HKD kicks

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by klaasb, May 3, 2013.

1. klaasb

klaasb ....

I recently taught a seminar in Finland. Usually at these events there is only time to cover self defense. This time, at the end of the seminar, I had time to cover some kicks as well. Would like to know what you think of it. Do you do or see things differently?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBxYUwIjRy0"][04/04] Hankido seminar Lohja 2013 - Kicks (hapkido vs. taekwondo) - YouTube[/ame]

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice video - I like t he way you kick and the way you describe it. I've seen quite few different "methods" of kicking shown in both Hapkido and in Taekwondo and would say that this was a good demonstration of a common style of Hapkido kicking. Nice stuff!

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Why do you keep your hands down when you kick?

4. Twisting

Twisting Valued Member

I like many elements of what you showed, especially the use of hip movement in the roundhouse. i really liked the variation you showed before you did the high roundhouse, it showed great follow though. you also clearly showed the idea of adding power in your spin kick; i'm sure the students got a lot out of it.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  5. klaasb

klaasb ....

Why didn't you watch the whole video?
    Also I find it not necessary to keep both my hands up during the kick.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The technique looks great to me.

I have a few questions! What is your target when you do the reverse spinning kick? And what is the follow up technique say, if somebody closes the distance before the leg comes up?

Very cool seminar btw :)

7. klaasb

klaasb ....

The target would usually be the head.
    And you address a very good point. Once you are in spin and someone manages to close the distance and gets close to you ... you are in for a painful surprise I would say.
    As with any kick you have to know when you can and when you can't execute it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCdN8AIfAZw"]Barboza's Spinning Kick Knockout - MMA BIOMECH Breakdown - YouTube[/ame]

8. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

1. What Philo said, why do you keep your hands/guard down?

I'm not sure of the level of the class, but you did seem to be explaining some rudimentary kicking principals. Why didn't you go through the mechanics of the roundhouse? For example, the turning of the lead/base foot, positions, the knee chamber position before extending the kick?

When demonstrating technique, we would usually demonstrate angles of the base foot. For example, once you have fully extended your roundhouse, I noticed most times, your base foot has turned roughly 90 degrees. In regards to practice and technique we would practice with the base foot doing a full 180.

(Quick google fu, roundhouse kicking angles)

[​IMG]

That is what I mean.

Also this brings me to my next point, is there a particular reason, why your roundhouse kicks are angular 45 degrees, instead of being parallel 90? I now mean the kicking leg, (like in the chamber position shown above, if that makes sense).

I also noticed that you don't seem to kick with the ball of your foot or your instep, but more with the top of your foot (the metatarsals) surely this will cause unnecessary injury to the small bones? This would be IMO foolish to try when you mention around 1:37-1:39 when you want to kick "the temple".

You could also demonstrate pivoting motions better. Especially in regards to the spinning back kick.

Question, around 4:30 do you say you need speed first then power and then technique? I tried rewinding it a couple of times, but maybe I heard it wrong.

I was taught, first comes the correct technique, followed by speed. With correct technique x speed + mass = power. Also with repetition with correct technique and speed, muscle memory = generating more power.

When you mention "optimum" power around the 4:40 mark, you demonstrate and say not only with arms but with hips. I would explain to generate maximal power, it would start from the ground, through the feet + the momentum of the hips = power.

You asked:
    Hope it helps.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Very helpful thanks you!

I was just a bit thrown off because you were kicking waist height. I suppose you could kick them in the liver too yes?

10. klaasb

klaasb ....

There is no order to speed, power and technique. You need all three of them, but you also have to know where your strength and weaknesses are. Usually with age both power and speed will decline, the only thing you can keep practicing is your technique/skill.
    Of course without technique, you can only use speed to run away, and you can only use power with a opponent who might be physically weaker. (but why who he have attacked you in the first place). So yes, technique comes first but slow technique without power isn't of much use.

About the power generation I couldn't agree more. My point was just to point out that power is more than just muscle strength.

I will try to address your other points later. Gotta go now.
    Please keep in mind that I am not a native English speaker, it is sometimes hard for me to express these things in English. Sorry for that.

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's not really a problem if you're wearing shoes, the head doesn't resist much force [edit: for accuracy, I should say the neck can't resist much force]. Trying to kick the pelvis or patella might hurt your foot, but the head is unlikely to. The laces and tongue of shoes can provide a suprising amount of protection. It is best saved for soft targets in general though.

My only gripe wasn't anything to do with the mechanics, but talking about spinning kicks for SD situations. Asking for trouble IMO.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

For usual SD I would tell people what I told my friend in school. Little backstory, he just never had a growth spurt. He was around 5feet tall, got into a situation with a big bully at school.

