Home Gym

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by selonimes, Apr 19, 2012.

1. selonimes

selonimes Valued Member

I was thinking I would add some mats out there. Any thoughts as to some good cheap matting that would not break the bank? I see zebramats out there as a top choice but they seem to be pricey.

2. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

You can look at your local Tractor Supply Co. for 6'x4' stall mats that cost about $35 bucks or you can find the puzzle mats at Amazon.com for pretty cheap.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

For the price of mats the question has to be made, what are the mats going to be actually used for?

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

47MM,this really is not far off of a troll post.

It is a home gym, probably with a concrete floor. What do you think the mats will be for*?

*Waits for foolish reply, totally dodging the question.

5. 47MartialMan

As a former carpenter, builder of many schools-gyms,

Some use mats so that weight will not gouge/chip the floor when dropped.

Some use mats in hopes of relieving pressure on ankles and other parts of the legs when using weights.

Some use mats to do throwing or ground grappling.

Some use mats, just because it is a better covering providing less slipperage.

Matting comes in different materials/thickness per the application

I have used a variety pending the application.
    And because there is a "budget issue", the application should be narrowed down

Now that this is all said, there are different mats for these applications, which application are you using it for?

*Waits for reply, giving my answer to a question which was NOT so foolish

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. 47MartialMan

I agree. Use anything within budget, just get it covered.

That exposed concrete could harvest mildew. (Which from the pics, looks like mildew.)

You should treat this.

This is how I would do it;

I would mix bleach and water and scrub the walls.

Then I would paint a mildew protection primer (like a product called Kilz)

I would not work out there immediately after both these processes are done.

In other words, allow some airing time (especially if you can ventilate)

In the long run, after you prepare the ceiling, walls, and floors, the gym would look nicer, thus motivating you more to attend.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Good point and a fairly easy fix.

I used to be a plasterer and it looks to me as though the plaster on the bottom three foot of one of the walls has been removed and someone has had a go at tanking the wall.

This would have been due to a damp problem.

8. 47MartialMan

Which is why I had asked what are the mats to be used for.

I have helped many people convert garages into gyms.

Some had budget issues

(For one garage gym, we found a remnant of carpet and carpet foam a builder was discarding. It lasted for two years
    Another idea is to check with the builders at a site. Make sure to get permission to haul away any materials)

I do not recommend the jigsaw mats for heavy walking traffic, or even moving around with weights, as I have seen these disengage and cause tripping. I can't count the times that I had to, or I have seen someone having to, re-set those.

For the flooring, plywood could be cheaper than getting mats. Depending on the amount of moisture setting in, one could use common CDX or BS 1088.

Any plywood could last. I would use a seal on the surface that has contact with the concrete. Depending upon the grade, I would seal the exposed-walking side as well (to prevent casual splinting)

9. cloystreng

cloystreng Valued Member

Thanks for the advice on sealing. I've never had the opportunity to do it since I've always lifted in the gym during the winter, so drying times would be astronomical due to the cold temperatures.

Unfortunately, even though it is a 'home gym' I don't live there much at all. It is my mom's house.

I figure when I graduate hopefully I'll find a place for it, or it will sit there until I buy a property with enough space to move it. Luckily gym equipment doesn't lose utility over time.

10. 47MartialMan

Ah. Then take care of that ceiling and wall

11. selonimes

selonimes Valued Member

I am thinking of something like this eventually, but on a smaller scale. As mentioned before I do have to make sure the swing set doesn't get in the way too much, but I figure I can set it up bit by bit.

http://woodsshop.com/JapaneseAzumaya.htm

12. 47MartialMan

That is nice with a certain "ambience". However, I would think it should have walls, bring that you stated you do Winter training

13. selonimes

selonimes Valued Member

Walls would be nice for the rain here in Florida. Probably would be fine during our winter. :)

With that said I saw. The pictures they use would both work. The only thing with the canvas is that during the summer down here you can really bake. I have a smaller one for parties and with the side flaps on its way too hot during the mid day. I guess that means I need to get up earlier then.

http://www.zebramats.com/catalog/elite-grappling-mats