Hmm....is it true?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cain, Nov 12, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

So - what do you think of the Firefighter's strike here in the UK? Do they deserve a 40% pay rise?

Hehe

Hehehe

:D

2. Cain

Cain New Member

VERY FUNNY!!!!!
    |Cain|

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Maybe they do deserve a pay rise Yoda, but should they be allowed to go on strike? Theres a family which have just been burnt to death. People say this wouldn't have happened if they hadn't, Firemen say people burn to death when there working anyway. Who knows, but its a bit like blackmail on the firemens part to me....

Whats your views cain? :D

I've strained my leg badly a couple of times and in a fight i wouldn't kick high because i wouldn't have stretched enough! And my kicking is generally aimed pretty low anyway. So whats the point of me stretching like a TKD person. Some stretching yes but I feel I get more benefit running or doing squats with weights. What do other people think?

4. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

"I've strained my leg badly a couple of times and in a fight i wouldn't kick high because i wouldn't have stretched enough! And my kicking is generally aimed pretty low anyway. So whats the point of me stretching like a TKD person"

this is because u hav been doing passive stretching(hope this is rite word) for example the kind of practice i do enables me to kick at any height without having done stretching even in winters...
    the active stretching include the "Intent" part in kicks...
    -TkdWarrior-

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Ahh....now that's a good point Tkdwarrior :)
    |Cain|

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Maybe thats ok where you live, India & Bombay. Have you been to England, its so cold I need to stretch before walking sometimes! ;)

But my flexibility went very bad after I tore some stuff in my leg. Its getting better but still no were like I was. When I stretch it hurts where I injured my leg :(

On the other hand I can still throw powerfull kicks and just about get to head hight

7. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

The admittedly small amount of literature I've read on this subject suggests that typically the greatest strength (actually the book may have said "power" rather than "strength", without checking I'm not sure) is exhibited at the mid range of the muscle's movement. This seems to be typical, but may vary for some particular muscles.

But I'd have to agree with the general gist of what I think you're saying - if you have strength and flexibility then you are more versatile than if you only focus on one or the other. I presume that relatively inflexible muscles are more prone to damage through extension than relatively flexible ones, regardless of the strength of the muscle (although obviously a stronger muscle will be better able to resist the extension).

Confused,

Mike

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Mike, sorry if I confused you, I confuse myself most of the time :D

Personally I believe strength and flexibility go hand in hand.

There are some really good resources on this on the web already. Look out for the stuff by Pavel and Kurz in particular. I believe you'll find links on this forum in the Magazine and Links sections.

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That doesn't make sense.

Where in a typical strength training exercise do you get stuck when you reach failure? The middle - which suggests that this is not the strongest part of the movement. e.g. A biceps curl will fail with the arm at a 90 degree angle - a flat bench press will fail half way up.

10. Cain

Cain New Member

Now I am all confused up :confused: :confused: :confused:
    |Cain|

Last edited: Nov 15, 2002
  11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Daring to argue with Dave without any qualifications, but surely Dave this is about the mechanics of the movement, not the strength of the muscle. If you start a bicep curl, the strength required to move a bar from hanging, to 90 degrees increases logarithmically, with little required to start the movement, and maximal to complete it. Get FF in here. He's an Engineer or summat clever.

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm....I myself am wondering....why does not Freeform show his face in any of my discussions? Hmm.....he even preffered to keep quite in a chat with him. I hope I have'nt hut him in any way :( I love his discussions though...
    |Cain|

13. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Sorry to take so long to come back to you on this. I did post a long detailed, convuluted reply a few days ago, using lots of big, clever sounding words. But my computer crashed when I clicked 'send':mad:

First, I'll reiterate that I don't consider myself expert in this subject. I'm just quoting/paraphrasing things that I've read in text-books. That said, I think its easy for there to be some confusion about the strongest part of the muscle's range. What you're testing above isn't (I don't think anyway) the strength at the midpoint of the range. Rather its the strength moving from the midpoint inwards AFTER you've already moved from the extreme end of the range to the midpoint.

A better test might be to partition the muscle's range into thirds and see which third can move the most weight. So you'd see how much weight you can move from the arm extended fully (180 degrees) to about 120 degrees. After a rest period you'd see how much weight you can move from 120 to 60 degrees. Rest and repeat for 60 degrees to zero (I'm ignoring the fact that the elbow joint can't actually bend to zero degrees because a) the bicep muscle gets in the way and b) the joint can't do it anyway). You should find that the middle third can move the most weight.

Remember as well that this is a typical strength profile for human muscles, some muscles may be exceptions.

Does it make more sense now? Or am I still talking gobbledygook? (wouldn't be the first time).

Mike