Horse Stance Duration.

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Kea, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Kea

Kea New Member

Hi, I'm wondering how long should someone be able to hold a horse stance for. If there are any tips on training the horse stance then please feel free to inform me. I've been able to hold it for several minutes, but the other day I saw a documentary on Shaolin and they practise for 2 hours. I know that in Tai Chi it is a very helpful stance so please give me all you've got.

2. abcd

abcd New Member

tai chi

tai chi shi jiao nei gong. Gosh these western translations SUK! ok well tai chi is internal art, NOT external. Do not confuse the objective with the subjective! What is the object of the training?- standing 5 minutes?- maybe 10? ALWAYS have a clear understanding of your objective.

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

If your objective is just basic horse training for leg endurance,basic alignment,and "painful relaxed meditation" go for 10-15.If your using it,as sometimes in Chen style,as your post/stake/pile training,you'll probably need to get to get to 30 or more.As abcd said,it depends on your purpose in this particular training method.

4. sparrow

sparrow Chirp!

How wide a horse stance? TC = shoulder width, haven't tested it, but reckon I could last a while, we normally do up to 5 minutes. Karate horse stance - ouch, that's why I stopped karate - the kata I was learning called for a 180 degree turn in low stance, my knees have never been the same!!

5. Choices

Choices New Member

Then perhaps your posture was incorrect. Because it should not put to much strain on the knees, as far as i know.

6. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn Banned Banned

If shoulder width it is bow stance not horse stance.

Bow stance is used in ZZ, in meditation normally at 45deg thigh slope and should be parrallel feet. Horse stance is Shaolin but was forced on the kids in the Yang Family tradition and is also used in the Chen tradition. It should have about double shoulder width with 45deg feet and flat (90deg) thighs. Bow you can do for hours, horse is a killer if you are not used to it.

7. sparrow

sparrow Chirp!

I always understood bow stance to be a forward one?
    ZZ?? What would that be?

8. Richard Dunn

Richard Dunn Banned Banned

A forward bow stance is with a rotated waist, with the leading foot rotated toward the object of your intent.

Zhang Zhuang (jang jong)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  9. Choices

Choices New Member

during my qigong training, we went from bow stance to horse stance for 30 minutes min, to 45 min. Strain on the knees is kept to the minimum with correct posture, and the only strong sensations you should feel are not of the joints.

10. Kea

Kea New Member

Sorry for my ignorance. The objective was for endurance in the legs and for posture, alignment and breathing.
    Yes that is more or less the objective that I was asking for. The "painful relaxed meditation" LOL, I'm not inclined on that LOL. I used to be a Ju-jitsu exponent, Judoka player so I still have many roots of external training kind of in built. Tai Chi is quite new to me so that is why I ask.
    Somewhat shoulder width. I'll adjust for comfort to begin with LOL.
    All problems arise from incorrect execution. Each person is different in the way they are built, the answer is adapting to the suitability.
    Thank you, this is basically what I needed to read. Do you recommend doing this everyday? I think that it would have good outcomes if the horse stance became 'second-nature' and thought I'd ask you guys.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Everyday.Bump up your time a minute or so per day 'til you reach the amount of time you wish to spend daily thereafter.(The painful relaxed meditation is if you're doing a wide/deep horse).

12. Kea

Kea New Member

That seems reasonable, thanks.

13. abcd

abcd New Member

tai chi is internal NOT external. Tai chi is NOT tangible, you cannot "see" tai chi by definition. A tree grows from its root, its center, and its base from inside out NOT from outside in. Tai chi is just like a tree- harvest the internal and the external will come naturally- the external will be sufficient, plenty, ample, and according to the internal. Do NOT focus on the external- NO! If you focus on external, then you will be like a hollow tree- weak, vain, superficial, rootless, and DEAD! Taekwondo, karate all focus on the external but Tai chi is internal- which is why you can NEVER EVER NEVER EVER do both- (its as going in two totally opposite directions). Tai chi is a concept, philosophy, an idea, an ideal. It is NOT an object but an objective. Tai chi is the basis of life and yin and yang are the basis for tai chi. Understand Yin and Yang and seek Enlightenment rather than the vain physical.

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Very enlightening.
    -TkdWarrior-

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

This is Right...

buddy You aren't following your own darn advice..

I bet You aren't doing Tai chi... why? cuz Tai chi is about Balance.. Internal with external, Yin with Yang, Life with death... oops... :eek: scratch last part..

oh Yes pls give us superficial, weak, rootless and DEAD guys some slack :p . we aren't so bad..
    -TkdWarrior-

16. abcd

abcd New Member

A tree is only as strong as its roots. -DUH! lol who don't know that? So develop the root, the base, the center, the internal then all the external and everything else will come naturally. But if you seek the external, you will be like a tree just growing bigger and bigger without roots, center, or base. What is a leaf without a branch? What is a branch without a tree? What is a tree without its life and root? Its just superficial, vain, purposeless, meaningless, weak, impractical, lifeless, DEAD! This is why you can NOT seek both internal and external -its like going in two totally opposite directions, east and west, north and south- you get nowhere and lose all passion.

17. abcd

abcd New Member

so you see, tai chi is alll about seeking this root, this base, this foundation for life and growth, this meaning and purpose, this Enlightenment and Understanding, the internal, and Life- because when you have reached this objective everything else will come naturally- ALL the external things will not be vain but will be sufficient, Plenty, AMPLE, and According to the internal. That is Balance! That is Yin and Yang! That is Tai chi! That is Life!

18. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

That would go down a treat in garderners world, but this is martial arts, and we are not talking trees, we are talking people.

I have met Judo guys with as good a root as anyone. Your analogies are just nonsence.

19. bonita

bonita Valued Member

I agree that's how we practice

20. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Your tree story is perfect. No doubt about that...
    but it's just a story or analogy you can say...
    Here's another analogy... How do plant a rose? Rose a beautiful flower, starts from stem and then build roots? right...

here's another analogy for you... There'd be No you, if you only have daddy and no mommy...or mommy without a daddy.

You says It's about balance... right...
    so Where is the balance in nature in Life and growth, ?? Growth is a process of life.. Not the balance point of life.

How you'd define internal in Tai chi? and Why it can't be applied in anyother art?

-TkdWarrior-