HND, "foundation" BSc

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Victoria, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Can anyone explain the above in plain English?

From my understanding:

BSc = Normal undergraduate degree
    MSc = Masters
    Then PhD and so on...

Now I gather a foundation BSc is just a year or so to brush up before doing your chosen BSc, if your college grades aren't up to scratch or if you've done the wrong subject areas etc.

But what about the HND? Is that the same as a foundation BSc? Is it an alternative to the BSc? Or a pre-BSc for people who haven't got qualifications? The entry requirements are much lower for the HND than the BSc, so I assume it's a 'lower' qualification.

I have e-mailed a university about these courses but I'm too embarrassed to admit I don't know what they are...

Apologies for the dumb.

:D

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

HND= Higher National Diploma. What subject's this in?

3. Victoria

Ok, now I've found an HNC in the part time section. What the hell? Typo? Can't these things be a little more simple?? You'd have to be a genius to unscramble all these letters!

:rolleyes:

Biomedical Sciences KE. I know what they stand for, most of them, I just don't understand what level they are in the grand scheme of things.

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

There is/was a HND- my sister did one in Graphic Design, cant remember how many years it was. You could then top up and do a BA I think.

5. Knight_Errant

Ah right, I was wondering if you were doing art, in which case that would be a foundation year- I assume this is the same sort of thing but for biomedical sciences. Basically, it's a year to work on raising your game and to get you into university. It's lower than a foundation degree, but higher than an A-level. Kind of a gray area. Of course, I could be talking crap depending on how long the course is. How long is it?

6. Victoria

AH-HA!

I think, the HNC (still not sure if this is a typo of HND), upon completion, allows you to jump on to the BSc at year two. Smashing. Now I need the NHS to let me out one day a week :D

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahhh that makes more sense!

OT (For art KE it was a BTec national diploma in art and design- I did one even though I got decent A levels as some fine art courses wanted that as well as A levels back in the day, not sure how it is now)

8. Victoria

Yep yep, it does seem to be an inbetween for people with only half A Levels, or low grades, or adult retuners etc. It'll be quicker and probably more beneficial than staying back to finish college.

9. Victoria

There's that BTEC National Diploma again. I'm wondering if the BTEC and this HNC (HND) thing are similar. I've never seen a BTEC offered here, did look for it :(

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

The BTEC is just a year , I think it may count as a couple of A levels,can't quite remember it's that long ago. HND was definitely different to a HND as my big sis did the BTEC then the HND as she didn't do A levels .

11. Victoria

Hm. So it's the colleges that would offer the BTEC then. They have all these Access courses now, but I haven't seen BTEC anywhere! Maybe it stopped.

I think the HND is a bit higher, higher than the HNC (unless it's a typo :bang: ). The HND puts you on the final year of the BSc.

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah it could have, it's many years since I did mine. My sister who had the HND decided to quit and re-train as a teacher but had to do some B Units or something to get onto a BEd. It's all stupidly confusing!

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah it could have, it's many years since I did mine. My sister who had the HND decided to quit and re-train as a teacher but had to do some B Units or something to get onto a BEd. It's all stupidly confusing!

14. Knight_Errant

Oh right, cool. Personally, I managed to talk my way onto a foundation year armed with nothing but a few sketchbooks. Fortunately, the tutor likes people who spend a lot of time drawing.

15. Victoria

Hopefully the foundation BSc will let me in armed with 7 year old AS levels and "I work in ur labz :yeleyes: "

16. Knight_Errant

yeah, sounds cool. Let us know how it goes...

17. Victoria

I sent them an e-mail to see if I'd be considered if I applied. If they don't reply soon I'll just ring. Fingers crossed! At the worst I'll have to finish another A level which will set me back a year.

18. Knight_Errant

well, fair enough. good luck.

19. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I thought B-Tec national, was the same as the old ONC. Or Ordinary National Certificate.

Then you had HNC - Higher National Certificate.

Then HND - Higher National Certificate.

Then degree, BSc, BEng, BA, whatever.

Then MSc, MEng, MA etc.

Then your PHD etc?

20. Victoria

That looks about right from what I've found out this afternoon. I didn't know about the HNC and HND though, nifty stepping stones :D