I told him to toe pun the bully in the shins, then run for his life.

When the event actually came to pass, I have never seen such a huge guy cry out in pain like that before, from such a small guy toe punning him in the shin :p

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That technique comes into its own when you're wearing boots with toe-caps ;)

14. philosoraptor

I uhh, I did? I mean, I had the sound off cause I'm chilling out and listening to some tunes, but I rewatched it again and still don't know why you keep your hands down. Maybe I'm stupid or something. To me, protecting my noggin, especially in self defense circumstances, is priority number 1. Which incidentally segues well into my choice of tunes:

Non MAP friendly video removed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  15. philosoraptor

Apologies Simon, I didn't realize it was inappropriate. I'm assuming the issue was language in the lyrics? I will be more vigilant in the future.

16. klaasb

klaasb ....

While kicking you keep your head protected. Do you always need both arms for that?
    In the video I sometimes have my arms lower. I have to talk as well or point things out. At one point in the video I do say that people should keep there guard up.
    My preferred stance would be with fists at jaw level. This way it is easy to no only protect your head, but your liver as well.
    Generally; the higher I kick, the lower the need is to keep both my hands up to protect my head (during the kick!)

Another thing, this is not the only way to do a roundhouse kick or the only way we do a roundhouse. I am telling that in the video as well. There are many different kinds of kick which are all referred to as roundhouse but can be quite different in mechanics and purpose. Thinking up different names for all these kicks is a bit too much.

@CrowZer0 I hope this also answers some of your questions. Different kicks can ask for different angles of the foot and a different angle of kicking.
    The higher you kick, the bigger the twist of your foot should be (ie. 180 degrees). But it is also influenced by your flexibility.
    Stepping a bit out with your standing foot before kicking, can also add greatly to the power of your kick. Because you get the chance to kick more through the target.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq_LoRoi1i0"]Bas Rutten Kicking Techniques www ckotrainer. com - YouTube[/ame]

But I think that Bas is comparing apples and oranges. The roundhouse is demonstrates here, serves a very different purpose than the temple kick.

I don't agree with the top of your foot vs. ball of your foot. See what David Harrison had to say about it.
    I think that the importance of the ball of the foot roundhouse got overplayed when people started kicking boards with their roundhouse. In which case kicking with the ball does make more sense. Again, different tools for different jobs.

17. Dwi Chugi

Dwi Chugi Valued Member

I train Taekwondo and Hapkido. The way I kick depends on which art I am training in. In my Hapkido I have the round house you were explaining but the way you were doing it (with the instep) is closer to my Taekwondo round kick.

I like the TKD round kick. It's fast and it hits it target before the receiver even knows it was launcher. My HKD round kick is done with the ball of the foot and is done as a poking technique or as a devastating removing muscle from the bone technique. It is somewhat slower than my TKD round kick.

In TKD we have the spin heel kick but not in HKD. As of you throwing that kick low, I've seen people quit TKD matches after getting hit in the ribs by one.

Btw, just because these kicks are in you HKD and not in mine, I'm not cutting it down. I think these kicks have their place. I just learned two arts and the kicks were taught differently. Keep up the great work.

18. Twisting

Twisting Valued Member

^that is interesting because from my own experience, i've never seen a hkd roundhouse kick with the ball of the foot (which i've seen in tkd itf style and karate), but i've only seen it with an instep.

of course, wtf tkd style could have evolved and it does seem to use the instep as well, but the execution from what i've seen is still different.

the hkd kicks i've seen with the ball of the foot are circular crescent like kicks, similar to what's found in taekkyon. ji han jae claims that the spinning heel kick comes from hkd, and i tend to believe him if you seen some of the other original kicks which are more sweeping and circular.

also, i believe i have an old interview from a canadian tkd master named jong park that said that originally tkd only had side kick front kick, round house kick and back kick. i can try to dig it up later.

19. klaasb

klaasb ....

I was told something similar. TKD originally only had a limited set of kicks. Later they added the flashier kicks. Probably just because a lot of people just like doing them.
    The Korean gentleman who told me, said that TKD copied their other kicks from HKD. But since he was a HKD practitioner it could be that he was biased ;)

20. klaasb

klaasb ....

Here is the spinning kick as preformed by master Lee Chang-soo of Jinjungkwan hapkido.
    I think he is one of the big contempary promoters of traditional hapkido.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOOTSxqFfGw"]Lee Chang Soo - Lanaken 2007 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: May 4, 2013