HKD falls

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by klaasb, May 28, 2013.

1. klaasb

klaasb ....

After my topic about kicks, here three videos with falling techniques.
    Back fall, side fall and front fall.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raC2kAK4imA"]Chongmukwan falls - back fall (후방낙법) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZUIqQ-TwM"]Chongmukwan falls - side fall (측방낙법) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DdR3NK0pDs"]Chongmukwan falls - front fall (전방낙법) - YouTube[/ame]

I will post more videos in this topic later.

Looking forward to your comments.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Nice vids, they show the progression from basic to advanced nicely. We do the same falls in Kuk Sool Won, and my girls are learning the same ones in Aikido as well.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice video! (We do our falls about the same way)

Here's a few things we add in as well:

Back Fall - instead of rolling forward to get back on our feet, we assume that it may have been caused b y a bad guy pushing us from that direction. So, instead of rolling forward into the bad guy, we shift to a "side break fall position" where we can use our kicks from the ground or our leg sweeps if we have to. Then we lift our back, pull our bent leg under us and assume a 3-point stance (with eyes forward) to get to our feet.

Side Fall - same as above, instead of rolling forward in the direction where we might have been pushed down, we get up with a three point stance as well.

One difference I see is that we really try not to land in the side fall with one leg still up (it can cause a 'sandwich' effect on the groin with enough impact)

4. klaasb

klaasb ....

you can avoid the ball buster by keeping your knee pointed up. So leave enough space in the groin area.

The front rolling video
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvVvdL1MF-g"]Chongmukwan falls - front rolling - YouTube[/ame]

5. klaasb

klaasb ....

I named the topic HKD falls but I think that the principles for falling are pretty much the same in every martial art. Nothing truly HKD specific about falling of course.

6. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hello all,

Really great progressive primers on falling, well done.

Do you stress anything different for falling in the street in terms of impact points?

Again, really nice work.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Are there any falls where you minimise the use of the hands?

No slapping the floor and such.

8. klaasb

klaasb ....

@Dean, in a later video ;-)

@Kevin imo opinion the falling exercises are all about softening the body. When you can take really hard falls on the mat your body will be able to stand more impact. The body moves more natural. People that can take multiple falls on the mat over and over again, usually don't have a problem with falling a few times on a harder surface.
    I don't think that in a realistic situation you would take 50+ falls in a row.

9. Dean Winchester

Cheers.

I hadn't noticed that rolling clip, I see it's done a little there. :D However it seems a bit harsh on the arm.

The side break falls do it a bit from the looks of it but I wonder how that works off the mats? As above it seems hard on the joint and upper arm.

I'm not being critical just genuinely interested.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  10. Dean Winchester

To give some perspective.

In my art we tend to have our hands busy because there's often a weapon in hand or about the waist, so they are ensuring the weapon is safe and not damaged.

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I like the forward rolls video too!

Watching the "flip falls" (hoe jeon nak beop) brought back some memories - we also learned it by having someone hold the ends of our belt (1 guy on each side) to build confidence.

Very nice!

12. klaasb

klaasb ....

When falling with a weapon, more things are to be taken into account. You usually don't want to keep the weapon in between the floor and your body. Of course you don't want to fall into your weapon when there is a blade.
    Hitting the floor with a gun also doesn't seem like a good idea ;-)

The rolls can be done with a weapon without much change to the technique. The standard roll starts from the hands to the elbow, shoulder, and over your back to the opposite leg. But you can also start at the elbow or shoulder. Weapon doesn't have to touch the ground at all.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for the videos. very well done klaasb!

the only difference in what i was taught during hapkido was to keep the balls of the feet active and as a landing point. this way, the "faller", if that's even a word :), doesn't inadvertently hit an ankle or knee. per a previous comment by iron_ox, this was for outside-the-dojo applications and limiting contact points in the lower extremities.

also, since you mentioned other arts and softness, i've included links below to a couple of donovan waite videos. donovan was uchi deshi for yamada at new york aikikai. i used these videos as a reference when i was still in hapkido even, because they helped to give me the feeling of being soft and staying rounded. of course, once i started aikido i was good to go!

cheers! again, great vids you posted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OaicleoK4M"]Aikido Ukemi: Meeting the Mat - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogDN0ZghdQs"]Aikido Ukemi: Ushiro Otoshi - YouTube[/ame]

14. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

All of the hkd ones look about like what we do. We usually introduce the techniques (first thing we teach the fresh new white belts) at what they demonstrated as the mid level, and move into the end-level one's pretty soon after. Course, we have nice soft squishy mats so :hat: The front roll looked like what we do too, and we teach it in the same progression they showed it. Usually we only jump over things when the instructor wants to have a little fun :rolleyes:

15. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Rolling with a bo staff is fun :D Rolling with a sword or knife is hard :\

We do that as well. If someone forgets our instructor makes sure to remind them by making us do it a bunch more times :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013