i said before, if you want to do karate or muay thai conditioning, do karate or muay thai. if you wanna learn kung fu methods like iron palm, find a sifu that teaches iron palm and train in his kung fu style until you're ready, then do iron palm.

anything else will just be you doing stuff that you have no idea about, and you WILL hurt yourself sooner or later.