HMB

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

i got some HMB today from MyProtein, just wondered if anyone else has been using it? also got MSM but not opened it yet

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Got pulled over once and the cop saw the MSM I had. Got it bulk from a health store so it was just in a ziplock bag. Shoulda seen how big her eyes got! So after testing it I got a lecture on how it should be in a properly labeled container! :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  3. Princess Haru

just need the scales to weight out a single gram, thats not going to look good if i got raided, digital scales ;)

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Mostly use as part of a Whey, Creatine, All-in-one powder. No idea whether this particular one is doing any good (Elite Supps own brand and also Matrix's own).

I just consume for the calories. And because I find I'm (mostly) not that hungry for an hour or so after wake up...Due to your body releasing a shot of cortisol followed by about 80 grams of Glycogen upon open-eye.s.

But! I did get some Phd Nutrition combi whey, creatine, hmb etc powder a while ago. And that really did work a treat. Right away I could feel a real 'tautness' which I completely did not expect.

Why are you supplementing with HMB Princess?

5. Princess Haru

I read people's accounts on MyProtein and sounded like it would help with getting this elusive 1x bodyweight Bench. I managed 5 reps at 47kg yesterday which would put my theoretical 1RM at 55kg

6. SoKKlab

Really? HMB? I might start taking this as a separate item then (lemme know how you get on with it). I'm stuck at 260kgs for my squat (at 105kgs bw).

I tend to be a bit cynical when it comes to 'wonderbrew' claims.

Do you take Creatine Princess? From your log you train weights about twice a week or so don't you?

7. Princess Haru

i also use creatine with the odd week off, but this is only the first week of my second month of any kind of programmed training and i'm trying to resist any equipment, and i have some conflicting goals. for instance on my overhead press & press day i start with chinups. yesterday i managed 4 sets of 6 reps then 3 sets of 4 reps, aiming to get this upto 3 sets of 10 reps (ideally), then i do OHP, then some face pulls, BP, some rows, tricep pullovers, landmines and cleans if i have time. unsure whether it was the heavy DB bench and dips that helped get my progress last time i went with 5/3/1

8. SoKKlab

Try starting with a few sets of dips and chin ups to warm up and then make your Bench Press your first major lift of the session. This might help you get through your plateau. From your running order I'd say you're doing a lot of hard work before you get to your BP (a majorly taxing lift in itself).

I probably wouldn't do a sesh with two major lifts like that (BP and OHP). I'd split it out and do the OHP on another day.

Depending on your rep and set range I'd concentrate on doing the BP and the Cleans on that day. You gotta think that whilst the Cleans are a power exercise you're still working the shoulders and posterior chain hard. So adding OHP might be too much work at that particular time.

Like I used to regularly do Squat and Deadlifts in the same sesh. But that was too much work. So now each of my gym sessions is orientated to getting the most out of one major lift of my choosing followed by support stuff.

I don't do Bench Press anymore. I mostly do dips etc for chest. As I feel these are more functional. Bearing in mind I do a lot of silat stuff on the floor (harimau and transitioning through it) which works the chest and shoulders hard.

I always feel that leg, back and core strength, followed by shoulders is the most important emphasis.

Also time constraints...I don't want to faff about with a boob-booster when I could be working my legs hard :D.

I only train weights three times a month. So each time I want to break through a plateau...I tend to go back and work the middle range.

If I'm stuck at a certain weight I goto about 85 percent of it and build the reps from there. So if I could before only do 2 reps at 85% of my 1 RM...I build up til I can do 4 or 5 reps (and they're reasonably easy) of that weight. This has helped a lot.

I also do short-range reps for some (usually a set or two at the end of the work sets, with much more weight). Training in the strongest range of motion transfers to the whole range of motion. And Static Contractions can be a boon too (statics and isometrics are muchly misunderstood by a lot of folk).

Also you may want to experiment with your training frequency. Oftentimes taking a few extra days off between sessions can really 'scuuush' your performance. That extra rest allows for more strength gains. Particularly when you're doing martial arts as well.

If you want to keep up your current training frequency look into getting some D-Ribose. That's about the best stuff for refueling and replacing lost ATP. It also completely negated any soreness I had when I was doing more of a bodybuilding style routine.

As I'm sure you're aware really you're experimenting with a weight + reps + sets + frequency + endurance sentiment. Often too much reps, sets and sheer amount of lifts etc is the thing stopping your strength increases.

The amount of work you can do depends upon your predominant type of muscle fibres. Mine are mostly Type 2 strength and power. But my weight endurance (type 1 fibres) is not great.

I boost the uscle endurance side of things a little by going 'up through the gears' with my sets and reps. So my starter (warm up) sets are higher reps. But sometimes I run out of gas if I get the reps to sets ratio wrong (not what you want when you got a coupla hundred kilos plus on the bar...).

I do use a bit of creatine as part of an all-in-one powder. But I keep forgetting to take the separate Creatine I ought a coupla months ago.

Anyway good luck with it all. And please do say whether you think the HMB does any good at all.

9. Princess Haru

looks like i have a short list for my next Myprotein order in a few months :)

i was surprised to be able to do 3 x 10 dips early in a session on Saturday and finish with 2 x 3 pullups (pronated) the most i've done so far this year. i have read some notes on second ed of 5/3/1 which suggests a 3 day split. i was trying a 2 day split but wondered if Squat/Press and Bench/Deadlift was a better 2 day split. the 3 day includes Squat twice.

i just been doing a lot of browsing this Easter weekend and see that my lifts, weight etc is pretty close to Andrea Valdez. She mentioned pre-workout in a vid and I'm wondering if I stay with 2 day split that maybe I need this. She was also using a 531 type plan for workouts until recently

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66NK_ssyBMQ"]ANDREA TRAINING - Squat Day 9.20.12 - YouTube[/ame]

10. SoKKlab

D Ribose will cost you 35 to 45 quid a pot. Well worth trying it if you're doing quite a lot of reps/sets.

When I first started lifting 'efficiently' (before was more 3 day per week Bodybuilding style) I did a 3 day split. A bit like 5 x 5 routine.

Soon though I found - as the weights got heftier - I made more gains by dropping to squats once each 5 days. Then once a week.

Now I only squat once a month. A lot of folk are a bit phased by this. But I actually do a fairly hefty 3 leg-orientated sessions each month.

As you'll know the trick with doing any lifts a few times a week is to keep the sets and reps right down. In theory you could lift each day (like in P Tsatsouline's 'Power to the People') - But you'd only do a couple of work sets per session.

I see it all as an experiment that you do with yourself. To see how best you make progress.

I watched the clip (sound turned down though). Good to see her doing Squats well. Not sure about Leg Extensions though! Strewth watch your knees girl!

Good Luck

11. SoKKlab

Forgot to say - Yes I feel you'll get on better doing Bench and Deadlift together. And Squat and OHP together. As your main lifts.

I recently re-introduced Standing OHP. I stopped them for a while to sort out some Rotator Cuff problems I had.

And I do them in a session with Squats, Widowmakers, Seated Calf Raise etc

Did used to do Deads, Cleans and OHP together plus others. I found that I hadn't enough to really put full focus into OHPs though.