how big is a cd?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by mai tai, Nov 14, 2007.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

how big is it

how many songs can a cd hold.....or how amny minutes long are they?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think a 700 MB CD holds 80 minutes.

There are different capacities - 700 MB, 800 MB etc

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Moved from Off Topic to computing, title edited for clarity.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Additionally it's going to matter what format and compression the songs are recorded in (I could be wrong.... someone correct me if I am) If they are crap midi songs recorded in mono then chances are you can fit a whole lot more of them onto a 700mb CD than full stereo quality bitchin* recordings.

*technical term :D

There are dozens of different sound formats they don't all equal the same size. If you know more about the actual song formats that you want to cram onto a disc then post it and people can probably break it down better for you.

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

slip if i knew what any of that meant i probably wouldnt of asked this question :)

6. slipthejab

grr... :bang: :D

if the files are on computer - then you need to highlight one of the files and then right click to look at the 'properties' of that file to see the size and other info on the file.

alternatively switch your folder view to 'details' and that will also show you the information and file sizes.

You can then figure out how many of those will fit on a 700MB CD.

If they're too big to fit... you can then start looking at way to compress them... which might incur some loss of quality... or break them up onto separate CD's depending on what you need to do with them.... or just burn the batch onto a DVD... there are a lot of options.

Here's a sample of files that come straight from a CD - set up your 'views' on your folders to return that sort of view to you so you can see the file names, size etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  7. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

about five inches across.

<_<
    >_>

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It depends if you've got a MP3 enabled CD player then you can fit hundreds of tracks on a CD. If not about 20-24. If your using a PC to play the music then back to hundreds.

9. Topher

Topher allo!

Well if you burn the songs as data, then the file size matters (and you can probably fit hundreds). But if you want play the CD on a CD player then you would need to burn is as audio, in which case it goes by minutes, and I don't think the file size matters (i.e. a 3 minute song is 3 minute song regardless of the file size).

10. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

Yes, if it is for playing in a regular cd player then it will be converted to .wav format from whatever format its source file is.

Most cds are 80 minutes (.wav)/700 MB (raw data).

11. slipthejab

My bad... I didn't think anyone actually used a CD player anymore. :p
    Having a dedicated CD player is like sooooo '90s.

12. Topher

Topher allo!

Ditto.

My mum ask me to burn some songs onto a CD the other day. I like: "just get an iPod and some speakers!..." :p

13. Moi

I need a hard disc player in my car to convert MP3 and I don't want to take out the original.

14. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

:confused:
    What's an hard disc? :p

15. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I have to laugh at this hole thread but that is because it is, current day youths meets the old people of the 90's.

He means that he has to change out the cd player. That would cost money.

16. Moi

It's not the money, it's having Jap crap in my car :p

17. Moi

18. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

That still looks expensive to me. I can also understand not wanting to do it, because of the time and effort thing. Than there is the new one that comes out one day later and made that obsolete. ;)

I don't have one in my car and I am a Electronics person mean that is my job. I still just have a standard radio that came with the car. Yes I know how to install and have had a job doing that in past.

19. Moi

I don't mind doing the work, I put a £3000 worth of stereo in my car a few years ago. Trouble is as I was spending anything from 2-6 hours a day in the car it damaged my hearing. Still think it was worth it though ;)

I'm just being a snob, I like the inside of my car the way it's intended, some flashly stereo head unit glowing in neon wouldn't look right. Hopefully my next car will have something as standard.

20. SnorriSturluson

SnorriSturluson Valued Member

Naah, no sound system in the car at all. The needle would skip every time I flap the reins