Holding Heavy Weights on Back

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pobeli, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Whenever I hold heavy weights (bodyweight+) on my back for exercises such as squats, it seems extremely difficult. I think I'm holding the bar in the right place, as it doesn't hurt to have the bar there, but it seems so heavy. When I finish a set of squats or other exercises that involve holding the bar like that, racking the bar is often difficult because I have a hard time keeping from falling over. Also, my shoulders are always exhausted when I set down the bar, usually moreso than my legs. I was supersetting military presses with a lower body exercise and the first set of military presses seemed ridiculously easy, but I barely even finished the third set because my shoulders were so tired by then. Is this a matter of weak shoulders (I know my shoulders are weak, they're probably my weakest muscle) or am I holding the bar wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Are you using a bar pad when you squat? How much are you squating?

3. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I just use a bar by itself. As I said in my previous post, this is usually only a problem when I am holding weights heavier than myself. I can hold considerably more weight deadlifting than I feel safe having on my back. It occurred to me after I made my first post that it could be an issue of core strength... though that would not explain why my shoulders get so tired from holding the bar.

4. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

it's an issue of upper body strength. i used to have the same problem (still do to an extent) because my lower body was a lot stronger than my upper. work harder on your upper body, especially your core.

5. Athleng Nordic

Try using a pad on the bar. The fatigue is from compacting the muscle mass in your traps not form any work you're preforming.

6. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I think my abdominals are weak compared to by lower back... but I'm not really sure. Anyone got any tests to determine which is stronger/weaker?

7. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Or grow some traps. ;)

You might attempt some bb walk outs; this should get you used to handling more intensive loads. I doubt very few lifters have said once they start getting to maximal loads 'gee, this doesn't feel very heavy." Heavy squats require tons of stabilization.

Perhaps this is poor advice, but I wouldn't worry to much about whether your abs are weak compared to your lower back; just work both heavy and they will pick up.

8. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

as i was about to say lol, grow some traps!

if you havent got enough muscle mass under the bar its best to wrap a towel round the bar or use some pipe insulation

9. bburns1066

bburns1066 Valued Member

I just wear a hoody and role the hood up and that helps relieve some of the pressure.

10. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

Should I try some overhead squats? It seems they'd work my lagging muscles more than regular squats. Also, when I do squats, the backs of my hips hurt. It usually lasts a day or so after squatting. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, but it feels skeletal, not muscular. It's on the side, not the middle, but it seems to be right at the top of my tailbone. At first I thought deadlifts were causing it, but now I think it's being caused by squats. I believe it may be an issue with form. What might I be doing wrong that could cause this? The only thing that I can think of is that I might be leaning too far forwards but I don't know what to do about that. Sorry my description is so vague but hopefully you'll be able to understand what I mean anyway.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  11. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Not everyone is biomechanically suited for the Squat no matter how hard you strengthen your back. Try using a cambered bar to see if you feel any improvements. Personally I quit squatting one year ago after 8 years of straight squatting. My body just snapped and said: No more Squatting cos you are following a dead-end road.

I enjoy deadlifting more than ever especially when using a Trap Bar (alternatively you can use a Shrug Bar).

I have attached both images of a Cambered Bar and a Trap Bar.

Good luck mate!

DC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  12. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I like deadlifting better too, partly because I can handle a lot more weight in the deadlift. My deadlift was giving me problems for a while but I've been working on the form and I think I may have fixed it now. I'm deadlifting today so I guess I'll find out then.

13. Durkhrod Chogori

And the good thing about DL is that you get a thicker body and you are working on your grip as well. Please leave those straps alone! :)

DC.

14. Athleng Nordic

Okay growing Traps will help I'll agree, but traps doesn't protect the spine that the bar rest's on. The pressure from heavy weight is still on the spinal ridge and the pad is there to protect that. The bar generally rests on most people bewteen the C-6 and the DT- 2. This is in the transition point from the Cervical to the Dorsal Thoracic.

That being said, Durkhrod Chogori shows a trap-bar. I love mine, but I still do traditional squats.

15. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

I believe that my problems may be caused by overtraining as everything has been hurting recently. Today, I started out to deadlift 177 pounds for 5x6, expecting it to be pretty easy. I picked the bar up one time and it felt like it weighed a ton. I finished the first three sets, but by the fourth set I was too worn out to finish. I dropped the weight to 155, which should have been extremely easy, but failed once again. I was supersetting with dips, 5x6 as well, wearing 25 pounds. The first 4 sets all seemed pretty easy, but on the last set I only managed 1 dip. It's as if my body said, "Enough is enough," and just quit working. I'm planning on taking the rest of the week off and starting back up Tuesday if I feel up to it then.

16. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

CNS fatigue.

Trap bar deadlifts rule :D

17. Pobeli

Pobeli Valued Member

How long should I take off? Would a week be enough?

18. Durkhrod Chogori

Sometimes I take a month off. Cyle your training mate. Listen to your body first. You are not gonna lose your legs if you have a lay-off. Just purchase the books Brawn and Keys to Progress to get some tips of how to cycle.

DC.

19. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

7-10 day should be sufficient. You might even spend a couple weeks or so doing something completely different. A few weeks back I hit a workout where I was having trouble with intensity that should've been easy. So, I spent the workout doing sledgehammer swings, spare tire throws, jumping rope, and clean cardio...nothing to strenous but it kept the body active, plus it was fun.

20. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Yeah, take lots of protein and do some LIGHT cardio, and you should be lifting the same as before the break, Maybe more.
    Remember, we grow when we rest.