How Accepting and "Open-minded" Are You

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Capt Ann, Jun 23, 2006.

?

How 'Open-Minded' and Accepting Are You?

1. I attended a school or work in a job where I was a racial or ethnic minority.

24 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. I've been an active member of a church, social, or civic group where I was a racial minority.

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. I have moved to a neighborhood where I am a racial or ethnic minority.

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  4. I have lived and worked for more than a year in a foreign country.

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. I have attended religious services in 3 or more different religions/denominations.

26 vote(s)
    60.5%
  6. I have been an active, participating member in 3 or more different religions/denominations.

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  7. I have worked for equal rights for members of a group of which I was not a member.

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  8. I've lived with a roommate of a different major religion, race, or primary language.

29 vote(s)
    67.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Most of us like to think of ourselves as 'open-minded', willing to change, and accepting of others who are different than ourselves, but in practice, are we really?

How often have you deliberately reached across religious, ethnic, cultural, language and/or racial barriers to shake hands with someone on the other side?

What are your thoughts?

(Note: the poll is 'multiple option', and you may select as many choices as apply.)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I got the bottom 4.

1) 3 or more churches services: check
    2) 3 or more denominations: check
    3) Equal rights for someone else: check. It wasn't "work" per se, but fits the spirit of the question. When political issues have come up I've never been shy to endorse equality for people different than me.
    4) roomates (plural): check. We didn't "live" together, but we were officemates for 1, 2, and 3 years. One guy was a Chinese atheist (3 years), one was an Indian Buddhist (1 year), one was a Korean agnostic with strong Confucian ideals who didn't mind talking about different ideas as long as you didn't push him to make any personal life decisions (3 years), and one guy was a devout white American Mormon always happy to share his views on religion and politics (2 years).

3. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

i got 5, but none were deliberate...can i still say i'm open minded? :D

4. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Of course you can!! But I guess the point in my question/poll was to see how much we actively reach across the things that try to divide us, and not just how often we 'bump into' others accidentally.

5. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

6 of 8 not too bad. Of course I lived in other countries starting at the age of 4 so I'm very open-minded.

6. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

so if you haven't managed any does that make you closed minded?

I have lived and gone to school in foreign countries, but not for that length of time. I am not religious, so wouldn't have gone to any services.
    I live in an area where nearly everyone I meet is the same race as me, that's the way things are. However I do not consider myself closed minded.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  7. Topher

Topher allo!

Being open-minded is your willingness to consider different views etc. One does not need to seek something out to be considered open-minded, otherwise we would need to quite literally seek everything!

An open-minded person will be willing to be proven wrong and/or change an opinion or opinions.

For me, I will evaluate the ramifications, evidence and justifications for something, then consider where I stand. And I often re-evaluate things and consider changing my mind regarding something.

A little quiz: http://www.blogthings.com/howopenmindedareyouquiz/

My result:

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

This does sound a lot like me. I'm open minded about people with different views and willing to listen to anyone, but I have fairly black-and-white ideas of right and wrong.

10. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

76% open-minded.

11. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I was only able to tick one item in the vote - but that is more to do with life circumstances rather than attitude.

On the quiz, I answered honestly and got:

As I was growing up at home, above the stairwell (so that you had to read it as you walked down) was the poster of the clear blue sky, and a section of multi-coloured parachute, and the wording "The mind is like a parachute - it works best when it's open"

12. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

I was 100% open minded till it fell out

that learned me! ;)

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I answered 6 of 8 on that poll, Ann.

As for that blogspot quiz, what a load of rubbish. Could it have been any more basic and skewed to make just about anyone seem open-minded?

I mean if Homer is getting 72% on ANYTHING dealing with religion it's gotta be wrong :D

14. KaratekaAndy

KaratekaAndy Male (95% of the time)

"I attended a school or work in a job where I was a racial or ethnic minority."

If you're white, that applies to any school :D

P.S. I aint racist, really, I'm not

You Are 76% Open Minded

[​IMG]

You are so open minded that your brain may have fallen out!
    Well, not really. But you may be confused on where you stand.
    You don't have a judgemental bone in your body, and you're very accepting.
    You enjoy the best of every life philosophy, even if you sometimes contradict yourself.

How Open Minded Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/howopenmindedareyouquiz/

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  15. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i thought that being open minded was showing receptiveness to new and different ideas rather than actively seeking to experience them.

16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You Are 56% Open Minded

[​IMG]

You are a very open minded person, but you're also well grounded.
    Tolerant and flexible, you appreciate most lifestyles and viewpoints.
    But you also know where you stand firm, and you can draw that line.
    You're open to considering every possibility - but in the end, you stand true to yourself.

How Open Minded Are You?

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

64%

I dont think the poll in this thread can measure how open minded and accepting you are, in my experience members of ethnic minorities are among the least accepting people in society (its a generalisation but its also true)

18. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

***You Are 84% Open Minded***

You enjoy the best of every life philosophy, even if you sometimes contradict yourself.

How Open Minded Are You?

Zing Gangrel! Capt. Anne, you know all of First Line State people are as open minded as anyone. Hell, we didn't even pick sides in the civil war! :D

19. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

You Are 76% Open Minded

[​IMG]

How Open Minded Are You?

20. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

The biggest problem with this quiz is that three of the eight options are totally offlimits to a very large percentage of the population. I got two of the eight, but am probably more open minded than many that may have gotten all eight.