Home workout, specific requirements - please advise

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sbi85, Jul 15, 2013.

1. sbi85

sbi85 New Member

Hello everyone,

Let me start with a fact. I'm not doing regular exercises at all. I'm 28yo and working full time, and I sometimes cycle to work (about 15min) but thats all I do for any exercise. For my 189 cm (6' 2.4") I weigh 83kg (183 lbs).

Now my aim is to get a nice belly because I have excess fat there. In order to get a nice six pack at some point I need to lose the fat above it I suppose. For that I would need to do cardio exercises to burn calories.
    Thats all fine.

My problem though is every time I start doing regular exercises I feel bored. My mind feel bored. Which makes me pretty unmotivated. I tried listening to some music or even some stand up comedy but its still not the best. The best would be to be able to watch some movies/series while I'm doing the exercise because that would keep me entertained and distracted while I'm actually burning off the fat.

So here is why I came here. Can you suggest me a cardio workout that would work this way?

It could be with or without equipment. (preferably with not too large equipment though). I would do it on a regular basis (even daily) but I don't really want to waste more than 30-40min a day for it.
    I was thinking maybe along the lines of a home bicycle or something like that. But probably you may know better or faster ways to do it.

Can you please help me with this dilemma?

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Balint

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What are you eating?

You might find things more interesting if you can see a small amount of progression over the weeks, for that to happen you need your diet sorting too.

I find it hard too, I like someone shouting at me :D Weights though I can do all day, well sort of.

You may also benefit by having some specific goals in mind. Saying "I want a nice belly" is all well and good but it's the end goal, maybe break things down into smaller attainable chunks?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  3. righty

righty Valued Member

It's your attitude that needs to change, and no one can give you a program to do that. You say you get bored and you don't want to be 'wasting time' exercising.

I have a great idea.

Start doing some martial arts classes. They will keep your mind as well as your body occupied.

I actually find it kind of odd that your first and so far only post on a martial arts focused forum is asking advice about an activity other than martial arts.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I used to get bored running. Running around a track over and over. That was boring. I hated running. Then, I started running on roads and trails. Then I was not bored. I am excited to run.

Find something you love doing.

5. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

First off-WELCOME.

You are aware that you are on a "martial art forum" instead of a fitness?
    That said, there are qualifying martial artists here.

Fitness has to first be a "state of mind"

This is;

"Wanting" something and "working for it", have to coexist on a scale of grand determination

If you don't have this, then you will never succeed.

The first thing you should do, is find a motivated partner.

Choose a gym, martial arts is ok, but most martial art schools will not "specifically target said goal"

Going somewhere to train with a motivated partner is far better than staying at hone training on your own

Take small steps in order to start and maintain the "state of mind"

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  6. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

How are you possibly bored? What kind of workouts are you doing? Exercise should leave you breathless and crawling on the floor while crying (joking? :D,) not watching comedies.
    I always exercise at home in the summer, I have my 2x2 bedroom and no equipment but a pair of good trainers and a speed rope.

I suggest you try some high-intensity circuit workouts. An example:
    100 rope jumps
    20 burpees
    15 pushups
    Move as fast as possible. Don't rest between exercises. When you finish the circuit, rest 1 or 2 minutes and repeat. Once you do it 5 times, you'll be anything but bored.
    I tried it today, when I finished I was screaming for water and a shower, I wasn't bored :D
    This kind of stuff takes no time- usually 10 to 20 minutes. Do it with enough intensity, and you won't be thinking of anything else. Promised.

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

it depends how much you want it. spot fat reduction is one of the biggest myths in the fitness industry

83kg at your height doesn't sound fat at all, if anything you might be underweight. if you are bored with/while doing exercise this is where the problem really lies. if you are doi anything to improve your core strength then it is unlikely you are pushing any limits (such as sprints, high intensity intervals, max effort lifts) to get muscle growth

if you watch any successful bodybuilders/figure athletes on youtube; or powerlifters (the new generation are no longer quite the tubby monsters of the past), any pro athletes in swimming, track, field sports, crossfit; even guys who work out in their home gyms: what these guys have in common is a good diet, resistance work of some kind (usually weights) and cardio, oh and visible abs.